• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Carpetbagger Steak: Should I attempt it?

Doing a variation of this recipe:

Carpetbagger Steak

Source: Hungry Monster

1/2 cup fresh oysters -- drained and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon butter
2 slices bacon -- cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons Sauterne or other dry white wine
1 boneless sirloin strip steak (3/4 lb.)

Saute oysters, mushrooms, and parsley in butter until mushrooms are tender; drain. Stir in bacon, cheese, and Sauterne; set aside. Make pocket in side of steak. Stuff pocket with oyster mixture; secure with wooden picks. Broil steaks about 6 inches from heat 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

Chuk, at first thinking about that recipe I'd say yes but then looked closer at the 'thang...

Here's my summation.

Blue cheese + mushrooms + bacon + steak = WIN!

Oysters + mushrooms + bacon + steak = 1/2 WIN due to stinkfoot factor of 2.

Oysters + mushrooms + blue cheese + bacon + steak = FAIL! Stinkfoot factor of 7.

Were I to make this, I would pound the steak out and roll with the stuffing ala roulade. I think even with the toothpicks, the cheese would ooze out too much. I would also add roasted garlic cloves and some heat..maybe serranos to tame the stinkfoot factor. I'd also leave out the sauterne and just drink the bottle first to build up courage to eat the 'thang.

I think the carpet bagger name is appropos as they were not exactly held in high regard and this steak appears to fall into that category foods that should not be paired together...
but I could be wrong.

If you do make this, we'll need a full report and pics.

Cheers, TB.

Oysters sauted in half stick of butter and a tone of garlic.

24m7swm.jpg

http://twitgoo.com/7loz

chuk hell said:
Oysters sauted in half stick of butter and a tone of garlic.

24m7swm.jpg

http://twitgoo.com/7loz

Chuk..I nominate this for food heaven pic of the year. Those oysters look absolutely divine.

The oyster/blue cheese 'thang I'm having trouble wrapping my head around though. How did the flavors meld?

Cheers, TB.

I didn't know what that was but happened to come across something about it a few days ago and I have to say it sounds delicious. I say go for it.

Thanatopsis said:
I didn't know what that was but happened to come across something about it a few days ago and I have to say it sounds delicious. I say go for it.

FAIL!

He went for it a month ago!

FiveStar said:
FAIL!

He went for it a month ago!

Yeah, just saw that now. I guess I should have scrolled down before I posted that. Looks awesome, and as usual this board is giving me mad munchies at 3am.

Back