• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chileseeds.Uk - Satan's TS Morouga Red - Hmmmmm

I've grown several versions of the PI 497974 and all were identical to the Bishop's crown. Its quite a unique pod shape but I have heard that there are possibly some versions which are slightly different. If anybody comes across a slightly different version, I'd likely be interested in a trade. Is the annuum version similar in shape?
Chileseeds appears to be selling a hot version but I no longer believe anything that they advertise :(

http://thechileman.org/results.php?find=PI+497974&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1

I remember when Naga Morich was the name used for about all that type of super hot.

I don't remmeber that, but I do remember when Naga Jolokia was a misleading term used for several different varieties. It sort of makes sense though since Nagaland is place in India, and Jolokia just means pepper/chile

The Ballon peppers I haqve are C.Annuum,Bishops crown etc. are C.Baccatum.
No specks on balloon pepper buds.

All pods shaped like that aren't Bishops cap...not all C.Baccatum...
There are several strains of the Baccatum too with several variations of that pod shape.

I don't understand why people can't accept that there are a lot of strains of similar looking pods out there that are different strains/varieties but easily accept certain ones ONLY as being able to be classified as a different strain(7pot brain strain or whatever).

If one goes to the GRIN, one will see that the shape of chili pods goes across all variety of peppers. So there are chili shapes, cayenne shapes, bell shapes, tabasco, etc. across the spectrum of annuum, baccatum, chinense, frutecense etc.

These are the commercial classification of peppers by the GRIN. They cross all species/varieties of capsicum.
BELL
CAYENNE
CHILI
CHILTEPIN
HABANERO
JALAPENO
MIXED OR NONDESCRIPT
ORNAMENTAL
PAPRIKA
PIMIENTO
TABASCO

So all chinenses are labelled as habaneros by GRIN and the other peppers are all annuums except maybe tobasco? It seems they would need much more classifications then just that.
Also not all species/varieties of capsicum are compatible

So all chinenses are labelled as habaneros by GRIN and the other peppers are all annuums except maybe tobasco? It seems they would need much more classifications then just that.
Also not all species/varieties of capsicum are compatible

Nope, there are many chinense classified as tabasco, chili, mixed, cayenne etc.
I don't think anything but chinense are classified as habenero.
Many baccatum are classified as tabasco, chili, etc. The same goes for annuums and frutecens.

I just don't understand. Tepins, jalapenos, cayennes, and bells are specific types of annuums. How can a chinenses be classified as a tobasco? There must be some misinterpretation. Do you have a link?

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

downloadable version

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/pcgrin.html

also for your searching pleasure:

http://203.64.245.173/avgris/searchchar_capsicum.asp

I just don't understand. Tepins, jalapenos, cayennes, and bells are specific types of annuums. How can a chinenses be classified as a tobasco? There must be some misinterpretation. Do you have a link?

Tbey classify them by shape.

So if you did a search and looked that the observations, you would notice it being c. baccutum and then it's commercial classification would be tabasco, jalapeno, tepin, etc..

ex. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1174321 go down and click on observations. Then go down and look at commcat.

So here you have a c. chinense which is commercially classified as a tabasco.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1138547 this one is classified as a chili.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1196564 this one is classified as a cayenne.

They're all chinense.

Very strange way of classification IMO. I guess its like saying I have cayenne shaped chinenses or bell shaped jalapenos. A lot of the GRIN examples look like intra-species crosses to me which would explain why they look more like cayennes, tobasco etc. than chinenses.
I've also heard several examples of GRIN seeds not being what they are labelled as, especially some of the rarer ones which have not been varified

Well those are "commercial" classifications. Sometimes I don't think the picture matches the description in the observations. Certainly some of the peppers are crossed. They've been picked up in markets.

Warwick has just confirmed via correspondence that Gerald Fowler submitted one small sample to be tested.Then warwick gave him his results. Warwick never made any press release for any record. When I get permission I will post Warwick's response on this forum under one of the Naga Viper topics I started.
Jim

This is a response from Peter Dunn press representative from Warwick University to Dave De Witts Press person.It is also on Dave's website I am copying it to all Naga Viper forums.

"The University of Warwick School of Life Sciences has been asked by a number of growers to test Chillies to ascertain their heat level on the Scoville Scale. Each of those tests has been done as a commercial service to those clients and the University has not publicized or press released any of the results.

One of those clients recently asked us to test a Chilli they described as a "Naga Viper". We completed the test and gave the results to the client. We have since seen a number of media publish those results under headlines that this indicates that the tested Chilli is the hottest in the world.

We also understand from news reports that there has been some interest in having this published as a fact in the Guinness Book Records.

While we cannot release our full report on this Chilli without the commercial clients express permission, we can say that we feel that any result obtained from the Chilli sample that was tested by us should be viewed as only a good indicator that this Chilli could the conditions of entry into the Guinness Book of Records. The sample provided to us was relatively small and, while we do not know explicitly what the Guinness Book of Records testing requirements would be, we would expect that they would require at least one more test with a larger sample and possibly a corroborating test in another lab."

What the heck - half of these were MY pepper varieties. lol. Someone's doing some good marketing - Trinidad Scorpion 'Morouga Blend' too. Is Gerald a member here? Hand selecting off of a stable strain like TS Morouga to come up with Satan's Kiss strain? Hmmmmmm...... It's a pure strain to start with and no crossing mentioned. I feel like the naming is going a bit far honestly, but it's marketing.

This Warwick University is having no issues kicking out 1mm+++ SHU figures too.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

Chris

I bought the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red from him not the Satan's version.. the name sounded just made up. I am worried not about the 7-pod and the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red i bought from him... if we all think he's full of it.. then am i growing bubcus too? Thought Gerald was respectable.. was I wrong?

He's a snake oil salesman. You may have still got the real thing, its just how he markets everything as special and new, and adds new names trying to con in the naive and gullible :(

He's a snake oil salesman. You may have still got the real thing, its just how he markets everything as special and new, and adds new names trying to con in the naive and gullible :(
[/quote

Thanks P! keeping my fingers crossed. think i might keep with my own seeds for a bit or Pepperlover and THSC. PL seems to have a truly educated passion for growing and Neil... well what can you say about Neil.. love his spirit!!

Why not just trade seeds here in the fall? There are many generous members here willing to share seeds with frequent posters. Stick around and you'll be taken care of :)

Back