• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Caterpillar ATTACK!!!

I grow milkweeds mostly for the butterflies (Monarch Butterfly). By the end of the summer my milkweeds are just stubby branches sticking out of pots! They grow back eventually. Most butterfly larvae are host specific, so you shouldn't worry about the larvae on the milkweed eating your peppers, even if they crawl onto the pepper plants. I am surprised you don't have any wasps coming and taking the caterpillars away?

I think you have them in the ground so you can't pick the plant up and give it a nice "dip" like I did when I had my infestation.

To dip I would basically take the entire plant, cover the soil with a piece of cardboard I cut out and turn it over and dip it into need. After a few seconds they would let go and just float in the water. I could then grab it and feed it to my black widow I found and have had for about 8 months now.

The sad part is 1 bug left un found for a day can kill the entire plant! So either inspect or buy something to spray with fast.

If you have milkweed with pretty flowers near the peppers, KILL THE MILKWEED. Queen Moths love Milkweed and that is what those caterpillars look like, here. Not sure about there.

Take one hostage to your local garden shop, if you have one, and have them identify it for you to be sure, and then ask how to kill all of them. DO NOT throw them in the road! They will survive, remember you, multiply, and seek revenge! Hand pick them and drop them into a cup half filled with beer. Send them to the great habanero farm in the sky...

Can you put protective nets or screening around them?

Good luck.

Drink the other half of the beer. DO NOT POUR IT ON THE GROUND!
i got rid of the caterpillars now but the milkweed plant looks bare now without any leafs!

hey sri,

caterpillar season also started here. found a couple of hairy brown caterpies on my plants this morning. they are in bug heaven now. I gave them to my chicken and she was happy :D
hmm because of the hairy ones and the colourful ones as some are poisionous!! the ones at my place even birds don't eat them.

I grow milkweeds mostly for the butterflies (Monarch Butterfly). By the end of the summer my milkweeds are just stubby branches sticking out of pots! They grow back eventually. Most butterfly larvae are host specific, so you shouldn't worry about the larvae on the milkweed eating your peppers, even if they crawl onto the pepper plants. I am surprised you don't have any wasps coming and taking the caterpillars away?
hmm so far i don't see any wasp here.no predator for the caterpillars!

I think you have them in the ground so you can't pick the plant up and give it a nice "dip" like I did when I had my infestation.

To dip I would basically take the entire plant, cover the soil with a piece of cardboard I cut out and turn it over and dip it into need. After a few seconds they would let go and just float in the water. I could then grab it and feed it to my black widow I found and have had for about 8 months now.

The sad part is 1 bug left un found for a day can kill the entire plant! So either inspect or buy something to spray with fast.
these milkweeds are quite hardy plants they tend to come back fast but thats when the butterflies comes to lay eggs again!!.

Those are MONARCH Caterpillers. If they are not eating your peppers, you shouldn't kill them. They almost exclusively eat milk weed. I raised a couple of them to butterflies last year.

Here is a Caterpillar on the milkweed in my yard from last year on August 5th, 2010:
20100805MonarchCaterpillar2.jpg

Here is a Monarch Caterpillar in my homemade terrarium beginning to make its Crysalis (Cocoon). The one already in it's Crysalis is the caterpillar from the previous photo. August 10th, 2010
20100810MonarchCrysalis3.jpg

Here is the Monarch Butterfly after it emerged from the Crysalis: August 18th, 2010
20100819MonarchButterfly11.jpg

Here is the Monarch Butterfly after I released it. It landed on my house. August 18th, 2010
20100819MonarchButterfly16.jpg

Monarch butterflys or its caterpillar are not normally considered a pest and unless there is a reason to destroy them, I would let them be.

Those are MONARCH Caterpillers. If they are not eating your peppers, you shouldn't kill them. They almost exclusively eat milk weed. I raised a couple of them to butterflies last year.

Monarch butterflys or its caterpillar are not normally considered a pest and unless there is a reason to destroy them, I would let them be.
they are quite beautiful but they ate up my plant. i wanna see the flowers again. it has nice lilac coloured crown shaped flowers. :(

pull em off with tweezers throw in a metal pot pour alcohol or gasoline in there and throw in a match ;) :onfire: :dance: lol
wow ...sound so psychotic heheheehe...... :eek: . i just cut them into 2 :) :hell:

this is my milkweed flower that i have been wating for but always destroyed by these caterpilars.
1142_pd2127476_1.jpg

CROWN FLOWER giant milkweed Calotropis gigantea

Back