• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Also, not sure if anybody actually been do puckerbutt's website and look at there photo, there is a plant (which I beilve is varying stages of ripeness) posted that does show different color pods.

http://store.puckerb...arolina-reaper/

If my memory serves me correctly, I was also told by ed that the pods will be different colors during the ripening stage, but the final stage picking stage is red.
so it makes me believe as of right now, the color of the pods that have been show may of been picked early.

COLOR ISSUE ONLY

*edit added link*

carolina_reaper_plant_2__52690.1345680672.800.1280.jpg

I will take a photo of some of my douglah and possibly Butch T's that are premature on the plants, when I get home today. I don't know that I have ever paid much attention to the thickness topic, but it might give everyone something to compare against.

Generally I would say I start to see the bumpiness on my bhuts when they are still premature, with the caveat that I have never seen a prematurely ripened pod with bumps. To clarify, my bumpy bhuts (*snicker*) will be bumpy before they finish growing, but they always seem to finish growing. I think premature ripening may have a "switch" that is turned on or off very early in pod development, possibly at the time of pollination. Meaning long before the pod prematurely ripens, something goes wrong and sets it into this small, smooth, non-seedy track of growth.

Who knows LD, but I do have 16 plants outside myself here in central fl. but the weather been all over the place, and been taking a beating with the all the wind we been having this year.

So most are flowering, but i they been dropping since some nights dropped into the high 30's and low 40's and left the plats out there to weather. beside a little wind burn, drop leaves they doing good so far
its overcast, windy and off and rain today, maybe i will try to take some pics this weekend.

But jan. has been great until today, been in the low 80's during the day, mid 60's and higher at night.

I am glad someone posted that picture on the bush, out of all those pods, how many look like the sale pictures?

89 degree day in December, not quite 90

WEATHER OBSERVED NORMAL DEPART LAST YEAR`S
VALUE DATE(S) VALUE FROM VALUE DATE(S)
NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
HIGHEST 89 12/19 87

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

October 17,2012 in the North Atlantic....not what I call prime conditions. Temps play a role in the skin texture,but there are many other factors! This plant was a 6',cockstrong beast.

Bumpy Primo pods.
2012-10-17_19-33-24_14.jpg

101112194101.jpg

2012-10-17_19-31-02_350.jpg

The pods in the pic in post 381 are all in different stages of ripening, they're not different colors.

Pro son I don't think temps play much of a part in the texture of a pepper, that I believe is mostly genetics. Are those pods all from a Reaper? They definitely look more like the photo of the Reaper used on PJ's website.

I would like to throw out another observation. Anytime I can see the end of the pistil sticking out at the end of the pod I consider the pod to be "immature", which is the term I used in my own head when looking at pods like this (could have a more proper/scientific term). The pistils sticking out at the end of Lock's pods tell me the fruit did not manage to fully form, probably due to getting a cold night or two that set them into panic mode which forced premature ripening. All of this is just a theory of course.

The "immature" pods display all types of different traits from the mature pods, I haven't seen them show different colors though. I am with Patrick in thinking that the yellow reaper pod is puzzling.

Sorry but I don't agree with that statement or think it holds any truth whatsoever.

I have plenty of pods which are picture perfect and the correct size which hold onto their pistels throughout the grow and once picked.

And the seeds are completely viable to boot

Certain varieties do it more then others regardless I have noticed myself and is more then likely due to genetic factors and less about anything to do with optimum growing conditions or pod maturity.

Science is science but let's keep things real here.

The pods in the pic in post 381 are all in different stages of ripening, they're not different colors.

Pro son I don't think temps play much of a part in the texture of a pepper, that I believe is mostly genetics. Are those pods all from a Reaper? They definitely look more like the photo of the Reaper used on PJ's website.

Those Pods are Primo's patrick

Say that 10xs fast :D

Patrick,I agree it is not a huge part. Indoor,age of plant,genes,outdoor,soil conditions,temps,ferts etc etc etc................. I had yellow 7's that had the little mutant pods and thick walls in late june when my conditions are ideal. I'll check in later in the summer when things get real sticky or I have reaper pods to show. Good growing!

Thanks Trippa I didn't see that.Those don't look like true 7 Pot Primo pods either.

These are 7 Pot Primo pods that I grew in 2009 or 2010.

Post edited to remove picture of 7 Pot Primo.

You'll notice they're compared to a nickel instead of a quarter and the bumps are smaller when compared to the pics of Pr0-son. I'm not saying his aren't Primo's.

Sorry but I don't agree with that statement or think it holds any truth whatsoever.

I have plenty of pods which are picture perfect and the correct size which hold onto their pistels throughout the grow and once picked.

And the seeds are completely viable to boot

Certain varieties do it more then others regardless I have noticed myself and is more then likely due to genetic factors and less about anything to do with optimum growing conditions or pod maturity.

Science is science but let's keep things real here.

I can respect that Trippa, like I said, it is just a theory. All the seeds that I have pulled from premature pods have been viable too, I don't remember saying otherwise. I cannot agree with it being only a genetic trait of the plant. I think genetics would play a part, its not "nature vs nurture" its "nature and nurture".

Here is a photo of some of the premature pods I pulled out of my greenhouse 20 minutes ago. Bell Pepper, 2 Douglah, 2 Butch T

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Here they are cut open, sorry for the quality, I am a terrible photographer

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

I do not notice any super thick walls on the Chinenses, one Butch T had about 20 seeds, the other had about 5, the smallest douglah had none. All 3 of these plants produced "true" pods up until the last 2 months. Same fert schedule, same soil. They are likely a bit rootbound so maybe that is a factor as well.

Back