• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color changing color

Does anyone every make a sauce they like but they just don't like the color? If so do you add something to change the color only that doesn't affect the taste? I wish my habanero sauce wasn't so orange and had more deep red tones. Maybe I am overthinking this and should leave the natural color alone...........

That's a bit wrong. Have you used beet before? You can tailor the red by how much you use. Just like a bottle of red food color it almost looks black, but you can make the brightest red. Beet with white icing is pink. So you are wrong there. (Ever drop a beet on a paper towel and it's florescent?)

The Hot Pepper said:
Post your sauce we want to see the color. :)

I just made this. It has pears and orange habs in it. Same recipe as the 2nd attached pic in the sauce bottle only that batch has dried chinese red peppers in it AS WELL as orange habs and this batch has 2 pears and the batch with the red peppers has only 1 pear. The stuff in the mason jar is awaiting an order of bottles and lids.

Attachments

• sauce.JPG
    sauce.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 63
  • file-AA090DA0-6134-4CB1-88EE-F38507084DBA-325-0000000E8C874CF9.JPG
    file-AA090DA0-6134-4CB1-88EE-F38507084DBA-325-0000000E8C874CF9.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
The first picture looks like baby food, so I can kinda see what you're saying about the color but I think the pears might have something to do with that.

Seriously, the mason jar makes it look weird. In a woozie with a matching/contrasting label, will look killer.

I think I may pour it into a blender in a few days and add dried red peppers and re blend. I like the color of the second sauce. I was simply trying to simplify and have one less ingredient to mess with. But in the grand scheme of things adding a couple cups of dried red peppers isnt that big a deal to throw in the blender while the pear and onion are in the oven. It does look like baby food lol!!!!

These are cooked right? The frothiness look makes me a little scrared you just whirled stuff in a blender.

The Hot Pepper said:
These are cooked right? The frothiness look makes me a little scrared you just whirled stuff in a blender.
I cooked the onion and pears in the oven and then pre-blended everything in the blender and then I poured the mixture into a pan and brought it to a boil for about 10 minutes then I re blended. I know what you mean by the frothy appearance. The stuff I made the other day in the second picture looked similar and as it cooled and settled all the air bubbles disappeared and it looks a lot better. Typically I have put the peppers and vinegar in the blender and then poured it in a sauce pan with the onion and pears, boiled everything, and then poured it into a blender after it was boiled. I didnt think it mattered whether I blended before boiling or not as long as I did boil at some point. Im going to probably add dried peppers in a few days and re-blend it and then Im going to boil it again for 15 to 20 minutes.

I cook sauce a lot longer. Bringing to a boil is basically pasteurizing not cooking. Think of how you turn tomatoes into tomato sauce and how long it takes. PS. You can't just add dried peppers and not cook it again. The you have leather suspended in a sauce.

Edmick said:
In all fairness though, Does it TASTE good? I've eaten food that looks like diarrhea and it tastes bomb. Unfortunately most people judge a book by it's cover, but the real question is whether it's good and you're happy with it.. ya know?
Oh yes it has a good flavor. But I cant say as if it tastes any better than the red stuff. Theyre both the same recipe.

The Hot Pepper said:
I cook sauce a lot longer. Bringing to a boil is basically pasteurizing not cooking. Think of how you turn tomatoes into tomato sauce and how long it takes. PS. You can't just add dried peppers and not cook it again. The you have leather suspended in a sauce.
The stuff I made this weekend I boiled for a good 25 minutes or so. This batch was made in a hurry. Its in the fridge and like I said Im going to re-boil it in a few days when I add some peppers to it.

Thanks and consistency is much better too. On my first batch (that was the bottle I posted) I boiled for maybe 20-25 minutes. Is that long enough or should I re boil it too? The consistency on first batch was better for starters but just wondering what a minimum boil time is?

Back