• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn grow 2012

Outside in my backyard are the remains of my 2011 season carcass sprawling all over the backyard. It is ugly! It needs to be reanimated and made ready for my 2012 season within 2 months.

Inside of course the season has began all over again. I am very pleased to say that I am only germinating 36 variety's so far this year. That is down 75 from last year. Pending some trades arrival from Finland, (7 more), that will be all. I have managed to keep myself out of the marketplace where the seeds tend to flow like white water rapids.

Here is my germ list for 2012;

Yellow 7 Pod Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI Saved seeds (me)
Bih Jolokia
T. S. Moruga Blend
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Yuquitania
Aji Lima Rojo
Murupi Amarilla
Cumari do Para
BGH 1725
Douglah
Inca Red Drop
Costeno Amarillo
Onza Roja
Charapita
Beni Highlands
Fatalii
Douglah/ Faria scotch b. X f1
Bhut Jolokia Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Cumari ou Passirinho Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Trinidad Congo Red Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Guampinho de Veado Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Yellow Scotch Bonnets Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Tepin
Espelette Basque
Bahama Goat Pepper
(Fat Juicy) piquin Smiter Q pods (Thanks!)
7 Pot Chiguanas Peppermainia
Inca Berry Peppermainia
Aji Amarillo Peppermainia
Lemon Drop Peppermainia
Brazilian Pumpkin Peppermainia (gift seeds, Thanks!)
Maule's Red Hot Peppermainia
Alma Paprika Peppermainia
Zapotec Jalapeno Peppermainia

Also a few Tomato's and maybe some Goji Berry

I also have around 60 overwintered plants. Here's a couple; Good Luck to all this season!

T. scorpion B. T.
Jan122012peppers009.jpg

Hawaiian Chile seeds collected from Hilo F. M. pods
Jan122012peppers013.jpg

Well our power ordeal is hopefully over! Wood knocking now. After two consecutive nights without power. Just a little taste for 5 hours in between before another storm knocked out the power again. This time the electric folks decided to replace my transformer. Now it appears my aging air conditioner has decided it can do no more!

I was about to make a Hot Lavender Jelly when the power went off a couple days ago. I seriously thought about making the jelly by candlelight but I really needed the food processor.

I finished the jelly moments ago. Here is the recipe plus I used three each Yellow Trinidad Scorpions and Red Devil's Tongue.
http://whatscookinga...venderJelly.htm

July102012012.jpg

July122012016.jpg

New power
July122012002.jpg

July122012005.jpg

Waterlogged plants, around 6 inches in 2 1/2 days

Good evening THP
July142012002.jpg

Mike that sucks about the power and ac isssues but it looks like that yummy jam will ease the pain.

Hopefully it will dry up so you get get your babies fed. I know how all that rain can hurt a good grow.

Thanks for posting the recipe as well :party:

Thanks Jamie, Everything is good now with power and ac.

I forgot to mention one thing about the recipe. I used some of the water to facilitate the processing of the peppers into small pieces for the (soft Gel) Jelly. That water which was spicy and yellowish from the peppers went back into the mixture. I don't know if the yellow water or my visions (transparent light amber) cookware was keeping me from seeing the color like the recipe showed. It was more clear to greyish. I added two drops of red food coloring to achieve the color you see in the final pic.

The jelly tastes like a spicy sweet mint tea. I liked it very much.

Good day, Mike

A few pics update;
These are Gary's (windchicken) "stinger bonnets" I will have to taste these and see how comparable to T. S. Yellow Scorpion CARDI
July142012001.jpg

Aji Lima Rojo 2nd year plant filling in nicely
July142012005.jpg

Bahama Goat pepper, my only plant of this variety this year.
July142012006.jpg

Harvest buddy
July142012016.jpg

Have a great weekend THP. I hope to be making puree's.

Later Mike

Well we had a bunch more rain last night. Gauge said 2 1/2 inches. Mud city.

I finished my first puree's of the season. Trying to create some more freezer space. It was hot, mosquitorific, and generally miserable outdoors for making the puree. All just so my kids do not have to wear gas masks. Some day I will have a seperate building with plumbing just for such activities.

