• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

armac said:
as of when? He has 100s of plants right?
Correction! I used to have hundreds of these plants....i BURNED every single one!! The Primo is a FAR superior pepper...trust me guys...i have grown ALL the "contenders".....The Primo is the pepper of the future.....Do me a favor and try them BOTH for yourself....i will sell u the "Fresh" Primos and...well...its up to u to find the "others"!! Ha! Good LUCK!!!

BakersPeppers said:
Correction! I used to have hundreds of these plants....i BURNED every single one!! The Primo is a FAR superior pepper...trust me guys...i have grown ALL the "contenders".....The Primo is the pepper of the future.....Do me a favor and try them BOTH for yourself....i will sell u the "Fresh" Primos and...well...its up to u to find the "others"!! Ha! Good LUCK!!!

.... Alrighty then!

BakersPeppers said:
Oh I have a box with your Primos and they make their photo shoot tomorrow! So excited to try them as well....my Primos did not make it into the ground this year....f'n fungal gnats

BakersPeppers said:

You don't have to sugar coat it for us.  Please tell us what you really think.  ;)

Hahahaha, Dale you are so happy about it, it borders delirium! Your post was a shock and not at all what I would have expected. I've got some Primo's planted and "the pepper we do not speak of"...or sell....or eat...or look at...touch...good lord.

Okay, so what makes it "unstable"?  I have two of these plants producing pods right now.  Both are producing different shaped (habby and stingery).  I have two Bhuts right now producing pods.  I'm getting 3 distinct shapes (Bhutty, carrot-like and pumpkin-stinger).  My Bhut seeds come from a reputable seed seller who is on here (and doesn't sell Reapers).  I thought the selling point was the consistent heat profile.   If it was bred for the consistent scoville range, and meets that (I don't know that it does or doesn't) wouldn't that make it stable, even with different pod shapes?

Not picking a fight, I'm honestly curious. 

A stable strain has uniform characteristics through out. Well, for the most part. The reaper is unstable because it's still producing inconsistencies due to lack of stabilization.

Stable means you get homozygous offspring 99% of the time rather then say 75% of the time ... In other words when you plant the pure seeds from the mother plant you should expect in 99%+ of cases the offspring to have the same colour, shape,(this will vary based on environment) characteristics, flavour and in most cases growth habit as the mother plant. Heat profile is only a small percentage of that

BakersPeppers said:
That's what happens when you get people coming into an industry just to make money and a name. Sorry to hear it Dale ... Sounds like suckerbutt wants to be the new Monsanto

honesty, is what everything comes back to in all vendors, be it varietey "creators" or pod salesman. we heard on numerous occasions that the reaper had a long expensive history and it was stable........now we hear someone burned hundreds of plants because "they have a new favorite".............I guess you have to believe what you can and discard the rest.

a lot of discarding lately

armac said:
honesty, is what everything comes back to in all vendors, be it varietey "creators" or pod salesman. we heard on numerous occasions that the reaper had a long expensive history and it was stable........now we hear someone burned hundreds of plants because "they have a new favorite".............I guess you have to believe what you can and discard the rest.
a lot of discarding lately
My take on the burning : he had to bc he was not allowed to sell anything (that's what I read out of it)

Al

Meh, I don't think this warrants a hullabaloo.  It's the name that's trademarked, "Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper", the plant itself is not protected by a Plant Variety Patent (PVP), or at least I can find no evidence it is.  Chris (JoynersHotPeppers) has twice posted the link to a justia.com page showing the trademark registration document.  You can also find the relevant documents on the US Patent and Trademark website.  I'd post the direct links, but they expire.  If you click here, click on "search trademarks", select "Basic Word Mark Search (New User)", and enter "Carolina Reaper" into the text field, you'll get two records.  One is registering the trademark for use with "Processed edible seeds; Processed peppers" and one is for use with "Fresh peppers; Pepper seeds for planting".  As far as I can tell, the latter hasn't yet been approved, though simply applying is sufficient to gain protection.  What I found particularly interesting is the disclaimer in both documents that states (all caps in document, I'm not shouting):

"NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "CAROLINA REAPER" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN"

That would seem to imply the use of the term "Carolina Reaper", without "Smokin' Ed's" is NOT protected, but I'll say no more about that.

My main point here is, there is a huge difference between trademarking a word mark and patenting a plant variety.  I've found no evidence the plant itself is patented and if it were, I'm sure we would have heard about it.  The Red Savina (PVP) was patented, which is why you always see the "PVP" in association with the name.  As it stands, the owners of the trademark can use "Smokin's Ed's Carolina Reaper" with any pepper they want.  (How many strains of the CR are there?)  It looks to me like it's safe to do whatever you want with the CR name and peppers/plants, just don't use "Smokin' Ed's" in conjunction with it.  But IANAL, so what do I know?  (Even if it were protected by PVP, there are subsistence and breeding exceptions to the afforded protections.)

But to try to steer this thread back onto the "grow" aspect of the topic, meet my Creaper family.  I got a late start, so they're still small.  I got the seeds for these from PuckerButt:
mc9ekm.jpg

These came from Refining Fire Chiles:
34fy5us.jpg

And these came from Pepper Joe:
xo1q37.jpg

I have one of these in a #1 pot, but have temporarily misplaced it amongst all the other pots.

BakersPeppers said:

A bit extreme...I know you had some decent pods with decent heat that you could have donated to a community garden (Your customers) or grown for a food bank.

Back