• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chilli Jam

Hi guys

I've been searching through the forums for sweet chilli ideas and from what I can see chilli jam is not talked about much here. I've been making chilli jam for years. Has anyone here used chillies in sweet preserves? In the UK where I originate we call sweet preserves Jam or Marmalade, but I'm not sure if that's true for the rest of the world.
I've put my chilli jam recipe on my blog, any feedback on it would be great.

http://fuertefire.com/chilli-jam/

maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like it would have much heat with only two scotch bonnets in it
never used wine vinegar in any of my Jams or Jelly's either

thanks for sharing though

i find one of the most fun challenges about creating new jam recipes is the experimenting 
:cheers:

I make marmalade out of my jalapeños. Generally quite  a simple recipe.

500g fruit
500g sugar (that contains pectin) 
3dl of liquid, generally water but can be apple juice etc. 
tiny bit of lemon or lime juice

What I've done so far is jalapeño/strawberry and jalapeño/mango, both have gone down well, great feedback from everyone who's tried it. I have half chillies half other fruit. The mango one works almost like a chutney I've heard from one of my testers.

Thanks very much for the comments and recipe suggestions, I'm always open to try new approaches to cooking and I really like the idea of having a chilli + Fruit combination I think that is going to be my next new experimental adventure. You are right Guatemalan Insanity Pepper it's not super hot but we have it as a breakfast jam, and it does spark up the taste buds. If you ever get around to trying the recipe I'd love to hear your thoughts  :drooling:

Next month is when I'll start making the jellies and mustards, although I'm willing to try out your recipe as I'm up to the top of my head in Scotch Bonnets this year and the apple season is here.

Good to hear you are going to try the jam. I don't think you can ever have too many Scotch Bonnets, I'm off outside now to pick more bonnets for my sauce. With my surplus I mill down the bonnets pop them in a bag in the freezer so I have plenty for the winter months. I use a mix of bonnets and Indian Dhani (birds eye) for my hot (kabab style) sauce.

Back