• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chiltepin? Tiny orange pepper from Miami of unknown origin.

A coworker brought me some little orange peppers from his dad's backyard in Miami, FL. I realize it's hard to be helpful w/o a picture of the plant:

591520866.jpg

I liked it a lot and I think there's enough time left here in Florida ... so I bought a plant ea of: AMARILLEAR, BOD'E, CHILTEPIN AMARILLO/FORT PRESCOTT/McMAHON'S BIRD/PIMA BAJO/SONORAN/TARAHUMARA/TEXAS, and some HERMOSILLO from CCN.

I guess I could read how to procure seeds from the remaining half of the bag, too - that's probably wisest (since I really like them - they were citrsuy and surprisingly hot).

Thanks in advance for any input!

I bet you a dollar to a donut that those are Brazillian Pepper Berries...they are a wild exotic that was introduced into south Florida as an ornamental about 1840 and have flourished in that environment....the black bears in the everglades/big cypress swamp love them as is evident from their scat....

here is a link to a picture of them....

https://www.google.c...0.0.i_tfV3BCM_Q

and here is some more information on the Brazillian Pepper...

http://www.tbep.org/...ilianPepper.pdf

I bet you a dollar to a donut that those are Brazillian Pepper Berries...they are a wild exotic that was introduced into south Florida as an ornamental about 1840 and have flourished in that environment....the black bears in the everglades/big cypress swamp love them as is evident from their scat....

With nearly 17k posts I'm inclined to agree with you categorically - that's an incredible level of commitment.

That being said, I am very familiar with those! I've got a 4+ topical allergy to pepper tree, cut grass, dust mites, and american cockroach (not a good set for living in Florida) and have been cutting those down in every yard I've lived in here for my entire life. It's hard to tell from the picture I posted what size they are, because zip-loc's vary, so I took a picture using a quarter a moment ago - including the one that had a leaf attached still in case that's helpful for anyone.

photo.jpg

Either way, they have such a nice citrusy flavor (like a habanero) along w/ a little hint of a smokey flavor ... that I actually rather enjoyed the one I ate raw. I'll just have to read how to procure seed this morning and grow some out. I think I'll ask my coworker to take pictures of the source next time he's in Miami, too.

Thanks for the input!

good you know the brazilian...I have been wrong in the past...I can not identify them and the taste you describe is not exactly what I would call a tepin IMO...not saying Willard is wrong because he is a lot more knowledgeable that I am...how is the burn on them....the wild tepins I grow are an immediate harsh burn up front on the lips and tongue but wanes pretty quickly...if it is a lasting burn, I don't have a clue..

I think I just learned tepin isn't short for chiltepin, thank you.

I like these so much more than most of the peppers I've had, so I ordered one ea of every tepin CCN had and am going to read up on how to procure seeds from the 2nd half of this bag ... and then I'll make a pizza w/ the fruit, I think =)

Thanks.

good you know the brazilian...I have been wrong in the past...I can not identify them and the taste you describe is not exactly what I would call a tepin IMO...not saying Willard is wrong because he is a lot more knowledgeable that I am...how is the burn on them....the wild tepins I grow are an immediate harsh burn up front on the lips and tongue but wanes pretty quickly...if it is a lasting burn, I don't have a clue..

So, our shop foreman brought them in to me on Friday morning. Since he likes medium spicy food, and I've recently experienced damn hot stuff, I decided to chew one up on the spot. It was citrusy and a tiny bit smokey - all on the lips, really - and while the heat lasted only a few minutes, the fruity flavor stayed w/ me all morning on my lips. I REALLY liked them, I must confess.

They look similar to both the Charapita (Chinense) and Chiltepin Amarillo(Annuum) I grew last year.

Different tastes and flesh thickness and heat.
Yellow chiltepin amarillo was a short quick burst of heat,thin skinned with a typical taste for that pepper.
Charapita was a longer burn with a great Chinense taste.

The Brazillian peppers I remember from Florida grew on big giant shrublike trees. They will take over a plot of land and are consideered a nuisanance.

@ Armac...that's what I thought but they say that's not it...

They look identical to the Chilli's I have called wild Brazil from Judy at pepperlovers . I assume they are the same as what aj was talking about??

They look the most like the one's on her site called Goat Weed, however, those reportedly have a small number of seeds per pod - where these have 5x that amount.

1-photo.jpg

I took seed from a half-dozen of them and had a couple of chocolate cake shots and Danielle threw the fruit in our curry:

2-photo.jpg

They look like the Goat Weed picture she has - or perhaps her Tepin (as Willard suggested), but fit the description of the CGN20800, which are from Guyana.

At least in this case, I'll be able to get a picture of the original plant - and maybe even a cutting - it's just a matter of my coworker going home again. And folks from Miami, tend to like to go home pretty often.

Cheers!

PS - I'm about to read smokemaster's threads =)

Back