I think I will work on dehydrating some a little before I make more puree's!

Here is a little fella I found slogging thru some mud this morning. Don't know if he is going to make it. A male Red Saddlebags,
Tramea onusta;
July142012005.jpg

July142012008.jpg

Prep for making AJ style Puree'. Approx. 630 grams of Red Devil's Tongue yeilded four full 8 oz jars and one partial sampler.
July142012004-1.jpg

Puree's and some Chocolate Bhut Jolokia powder
July142012011-1.jpg

Have a good day everyone!
Mike

Wow Mike! I am feelin ya on the water logged plants! It has been pretty rough around here as well. But by the looks of it, you aren't hurtin too bad! I was out in the garden today, and saw a dragonfly and thought of ya. It was a blast "chasing" him around the garden. He eventually warmed up to me and let me get about 4 inches from him. Made for a few great photos! What is this and where do I look to find out in the future?

52edd7fc.jpg

902d0abf.jpg

Charles, They are a deep yellow to me. Not quite as far as Buttercup yellow. Could maybe be called yellow orange. They tasted identical to me and the texture was very close too. Same heat.

"Stinger Bonnet" on the left and T. S. Yellow CARDI on the right. Both pods not quite ripe, I picked and froze just yesterday. These were still on the plants.

July152012002.jpg

July152012003.jpg

I have been freezing them right along with my CARDI's. I have some first year CARDI plants and their not nearly as productive as these two "Stingered Bonnets" I got from Gary. My sencond year CARDI's are awesome producers.

Later Mike

This was intended to be a seperate post but oh well.

Matt, Your dragonfly is a male Blue Dasher. I've seen a female here but not a male yet. His species name is Pachydiplax longipennis. Makes you wonder what these scientists are doing! Just google image "North Carolina Blue Dasher" and you'll have comparison pics. The female has much different colors.

I use two sources of reference; One is a simple handy laminated fold out "Dragonflies of Texas" that I got in Austin at a botainical garden. It usually has what I need for ID purposes. I wanted a really good book when I first started seeing these dragonflies in 2009. Below is a link to amazon books. The book I got is at the bottom of the page. The book you probably want is at the top of the page. The reviews for it look good enough to me.

http://www.amazon.co...oks-Submit.y=13

Interesting, then the stinger bonnet was probably just grown from cardi yellow seed accidentally mixed in with the scotch bonnet seed...

Mike and Charles,

I'm sure glad you guys finally figured that out. I was never really convinced it was a cross, since two plants from the same packet of seeds were producing exactly the same pods. Beth could never tell me what they were, so I just came up with "Stinger Bonnets," because I didn't know any better. It was never my intention to re-name an established variety. (By the way, I've got a couple more "anomalous" pod types this year, from Beth's seeds...Maybe y'all can give me a hand with identification....)

I'm glad I kept plenty of seeds. I remember their flavor being outstanding.

Gary

Here's a couple of mine from last year's garden—I didn't plant it this year:

P7050005.jpg

I need to update my thread, but figured I'd drop in and say hi. Gary, I have also been horribly rude in not yet thanking you heartily for the Birgits. I like them quite a lot and ended up drying probably 2/3 of them after using some fresh. Thank you so much!

Mike, that looks like it was quite a wind you got up north there. Rain has been wacky. I got hammered at work on Braker two days in a row and got nothing at home. Then the last few days have been nutso. We're at 8.5" in five days, and 5.5" in the past 36 hours. Very wet!!

But I'm thankful that it isn't last summer! Last year, I had NO fruit at this time. Right now, I'm loaded beyond what I can consume/process. Been busy with work/kids, too, so not much here except in passing. My potted plants love this. In ground stuff is a bit soggy. We'll see...

Your plants look bonkers and awesome.

How is the taste of the White 7-Pot? Mine are just now coming in. I love the look of the Cherio do Norte's but am less than enamored of their flavor. My list is gonna be a LOT shorter next year.

Gary, your Congo Trinidads are gonna make the cut. Those things are awesome!

