• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn grow 2012

Outside in my backyard are the remains of my 2011 season carcass sprawling all over the backyard. It is ugly! It needs to be reanimated and made ready for my 2012 season within 2 months.

Inside of course the season has began all over again. I am very pleased to say that I am only germinating 36 variety's so far this year. That is down 75 from last year. Pending some trades arrival from Finland, (7 more), that will be all. I have managed to keep myself out of the marketplace where the seeds tend to flow like white water rapids.

Here is my germ list for 2012;

Yellow 7 Pod Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI Saved seeds (me)
Bih Jolokia
T. S. Moruga Blend
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Yuquitania
Aji Lima Rojo
Murupi Amarilla
Cumari do Para
BGH 1725
Douglah
Inca Red Drop
Costeno Amarillo
Onza Roja
Charapita
Beni Highlands
Fatalii
Douglah/ Faria scotch b. X f1
Bhut Jolokia Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Cumari ou Passirinho Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Trinidad Congo Red Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Guampinho de Veado Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Yellow Scotch Bonnets Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Tepin
Espelette Basque
Bahama Goat Pepper
(Fat Juicy) piquin Smiter Q pods (Thanks!)
7 Pot Chiguanas Peppermainia
Inca Berry Peppermainia
Aji Amarillo Peppermainia
Lemon Drop Peppermainia
Brazilian Pumpkin Peppermainia (gift seeds, Thanks!)
Maule's Red Hot Peppermainia
Alma Paprika Peppermainia
Zapotec Jalapeno Peppermainia

Also a few Tomato's and maybe some Goji Berry

I also have around 60 overwintered plants. Here's a couple; Good Luck to all this season!

T. scorpion B. T.
Jan122012peppers009.jpg

Hawaiian Chile seeds collected from Hilo F. M. pods
Jan122012peppers013.jpg

[sub]Ok, So I haven't been here for a while. I wanted to post some news on a marmalade that I made last weekend. We have a new computer and a new printer, neither of which respect the ability of my ancient dslr camera. I am looking for an adapter.[/sub]

[sub]I purchased a Meyer lemon tree in mid season and got almost a dozen lemons. I expect it to do much better next year. I came across a Meyer lemon marmalade recipe that I was excited to try. Until I get images up I will leave you with the recipe's I found. I mostly used the second link but liked them both. I did have to use liquid pectin. I used around 1 oz. of peppers, Lemon Drops, Quintisho, and Cumari do Para. It made 6 and one half of the 4 oz (half pint) jars.[/sub]

[sub]Later Mike[/sub]
[sub]http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meyer-Lemon-Marmalade-102746[/sub]

[sub]http://fromseedtotable.blogspot.com/2009/01/spicy-meyer-lemon-marmalade.html[/sub]

Thanks a bunch Jamie, Eric and Gary!

Here are some pics of the Marmalade and a 40 year old pic which is in part the inspiration to make a marmalade.
Meyer Lemon Marmalade
IMG_0753.jpg

Used 5 Meyer lemons and one regular lemon, my daughter confiscated one of the 6 Meyer's. Lemon Drops, Quintisho, and Cumari peppers not shown.
IMG_0738.jpg

Me as a young archeologist during 1970
100_2357.jpg

IMG_0737-1.jpg

The company is still in business today, different owner's I believe. Link to a wikipedia page;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiller%27s_marmalade

Later people.

Okay, Mike. So what's the story there? How did you come across that as a kid?

I remember sifting through the cinders of an old house that burned down on some property my parents had when I was a kid. We found old snuff bottles, dishes. All kinds of stuff. Mostly junk. But some very interesting artifacts. I was curious then, but would've appreciated even more now.

[sub]Thank you Charles! There are lots of items well preserved buried in the earth. This jar happens to have been very common so the likelyhood of finding one in great shape is increased. I saw many of these jars later in life in antique shops. An ebay search will turn up around a dozen hits some of which are actually new products. [/sub]

[sub]The curved mouth lip on this one is different than most avilable of the old jars I've seen. The age of the (city dump) I was digging in was approx 1900 to 1910.[/sub]

[sub]Have a good day Charles[/sub]

Eric, my mother and father were seperated when I was very young. On my visits with my father we either went fishing, walking along old railroad tracks hunting for glass insulators, or bottle digging. It would be much more difficult to do the digging in today's world than the mid to late 60's and early 70's. I did find a few nice items back then and got into collecting as an adult here in Texas. Collecting went out the door when my children came along along with my need for material possesions. I came to respect the need for preserving the archeological record for the professionals. I spent a lot of time collecting arrowheads and fossils, dinosaur bones.

The jar came from a city dump in my hometown of Joplin, Mo. An area called Dover hill on the north side of town was long used as a dump. Now it is covered in soccer fields and public park.

Have a great day, Mike

Hello Chilinferno! I got the seeds for this great pepper from Beth at Peppermainia. Here's a link to her page for it. It was one of my fave's last year. I lightly smoked them with cherry wood chips and then dehydrated them for a great tasting powder. The plant is very prolific too. The pic of the plant you quoted has seen around three months of neglect by me and still did well. Looks like I mispelled the name which may be why you could not find it.

Good luck, Mike
http://www.pepperman...chinense_2.html

Mike, I must be really old—I didn't even realize that Dundee products were no longer in production! That marmalade was one of my favorites as a kid.

Yours looks delicious. Are those Chiltepins in the jar on the end?

Man I wish my Aji Limos would turn...Beautiful!

Yes Gary, the jar of Tepins was put there to insight your question. Thanks for asking! If I can find my freezer bag of wild mustang grapes and wild plums then my next project will be the Wild stuff of Texas jam I made a couple years back that tasted so good.

IMG_0756.jpg

Twenty four years ago I found a jar of Dundee marmalade on the shelf of a grocery store in Lawrence, KS. I was quite surprized to find it there.

Later Mike

Back