• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

color changing color

Does anyone every make a sauce they like but they just don't like the color? If so do you add something to change the color only that doesn't affect the taste? I wish my habanero sauce wasn't so orange and had more deep red tones. Maybe I am overthinking this and should leave the natural color alone...........

I added a splash of pomegranate juice to one of my bottles of red sauce and it really made it a much deeper red, purpleish almost. I don't think you water bath hot sauces, just hot fill/hold upside down.

Walchit said:
I added a splash of pomegranate juice to one of my bottles of red sauce and it really made it a much deeper red, purpleish almost. I don't think you water bath hot sauces, just hot fill/hold upside down.

Yes but what about sauce that you pre made ahead of time and has been sitting in the fridge in a mason jar? I want to transfer it to bottles and it has been refrigerated for a week and a half at least.

cmwr said:
I just got an order of my first bottles and lids. Would you not fill all the bottles, cap tightly, and boil in a water bath?
 Not if they're the plastic caps; they'll probably melt, lol. I've heard that 'they' do sell metal caps that can be BWBed, but I've never looked into it. Don't try it with the plastic caps though ;)

cmwr said:
Yes but what about sauce that you pre made ahead of time and has been sitting in the fridge in a mason jar? I want to transfer it to bottles and it has been refrigerated for a week and a half at least.
Reboil and fill the (sanitized) bottles while the sauce is at 190*F(?), using the "hot fill hold" method (check the Hot Sauce 101 thread)

Back