• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

PtMD989 said:
I have a question about using the rockwool. Do you bury the rockwool block in the potting soil ? Are the rockwool blocks something you can reuse?
Your plants look great. Your system is working good for you. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment they do not look all that great to me to be honest, i once again need dial in time for the new nutrition solution i have been giving them to see how well they start growing after some time, but i am lucky that making very quick changes in the nutrition solution is possible with coco coir growing.

I will bury the carefully chopped up rockwool piece in the bottom of the small pot after the chili roots start growing inside it using a small serrated kitchen knife. After the rockwool chopping i put a layer of coco coir in the bottom of the pot, before finally placing the rockwool piece in the bottom of the pot according to how long the chili stems are.

Used rockwool blocks that had nothing living inside them are something you should be able to re-use by washing them first with a regular diluted household stuff that kills germs and then rinsing them carefully with clean water multiple times before use.

Does the cubes come apart easy? Or do you have to go about it like a diamond cutter?

PtMD989 said:
Does the cubes come apart easy? Or do you have to go about it like a diamond cutter?

If it is really wet, it is like tearing long fibers but i would just place the cube on to a plastic plate and saw it downwards with the serrated edge.

They dont look too bad at all and they still have not made much roots to the new pots either:

Hot paper lantern was not ready for the bigger pot, so it a bit yellow green at the moment and as a side note i ordered a 5kg bag of epsom salt to try it out as i have never used it before, but i heard it work great for chili/tomato plants.

B'cuzz coco a+b doest seem to need any help by adding the epsom salt, but i will still try it out. However i think my ghe floramicro/floramato fertilizer might need that epsom salt added in during the summer to make the chilis grow/flower even better than before.

TrentL said:
Those are looking great! 

Are you running a fan on them to build up strength in the main stalk at all?

Dont need to use anything like that for the stems to grow nice/strong under the led and i also bury the stems as they grow bigger.

I also added the epsom salt to B'cuzz coco A+B stuff and used that to water the chilis:

I think my apartment water that i use is maybe too soft or lacking something important and the added Epsom salt seems to be correcting the magnesium balance in the coco coir.

Now they are starting to look fine after i corrected the magnesium issue:

My tallest chili is only 11cm long after i buried all of the chili stems inside the growing medium many weeks ago and few of the c.baccatum are already wanting to start forming flowers when they are still so small.

Well i am not going to stop them from doing the flowering this, as it means that they will become more bushier in the end. :P

180w cob led spider sure seems like it is really good growing light and it has more than enough power to make them start flowering, when it is about 60cm above them and only giving them light 11 hours a day.

Genetikx said:
Good call on the epsom salt, plants are looking real nice

I am the type of mad scientist that wants to solve problems in chili growing sooner than later. This is why i am always reading new stuff and testing all kind of things, that may or may not work in the end.

Walchit said:
How much Epsom salt did you use?

1 teaspoon of epsom salt+my current fertilizer dosage/10 litres of water. You dont want to go overboard with the epsom salt as it can mess up the uptake of the other nutrients in the coco coir/soil.

Use just enough to give the plant all the magnesium it currently may need for optimal growing, but no more than that to be in the safe side.

I put a pinch in a gallon when I watered a couple weeks ago, I sent my wife to the nursery to get calmag and they didn't have any. She brought me back some weird fertilizer with calmag in it, SMH.

https://www.amleo.com/peters-excel-calmag-fertilizer-15-5-15/p/G15515/?kc=amlshop18n,&mkwid=sqT1Q9f0I|dm&pcrid=252719817734&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=G15515&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLqt7srk2QIVzrbACh0BvQDSEAQYASABEgLuAvD_BwE

But they sold her a pound of it in a Ziploc bag for 9.99.

It has chelated minerals in it, I might end up giving them a light dose at some point

Walchit said:
I put a pinch in a gallon when I watered a couple weeks ago, I sent my wife to the nursery to get calmag and they didn't have any. She brought me back some weird fertilizer with calmag in it, SMH.

https://www.amleo.com/peters-excel-calmag-fertilizer-15-5-15/p/G15515/?kc=amlshop18n,&mkwid=sqT1Q9f0I|dm&pcrid=252719817734&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=G15515&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqLqt7srk2QIVzrbACh0BvQDSEAQYASABEgLuAvD_BwE

But they sold her a pound of it in a Ziploc bag for 9.99.

It has chelated minerals in it, I might end up giving them a light dose at some point

Maybe next time you could send her to the pharmacy instead to get some pure epsom salt. Maybe you could try adding some of that calmag fertilizer stuff in there like every week, as that higher nitrate content in that calmag kind of bothers me.

The first plant in the middle is Aji cristal and it is having the most problems with the leaves, but it seems that it is starting to heal up with the help of epsom salt.

The yellow looking plant is hot paper lantern, but it is still growing despite the strange looks it has, so i am just going to leave it alone for the nature to do it's thing as nothing is more deadly to the chili than overcaring grower.

Wonder what is up with that paper lantern? Looks a bit anemic. Is that a hot spot or something under the lights, maybe? I noticed the plants directly centered under my T5's are lagging a little and looking a lot less green, and more yellow, than the ones on the edges.

Back