• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

What kind if set up is that you are starting in? Are those rock wool? Looks interesting.

Jason

Jason,

Those are called rapid rooters, I have used them a lone from cloning. his actually look super dry, but it could just be the photo, here is some more info on them.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/media/rapid_rooter/plugs/

I'm using rapid rooters, I like them more than rock wool because they seem to retain moisture a little better. I have about the same success rate in both though.

edit: I think it's the photo making them look dry, when i touch them they have good moisture.

Thanks for the info may have to give those a try.

JasonWell the mail just came in order Carolina Reaper strait from puckerbutt wanted to be sure I got the real deal and this is what was in the package.

B6644BE9-3E09-4007-A7F1-087021C11484-7130-00000FA9E41D8128.jpg

Called them no answer left message. Bummer wanted to get a few started.

Jason

These came from puckerbutt no freebies just this one pack of seeds. Was excited to get them then opened it up and was like bummed out for sure. Hope to hear something from them soon. Left a phone message and just sent a email.

Jason

I'm using rapid rooters, I like them more than rock wool because they seem to retain moisture a little better. I have about the same success rate in both though.

edit: I think it's the photo making them look dry, when i touch them they have good moisture.

Looks like you are having good luck with the rapid rooters. I tried those this year and didn't have great germination rates but using rockwool the year before i had great success. Now seeing yours I am thinking my reason may have been the trouble of keeping proper temperature this year and not the change in media. I did also find it was easier to keep the rockwool moist that the RRs.

I will see how cloning goes with the rapid rooters this fall.

Ed sent me a email said the seeds would be shipped tomorrow and sorry for the mix up. Will let you know when I get them. Can't wait to get them started.

Jason

Gotrox, do you start in rockwool? If so, how long do you wait before putting the cube into the system?

Nope. Aerogarden. Batch in there now is less than 2 months old and already overgrown. Short but huge and numerous leaves.
Seeds soaking in a paper towel right now, will go directly into the aerogarden sponges as soon as I transfer the the peppers in it now to the new hydro.

I'll take pics of the build and transfer and post them on my glog this weekend some time.

Just had my first reeper show his head. 3 more to go. Thank you peppermeister1 for the seeds. I sure hope I can get some pods sooner than later.

still thinking of throwing mine into the seed starting mix. Been in the baggie on the cable modem for about a week. There looking like they should pop soon. What has been everyone's time on them germinating?

I have to look back and see when I actually put them into the baggie. My normal is seed starting mat and 72 cell flat, but not breaking it out for 6-12 seeds just yet.. lol

Here we go.

In my goodwill shot glasses filled with camomile tea for the night. First observation is that the Primo seeds sink while the HP22B seeds float. It must have to do with how dried they are.

5153BDA7-FB70-437E-8426-8FCBD4CBA082-52328-000031F0FCFCF0D8.jpg

Into the 1.5" rockwool cubes. Hopefully i can regulate the temperature well enough until my heat mat thermostat gets here tomorrow. My inconsistant luck in the past I think was due to my passive way of trying to keep a steady 85F. Fingers crossed as i am only attempting 3 seeds of each.

B6BF0FD1-0AA3-42E4-9EE6-6E1F5C2EC0FC-53096-000032AF9667020A.jpg

Just a suggestion.. If you start seeing hooks and such, please post your sow date so we dont have to scroll back pages to see when you sowed and compare it to sprout.. Much appreciated :dance:

Dragogt...sorry if i missed it but when did u start your seeds??

better question.. How did you start your seed.. ummmmm

Back