• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Pepperhead said:
I just read an article that the Reapers come from Jolokias and "Sweet Habs".  Do either of those have stingers?  I may be wrong, but I thought that came from Trinidad scorps.

I stand corrected.  Just found one of my bhuts with a wicked stinger. 

I've got three or four plants from seed from each of three vendors, PJ, PB, and RFC.  They are healthy, but still quite small; I'm hoping for a fall harvest.  What is everyone's opinion on this strain's tolerance for sun?  Full sun all day, some sun/some shade, filtered sun all day?  I assume they don't like full shade all day.  Also, is it better or worse than the typical superhot for being able to set pods in heat?  Thanks!

Sawyer said:
I've got three or four plants from seed from each of three vendors, PJ, PB, and RFC.  They are healthy, but still quite small; I'm hoping for a fall harvest.  What is everyone's opinion on this strain's tolerance for sun?  Full sun all day, some sun/some shade, filtered sun all day?  I assume they don't like full shade all day.  Also, is it better or worse than the typical superhot for being able to set pods in heat?  Thanks!
90% of all my plants get 12+ hours of FULL SUN. The plants that get some shade have much bigger leaves and are producing pods at a much slower rate, they are also about 20 inches taller and look like trees!

Sawyer said:
 Mine are the hardiest and fastest growing of any of the Chinense, I have them under a sun shade here in Tejas, simply because the heat is unrelenting...

ya...im not getting any reaper pods these year as all 6 have died...will sow some seeds from a couple pods i got from Colorado Ronin

glad to see some are getting the pods expected

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
ya...im not getting any reaper pods these year as all 6 have died...will sow some seeds from a couple pods i got from Colorado Ronin

Sorry to hear that! You are welcome to some of my seeds once I get ripe pods!

This is my first year growing super hots. All the hype over the Carolina Reaper drew me into growing and now I am hooked! The pics above are of my Carolina Reaper plants. I had 7 out of 10 seeds germinate. I have four plants left. I sold three of them for a combined total of $85. Of the four that I have left one is a runt but I refuse to give up on it. Two are in the ground and doing well. One is in a six gallon bucket and it is doing excellent. It looks like I may top 100 pods on the container plant. I bought my seeds from Pepper Joe. I am very please with everything. All of my plants and pods are exactly what I was hoping for. I can't wait until next  year. I want to try growing about ten varieties of super hots. I am hooked not only on growing but eating chiles also. Regardless of what happens, whether the Reaper is really a Primo or if it isn't stable yet or whatever, I am happy for the hype of a new super hot. If it weren't Pepper Joe and all of the excitement I may not have found this awesome new hobby. Happy growing my new chile friends. 

Devv said:
 Mine are the hardiest and fastest growing of any of the Chinense, I have them under a sun shade here in Tejas, simply because the heat is unrelenting...
That's good to know.  Are they still setting pods in the heat?

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
ya...im not getting any reaper pods these year as all 6 have died...
That's a bummer.
Ocho Cinco said:
 I sold three of them for a combined total of $85.
!!! I guess if someone's willing to pay it, why not?

KiNGDeNNiZ said:

those seeds came from me that Ronin grew.  Pods looked nasty too.  Hope mine look as good as his did.

Ocho Cinco said:
This is my first year growing super hots. All the hype over the Carolina Reaper drew me into growing and now I am hooked! The pics above are of my Carolina Reaper plants. I had 7 out of 10 seeds germinate. I have four plants left. I sold three of them for a combined total of $85. Of the four that I have left one is a runt but I refuse to give up on it. Two are in the ground and doing well. One is in a six gallon bucket and it is doing excellent. It looks like I may top 100 pods on the container plant. I bought my seeds from Pepper Joe. I am very please with everything. All of my plants and pods are exactly what I was hoping for. I can't wait until next  year. I want to try growing about ten varieties of super hots. I am hooked not only on growing but eating chiles also. Regardless of what happens, whether the Reaper is really a Primo or if it isn't stable yet or whatever, I am happy for the hype of a new super hot. If it weren't Pepper Joe and all of the excitement I may not have found this awesome new hobby. Happy growing my new chile friends. 

Don't do it!  Get out while you still can!  First it's checking 5 times a day for cotys, then it's checking ten times a day for buds, then for pods, Pretty soon you're checking 20 plants every 5 minutes for a hint of red.  I stare at my plants all day just to keep them alive.  :banghead:

For those considering selling seeds from your reapers or any by products, a member here pepper rich, brought up the subject on Facebook, and Ed had his lawyers contact Rich. Apparently any product of the reaper is not for ANY type of resale, just a heads up.

armac said:
For those considering selling seeds from your reapers or any by products, a member here pepper rich, brought up the subject on Facebook, and Ed had his lawyers contact Rich. Apparently any product of the reaper is not for ANY type of resale, just a heads up.

Heh heh.  Good luck enforcing that.  Do they have the same deal as the Savina?  Wasn't that an issue a few years ago?

Actually I'm curious about whether other commercial seed sellers on here who have had done business with Ed have heard this?

apparently some have signed contracts with carolina reaper about reselling, so if you have any intent on selling any by product of the reaper, you need to enter into a contract. I know some guys here sell seeds, FYI.

Back