• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

carol's flood pictures

Our closest flood guage stopped working this morning... yeah those are zip ties. It's an outdated one that isn't used for predictions any more. Been there since 1930-something. All the guages upstream are FUBAR also so I can't see the data on the web any more.

ziptied.jpg

House on the Withlacoochee is already wet. Taken from the same bridge as the ^ guage ^

house1.jpg

The Withlacoochee is flowing into the subdivision at one corner.

1stRoad.jpg

The spring is flowing backwards from the Suwannee into the other corner.

springs.jpg

Rivers aren't supposed to crest until next week - 10 days maybe?? then it will be another week?? before they recede.

c.

Great photo's...Great to look at but not great to experience...

The last flood I experienced was in 07. It was gone as quick as it came, all over in a few days, but while it was flooding it was horrific. Hundreds of milluions of dollars damage.

I was watching whole carivans being washed down the local golf course....
We had fish swimming up the main street of Newcastle which is hudreds of meters and lots of barriers away for the habour....

Cool photos..I hope nobody got flooded out or anything.

What part of Florida do you live in? I used to live down in the Southeast. I miss all the critters you could find outside.

that'll be catfish heaven when the flood starts receding...wish I were there to put a bunch of set hooks out baited with crawfish...

glad you are safe C...take care...

Holy crap, Carol, i knew you guys got beat up a bit but i didn't think it got that bad. I hope you and your family got out of it alright.

xgrafcorex said:
What part of Florida do you live in?

Look up Ellaville on the map. It's a ghost town (due to proir floods) but still has a zip code.

AlabamaJack said:
that'll be catfish heaven when the flood starts receding...

Catfish and ... cats. A neighbor who was going to stay came out this morning but had to leave his 50-or-so mostly feral cats behind. :(

More pics coming from this morning...

caroltlw said:
Look up Ellaville on the map. It's a ghost town (due to proir floods) but still has a zip code.

Mapquest says there's 2 of them......one in Suwannee county and one in Jackson county.....

Went down into The Swamp last night at dusk. One street was completely clear and you could come up the next road to our lot. This is the other end of the street where water has started to flow. At 9:00 last night all roads were under water and even 4WDs had a hard time getting out.

OurStreet.jpg

Then this morning the water is WAY up. People are coming out in boats and moving stuff that they had already moved to their "safe location". This pic is of the main entrance road and is usually considered high ground.

NoEntrance.jpg

I can still get on and over the Withlacoochee bridge but it doesn't do any good - except for picture taking. This how we used to get to town. (don't worry, there's another town in another direction)

RoadToMadison.jpg

Mooooooo.
The river decides to go through this field on the way to my place. There's some higher ground for them but no one knows how long before they have to leave. You can't tell from this picture but that water is mooooving fast not too far away.

moooo.jpg

c.

Aw Carol flooding is awful, my heart goes out to you and everyone involved. In my village homes have been ruined plenty of times and of course even when restored the property prices have fallen dramatically. At least we never had the worry of dangerous creatures lurking around, just the odd dead fish which could unbelievably survive in the snot green river in the first place.

JayT said:
Good luck Carol. Is your place safe?

There's nothing still at my place. We pulled the trailer and everything else out Saturday except the garden plants - I dug those up Sunday. My carefully prepared garden bed has been under flowing water since about 10 last night.
The place we're staying now is high enough to withstand what I think will be the crest level here.

Anyhooo...

One guy is staying in his house tonight even though the water is only 3 more steps to his floor... he's on stilts. They went back in today to build a platform for the aforementioned feral cats and feed them. Here's the triumphant return of Operation Kitty Float.

catRescue.jpg

The other exciting news today is that we have a new river guage on the closest bridge, just in time to record the crest in a few days. It's not wired to the sat transmitter yet so no online data. That's part of the old guage floating on the water.

newGuage.jpg

Bubbles are coming up in some places under the dirt road and there's a cool little whirlpool sucking water down next to the paved road. I don't think I can get to the bridge again tomorrow.

bubbles.jpg

And so the sun sets on another fun day in, errr, near The Swamp.

ellavilleSunset.jpg

c.

Whoo hoo! The new guage is online this morning. It's starting to crest upstream on the Withlacoochee but the Suwannee isn't done yet. Still predicting major flood stage but not the record level of 1948, like other rivers. Probably come in at #2 in the record books.

Going to try and get on one of the boats going into The Swamp today and take a look around. My friends said the water was up to the top windows on their 5th wheel camper (junk) yesterday morning.

So, to give you some idea of why everyone left and never came back after the 1973 flood - which we should surpass this time - this is what the old houses look like now. Actually, most of them this old are a pile of rubble already.
No one can build without stilts now and most of us opt for a house on wheels instead. :D

73damage.jpg

c.

Back