• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Just got some of the Reaper pods from Lock in the mail today. Here are the pics:
bKdvK.jpg

qyIfl.jpg

They look a lot like Red Savina, but smaller.
Iz9Mv.jpg

Only 5 seeds in the pod total.

Tasted it about the same as a red savina, but quite a bit hotter, a super hot imo, but not as hot as I expected. That said, I am no expert on heat.

That looks very Different from My Reaper pods.

Well so far we have seen three growers on here with pods ... and all three have had completely different shapes and 1 was yellow ... yours is the only one that looks like a primo ahhhh reaper so far.... maybe a coincidence .... maybe not I am not judging simply waiting for other pods to start showing up ... will be interesting ... PJ and Eds marketing worked is the only thing we know for sure right now judging by the amount of grows on here

got reapers from lock also. they look just like stupid jerks picture. ill try one at breakfast and report back,on flavor and heat!

my report on the pods are i would be pissed if i planted a dozen of these plants thinking my pods would look like the pods that were used in the promo pics.

Just to interject my opinion here, I am not growing the reaper, but I find the whole thing very fascinating.

I get a lot pods that remind my of Lock's in my greenhouse during Dec-Feb when I don't always get my temps up above 75 during the day. I have a couple of douglah plants in my greenhouse right now that are producing pods that are small and shaped like Lock's. They too will only have a few seeds, normally my douglahs are full of them. If I showed anyone pictures of them, they probably wouldn't guess they were douglahs, most people would probably guess chocolate scotch bonnet. They are overwinters, so I know they are truly douglah. There are some environmental factors at play, temperature and pollination.

When my temps are good in the greenhouse, and my big fan kicks on a lot during the day, I notice my pods get much bigger and take on the proper look for the variety, which I believe is partly due to good pollination.

This is just an opinion of why locks pods are so small, smooth, and lacking in seeds. I am not giving any opinion on whether the genetics are right, but I am willing to bet if Lock gets that plant out into the Illinois sun this summer, the pod shape is going to change a bit. It still might not spit out "true" reaper pods, but they are going to look different.

Lock, you obviously know what you are doing. What are your temps and humidity looking like in the area where you have that plant? I also noticed that you have a few small clip type fans around the plant, have you tried throwing a bigger oscillating fan in the room with it? It might be a good experiment.

+1 to theghostpepperstore. Environmental factors do matter.
I have been thinking about this from a mathematical point of view since the seeds went on sale. PJ had something like 5000 packs of seeds. That would be 50,000 seeds. Even at F8 you may have close to 2% recessive traits in the seeds. And at those numbers, that's 1000 seeds showing other traits than desired. That's a hundred packs of seeds. And that does include Puckerbutts stock, so that number may be way larger. & If mr currie was at a lesser generation, but showing stability in the small numbers he was originally growing before mass production, then even more variation is possible with that many seeds being produced and grown out. Just a thought.
Im guessing we will see some perfect looking pods with as many people here growing them this year.
Im still on the fence about adding these to my growlist this year. Thank you everyone for sharing the results so far.

My temps in the store during the day are between 66-70 and I assume when the lights go off it stays at 66 (thermostat settings). I would say I have very little to no humidity. I do have a second small clip fan on the plant, but never tried a larger oscillating fan.

Thanks for the information ghostpepperstore, I wasn't aware climate could have that much of an effect on peppers.

Ghost has a good point about environment effects. I've found it true myself. That being said I am still puzzled by the yellow pods. I have chosen to keep my mouth mostly shut on the Reaper until I have my own plants to talk about.

I do hope everybody who is growing the Reaper continues to post pics and growing info for everyone to compare.

I would like to throw out another observation. Anytime I can see the end of the pistil sticking out at the end of the pod I consider the pod to be "immature", which is the term I used in my own head when looking at pods like this (could have a more proper/scientific term). The pistils sticking out at the end of Lock's pods tell me the fruit did not manage to fully form, probably due to getting a cold night or two that set them into panic mode which forced premature ripening. All of this is just a theory of course.

The "immature" pods display all types of different traits from the mature pods, I haven't seen them show different colors though. I am with Patrick in thinking that the yellow reaper pod is puzzling.

I did notice on Ed's FB page a mention of a yellow reaper that would be made available this year. Perhaps a few seeds made it into the mix by accident.

I got my pods from lock today. Thanks buddy!
66a016acb19877b8c0f10195b03872b4.jpg

I'll do a test later today.

The plant was stressed by my dumbass from dropping the t5 on it, took a large chunk of the plant with it. The newer smaller pods are turning and the larger ones that have been around longer aren't.

Here are a couple larger ones, they are about double the size of the ones I sent out.
s9Q2W.jpg

8sBfM.jpg

Edit: Glad the pods arrived safe for everyone.

But, if you look at locks bhut pod, it was grown under the same conditions, it LOOKS like a bhut, right?

These plants were not overwinters, overwinter means, imo, to hold a plant almost in a dormant state, to get them through to to the spring. These plants were grown with full , light, nutrients and looked better than 90% of the plants posted on this board. That plant grew the best pod its genes allowed.

But, if you look at locks bhut pod, it was grown under the same conditions, it LOOKS like a bhut, right?

These plants were not overwinters, overwinter means, imo, to hold a plant almost in a dormant state, to get them through to to the spring. These plants were grown with full , light, nutrients and looked better than 90% of the plants posted on this board. That plant grew the best pod its genes allowed.

I can't say the conditions are the same, that would be a question for Lock. It looked to me like he had the bhut in a grow tent with some sort of HID lighting, which would mean higher temps than the open air style grow the Reaper appears to have.

I may use the term "overwinter" incorrectly when speaking about my greenhouse plants. They are trimmed back and moved into the greenhouse in October but never enter the dormant stage that some overwinters do.

Some fruiting plants can produce the same fruit in low temps/low light as they can in higher temps. Some cannot. Some won't fruit at all. Try growing Oranges in Alaska. Trees would probably be ok. You'll never see a fruit. My blood Orange in Hayward, CA has exquisite foliage - prettiest Orange tree on my property. IT flowers, buds, forms tiny oranges, and then they turn yellow and drop.

As such this statement is ridiculous. You're quite literally comparing apples & oranges (or Bhuts and Reapers).

That plant grew the best pod its genes allowed.

I'd suggest that it probably grew the best pod its genes allowed for the environmental conditions it was grown in.

Give a plant 1/2 the light and low temps the foliage might look great but the fruit will only mature to the degree that the environmental factors allow for. Now that said I don't know if the Reaper is a high temperature/high light loving plant, but it's a plausible explanation.

No dog in this fight - just don't care for bad science.

Look at that plant, it is thriving, I believe he said it had 90 pods on it. It is beautiful, that plant was lacking nothing. It was pampered and well grown. Lock did a great job.

If the plant was a runt and ratty looking I would have to consider the comments made. The plants is not enviromentally lacking in any way, that I can see.

Please point out the deficiencies in that plant.

Back