• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caterpillar ATTACK!!!

why is this caterpillars keep attacking my plant and this butterflies keep hanging around my hab plant as well so far not seen any caterpillars yet.(the eggs in the hab plant is taken by the ants) these butterflies don't lay their eggs in one place always a single egg per leaf. any organic natural way to get rid of them? i keep flush them with water and the next day they are back where they left off.

wp000221.jpg

next day
wp000226.jpg

wp000225.jpg

wp000224.jpg

no more leafs left and they ate the softer part of each branch as well.!!

ahhhh, bastards, this means war!!!

Have you tried a liquid potassium soap, spray on them and suffocate the buggers.

Hay buddy how's it going?

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did those grow from eggs? or crawl up the stalk?

That is devastating to say the least, they look big enough to shoot,

Usually the brighter and more colorful the more poisonous.:evil:

It they came up the stalk duck tape wrapped sticky side out may take care of it, along with a few other ways.

SC

WOW that makes my caterpillar attack look like nothing at all... damn
those have horns looking things too...
someone on my thread recommended a BT based insecticide, but i could not find it at lowes. IMO thats not terribly inorganic is it? its a bacterium after all, its better than loosing more plants no?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis
anyway i could not find it so ill keep spraying malathion, i figure if i can keep the residue on the leaves/fruits i can keep them away.

You can also try diluting some molasses in hot water, making sure to get the undersides o all the foliage. They don't like it, but it's a deterrent at best.
Otherwise you can try neem oil (that works on pillars right?), which is also natural, and very effective.
There are some really decent (apparently), but really pricy natural bio pest control products out there too, but I have had no experience with them myself.

Hay buddy how's it going?

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did those grow from eggs? or crawl up the stalk?

That is devastating to say the least, they look big enough to shoot,

Usually the brighter and more colorful the more poisonous.:evil:

It they came up the stalk duck tape wrapped sticky side out may take care of it, along with a few other ways.

SC
doing ok... just having these attacks and aphids!
how are you, Jeff?

WOW that makes my caterpillar attack look like nothing at all... damn
those have horns looking things too...
someone on my thread recommended a BT based insecticide, but i could not find it at lowes. IMO thats not terribly inorganic is it? its a bacterium after all, its better than loosing more plants no?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis
anyway i could not find it so ill keep spraying malathion, i figure if i can keep the residue on the leaves/fruits i can keep them away.
i have tried spraying some bug off aerosol type spray. it killed them but it also burned the leaves.

You can also try diluting some molasses in hot water, making sure to get the undersides o all the foliage. They don't like it, but it's a deterrent at best.
Otherwise you can try neem oil (that works on pillars right?), which is also natural, and very effective.
There are some really decent (apparently), but really pricy natural bio pest control products out there too, but I have had no experience with them myself.
hmm i will try the molasses thing but won't it attract any ants? neem oil i have tried, they seems to be immune to it..:(

There eatin well. i have a couple passion flower vines on the opposite side of the yard on the fence and they all seem to stay there maybe you could plant something they like better...

What plant are they eating in the picture? At first I thought those were monarch's, but your's look a little different.
You probably don't get monarch's in malaysia. What do they eat, peppers? Im thinking they turn into a beautiful
butterfly.

i have tried spraying some bug off aerosol type spray. it killed them but it also burned the leaves.
bug off, like the stuff you spray onto your skin? why not try something meant for plants. i think the key to 'winning' it to get something that will stay on the plants and keep killing these things as they hatch. BT apparently fits that bill pretty well.

CRUSH! KILL! DESTROY!

daleks.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LOL hehehe
sri, you could make money out of those soon to be butterflies. :D
How do i make moneyfrom those caterpillars!! Gourmet food. I think these are poisonous .
There eatin well. i have a couple passion flower vines on the opposite side of the yard on the fence and they all seem to stay there maybe you could plant something they like better...

What plant are they eating in the picture? At first I thought those were monarch's, but your's look a little different.
You probably don't get monarch's in malaysia. What do they eat, peppers? Im thinking they turn into a beautiful
butterfly.
That's a milkweed plant which I keep near my habanero plant. It got some nice flowers.

If you have milkweed with pretty flowers near the peppers, KILL THE MILKWEED. Queen Moths love Milkweed and that is what those caterpillars look like, here. Not sure about there.

Take one hostage to your local garden shop, if you have one, and have them identify it for you to be sure, and then ask how to kill all of them. DO NOT throw them in the road! They will survive, remember you, multiply, and seek revenge! Hand pick them and drop them into a cup half filled with beer. Send them to the great habanero farm in the sky...

Can you put protective nets or screening around them?

Good luck.

Drink the other half of the beer. DO NOT POUR IT ON THE GROUND!

hey sri,

caterpillar season also started here. found a couple of hairy brown caterpies on my plants this morning. they are in bug heaven now. I gave them to my chicken and she was happy :D

Back