• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cap's 2014 Grow - OW's taking over, little ones started

It's almost time for the new year which means an exciting start to a new growing season!

I've gone through my seeds and have selected the following for new starts in 2014:

Bubblegum 7 (KingDenniz)
"KDU" - KingDenniz Unknown - I think it may be another BBG7, but I'm not sure. Was an unlabeled half pod with the rest of the seeds I got from him.
MoA Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
FtL Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
7 Pot Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - These were some of the most neon yellow pods I've seen.
TSMB Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)
Douglah [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - Gnarly looking pods from this one
Bhut Jolokia Assam [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)

Here they all are taking a bath:
11487446663_90f3cc6f98_c.jpg

I'm going to attempt sprouting them on coffee filters in plastic bags sitting on top of my router and cable modem to stay warm. Have a thermometer on top of it and it is giving a consistent ~80F so I figured it is the best spot in my apt. to start these.

I don't have the highest expectations on the seeds I saved from Matt since it was the first time I've attempted to save any seeds. The TSMB-Y seeds weren't looking that great. Time will tell.
I'm also excited that some of these weren't isolated and there is a possibility of some cool crosses coming out of it. I'll probably keep 2-3 of each to see what I end up with.

On top of this I have a bunch of over winters that I thought were my best plants, or my only ones of a particular species, along with some late starts. Here they all are cozy inside after fighting one of the most epic aphid battles they've been in. I swear you could hear the aphids yelling "BATTLE STATIONS!!! PYRETHRIN INCOMMMMMINGGG!!!!" and they would swarm to where I missed a spot. They are relentless but under control now so we will see who survives the winter. 

11487336935_a25b8c82ac_c.jpg

Not everyone is looking that happy after the aphids so I may have to get a light rigged up instead of relying on the south facing window. It will add a little warmth which would help them out.

I'm really hoping that one or two BBG7 come out healthy by the end of the season since I have some plans for crosses with it.

I went the lazy way with mine, one big tackle organizer container.  I love the smell every time I open it up....like the aroma of heat lol.

Hope your germination goes better now that you're in dirt.  I ran into some mold on some I did in ziplocks in the past.  I think its too low of a temp that does it.

HillBilly Jeff said:
I went the lazy way with mine, one big tackle organizer container.  I love the smell every time I open it up....like the aroma of heat lol.

Hope your germination goes better now that you're in dirt.  I ran into some mold on some I did in ziplocks in the past.  I think its too low of a temp that does it.

Haha yes I agree all the little baggies are like a wonderful aroma of heat.

Thanks. I think it will go better in there. Good point on not quite correct of a temp although my thermometer said it was around 75-80 when they were on my cable box.

Germ rates will be a little slower and maybe lower now that they won't be quite as warm. We have plenty of time though. 

Vegas_Chili said:
Looking good CS! Nice OW and nice list.

Congrats on the first hook, that pod it came from looks mean. Hope all goes well and hope you have an awesome 2014 season.

-Walt
Thanks Walt! That was a mean pod. I hope some of the pods come out with the serrated edge it had on it. Just looks mean. 

Got some more hooks today too! 2 more Douglahs, 1 MoA helmet head (hopefully will fix itself), 1 FtL Scotch Bonnet, 1 7Pot Yellow, 1 TSMB Yellow, and 1 Giant Jal!! I need to stop and get a deep plug tray ready for these guys.

maximumcapsicum said:
Those are some wicked pods man. They look menacing.

Bravo on the roasted peppers. Making me hungry.

Congrats on the hooks as well. How many T5 bulbs you use in your propagator?
Thanks! The Douglah pod is actually one from Matt (MGOLD86) on here. I actually just have my little propagator in a bright room for now since it is the most consistently warm spot available. I have two 2' 4 Bulb T5 lights  though. Once I put the seedlings into deep cell trays they will go under a T5 with 3x 6500K and 1x 3000K bulbs. The other one is occupied by my OWs with 2x 6500K / 2x 3000K bulbs.  

Nice lighting set up. I got to decide if I'm gonna switch to full flouro or stick with CFL's. The OW's seem to be doing fine with 5000k CFL's in edison sockets in clamp lamps, but the light is a little more spotted than I would like. Gonna think on it a bit.

maximumcapsicum said:
Nice lighting set up. I got to decide if I'm gonna switch to full flouro or stick with CFL's. The OW's seem to be doing fine with 5000k CFL's in edison sockets in clamp lamps, but the light is a little more spotted than I would like. Gonna think on it a bit.

Thanks. CFL's work well. Especially if just keeping OW's alive or for starting seedlings out for a bit. If you need or want to go cheap make a "CFL Tree" and custom mylar reflector around it.

Devv said:
Lights...it's all about the $$$

But isn't everything? :D

But what works for you?
Ha yes it always is about the $$$. While more expensive I personally like the T5's for how efficient and low profile they are.

Capsicum Select said:

Decided to get organized.

Mess of seeds in random ziplocks
11613780883_d44056f734_z.jpg

Turned into organized binder all in their own small individual baggies:

11613783603_6bc94a862a_z.jpg

Great Idea. Where did you get the divider sheets?

SL3 said:
Great Idea. Where did you get the divider sheets?
I actually found both the divider sheets and the 2x3 reclosable bags at Staples. Should be able to find the sheets pretty much anywhere. It was the bags i had a hard time finding.

Back