• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cap's 2014 Grow - OW's taking over, little ones started

It's almost time for the new year which means an exciting start to a new growing season!

I've gone through my seeds and have selected the following for new starts in 2014:

Bubblegum 7 (KingDenniz)
"KDU" - KingDenniz Unknown - I think it may be another BBG7, but I'm not sure. Was an unlabeled half pod with the rest of the seeds I got from him.
MoA Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
FtL Scotch Bonnet (KingDenniz)
7 Pot Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - These were some of the most neon yellow pods I've seen.
TSMB Yellow [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)
Douglah [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86) - Gnarly looking pods from this one
Bhut Jolokia Assam [Not Isolated] (MGOLD86)

Here they all are taking a bath:
11487446663_90f3cc6f98_c.jpg

I'm going to attempt sprouting them on coffee filters in plastic bags sitting on top of my router and cable modem to stay warm. Have a thermometer on top of it and it is giving a consistent ~80F so I figured it is the best spot in my apt. to start these.

I don't have the highest expectations on the seeds I saved from Matt since it was the first time I've attempted to save any seeds. The TSMB-Y seeds weren't looking that great. Time will tell.
I'm also excited that some of these weren't isolated and there is a possibility of some cool crosses coming out of it. I'll probably keep 2-3 of each to see what I end up with.

On top of this I have a bunch of over winters that I thought were my best plants, or my only ones of a particular species, along with some late starts. Here they all are cozy inside after fighting one of the most epic aphid battles they've been in. I swear you could hear the aphids yelling "BATTLE STATIONS!!! PYRETHRIN INCOMMMMMINGGG!!!!" and they would swarm to where I missed a spot. They are relentless but under control now so we will see who survives the winter. 

11487336935_a25b8c82ac_c.jpg

Not everyone is looking that happy after the aphids so I may have to get a light rigged up instead of relying on the south facing window. It will add a little warmth which would help them out.

I'm really hoping that one or two BBG7 come out healthy by the end of the season since I have some plans for crosses with it.

The hornworms fight has begun!  This jerk ate half of my PdN plant and the flower that I tried to cross with the BG7:

14575263218_d00f2e7e15_b.jpg

They look cool and so are the hawk moths that they turn into but man they can do a hell of a lot of damage in little time.

This one is for Charles. Looks like the Assam seeds I saved from MGOLD86 are a "light" bhut. Not as nearly super pale as the others I had but close to it.  Interesting to see the variation in initial pod color. Most likely a cross since they weren't isolated. 

14575252309_373a806bc4_b.jpg

Here is the first TSMB Yellow. Time will tell if it is actually yellow haha.

14575203290_63b1633ab9_b.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Yeah, neat little pepper.  You could grow my pale bhut next year if you want to see how that one looks...  I'll have some isolated seed from this year's grow.
Thanks. I'll have to take you up on that offer.

Also, a question for you since I know you have made a lot of crosses. Have you found a specific time that is best to collect pollen from flowers? It seems they do not produce pollen right away when they first open. I would like to keep trying with the PdN x BG7.

Capsicum Select said:
Thanks. I'll have to take you up on that offer.

Also, a question for you since I know you have made a lot of crosses. Have you found a specific time that is best to collect pollen from flowers? It seems they do not produce pollen right away when they first open. I would like to keep trying with the PdN x BG7.

This is up to the pepper gods... I just grow them and when the conditions are right between two plants, I strike!

Capsicum Select said:

Haha I will have to do some praying that the PdN puts out some more flowers then!

Yeah, and if you don't get lucky this year, try overwintering.  Sometimes in our less than ideal temperate climates an overwinter will do better than a first year plant.

Spicegeist said:

Yeah, and if you don't get lucky this year, try overwintering.  Sometimes in our less than ideal temperate climates an overwinter will do better than a first year plant.
Yeah I'll definitely do that.  A bunch of my plants this year are actually OWs. I will at least try to keep the PdN and a few of the definite BG7s alive through the winter. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking pods.  They should be tasty. 

Devv said:
+1 on 89

And many more to follow!

Thanks guys!  I'm excited for them.  About to the Limon and Moca.

I'm working on installing a gravity fed drip system for when I go away this weekend into next week. While working on it I saw a touch of color on the shoulder of a BG7. Excited to see those turn.

So just tasted the Moca and Limon. Holy crap I have lost a lot of my tolerance hahaha. 

14704818530_963d9c77a7_b.jpg

14704954867_de33e633f5_b.jpg

Dedo de Moca (C. Baccatum var pendulum source PepperLover)
14888438611_314d7aa6e5_b.jpg

This is a nice pepper. Thick, crunchy and juicy.  The immediate aroma is floral with a sweet nectar undertone.  You get all the senses, looks great for a little pepper, rather unassuming. Biting into it you get a nice fresh crisp crunch and a blast of sweet spice. The heat is like a splash of warmth that grows and tingles like the warmth of a fresh sun burn after being at the beach all day and not re-applying sunscreen like you were told. Not over whelming hot but a definite kick to it. As it subsided I got a bit of sweet flavor from it, much as you do from a red bell. The after taste when the heat is gone reminds me a lot of a fireball cinnamon candy. Has the same feeling about it. I think this would make a great powder for everyday use.

Aji Peru Limon (C. Baccatum source PepperLover)
https://flic.kr/p/oDSZV7 by Grilled Cheese & Wine, on Flickr

Not a strong smell from this one, at least to me.  Seemed like a standard hot pepper smell to it. After coming back to it and really taking it in there is a very subtle lemon zest to it but with a bitterness like you get from the pith. Taking a bit into this it was nice and crisp (yay fresh peppers) but not as thick as the Moca. Good flavor. Definitely some citrus undertones to it but I find that bitterness lingers a little bit. I will have to re-evaluate this one since my mouth was still hot from the Moca. I can see why some may not like this one though. Not super hot. Very similar burn to the Moca and similar heat level. Maybe slightly hotter.

HillBilly Jeff said:
When you get time, post up how your gravity feed is working and what not.  My garage floor is probably 8 feet higher than my back garden and the rain barrels running along the back will be higher.  I am really intrigued.

Have a safe and fun trip.
Thank Jeff. I will definitely post about it when I get some time and it is up and running.  I haven't spent the time to run a few quick hand calcs on pressure drop but that is usually simple.  Generally if you have the height you can at least get a couple psi to trickle some water out over a few spots.

Back