Sorry for the semi-thread jack, but I'm back to work for now. Figured I'd say hello to everyone all at once. :D

[sup]Gary and Eric, Thanks for checking in. I am always happy to try out something you've got going Gary.[/sup]

[sup]Eric, I was quite pleased with the favor and the heat as well as the creamy white color. I will try to overwinter in hopes of more production next year. I could probably repot it now and park it in the shade and maybe boost it some. I will skeep going on the Cheiro do Norte too cause I need more non heat pods to work my family into the mix.[/sup]

[sup]Rain has certainly been crazy, I'm hoping it will spur some wild plum blooms for me to hunt down. In pursuit of Wild Texas hot jam.[/sup]

[sup]Later guys, always welcome[/sup]

[sup]Mike[/sup]

Hi Mike! Great pics as always!

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions regarding the pepper purees. Do you water bath can them? Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share? What do you use the purees for? In the past, I've tried freezing sliced peppers to use in recipes over the winter, but wasn't crazy about the texture once thawed. I like the idea of adding a spoonful of puree to recipes instead. Plus, the family wouldn't be able to pick them out.

Bonnie, I do water bath can them. I do not have a pressure canner yet. AJ posted the recipe a couple years ago when he was also selling some of his many puree's. I got some from him then and later made my own. Everybody loves them though. Think of it as extended storage until heat is needed. The flavors are great too. Use it to jack up the heat in your serving while the rest of family tows the line to mediocrity. lol ;) They can be used for most any heat or flavor enhancer needed. Cooked meals to Bloody Mary's. I hear AJ makes a mean 7 Pot Bloody Mary. It is an alternative to freezing, dehydrating, or pickling.

Here is a link for a thread AJ just started yesterday for this years puree's. I highly recommend that you try it out. Sometimes if I do not have enough pods at some point in the season, and I am anxious for them, I would buy some from, Cappy or Judy and make the puree's. Surely somebody in the marketplace is selling pods right now. Mine averaged 150 grams of pods per 8 oz jar.

For every 100 grams of pepper add the following;
60 ml of white vinegar
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 tsp salt
Cook down on low heat to help avoid separation later; 30 min to 1hr depending on your quantity

10 min minimum sterilize jars and lids boiling water prior
10- 15 min boiling water bath after lids in place

I am happy to answer any more questions you might have if I can. Later Mike

http://thehotpepper....rocessits-easy/

Well things are starting to dry out from all the rain we've had. I turned the drip irrigation back on. Overall plant production has slowed down, pod size has diminished some. I also have a few serious aphid issues that I am not addressing well enough.

This weekend I'm hoping to finish up some drying and making powders. Also plan on pickling some Inca Red Drops. I need to make a trip to see if any more wild plums have showed up from all the rains.

My next futureish goal is to make a Chipotle Honey bbq sauce. Also have to squeeze in a few more puree varieties to make freezer room.

Heres a pic my daughter took of what appears to be a male Swift Setwing, Dythemis velox
July202012056.jpg

Close up of a female Roseate Skimmer, Orthemis ferruginea. The male Roseate's have not allowed me any pics close up.
July202012038.jpg

Male Roseate Skimmer
July202012008.jpg

Caught this Blue Jay eating some of my C. frutescens. He was very nearly a meal for my cat which would have left a mess and possible damaged plants so I used a Jedi mind trick to capture him. He will probably come back and be eaten.
July202012063.jpg

See you guys later, have a great weekend, Mike

Awesome pictures. Those dragonflies don't stay still for long. No mosquitos in that back yard! Like Call of The Wildman snagging that Blue Jay. They are a great looking bird,but such a pain in the arse.

Thanks for sharing the puree recipe! I think I'd get a lot more use out of a puree, than I would pickled peppers.

It looks like my peppers are going to start coming in way ahead of the tomatoes, so maybe I can puree a batch or two of them, before it's salsa canning time. I also hope to try to make my own hot sauce for the first time this year, plus make lots of powders. I have a feeling August and September are going to be very busy months for me!

Can't believe you caught that bird!

Back