• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Choco Scorpion?

An update from an earlier I.D. post. These were supposed to be Jay's peach ghost scorpions that I ordered from J. Duffy. Here's what grew. I'm sending some of these off in the a.m., so I'd like to be able to tell the recipient what they are. Thanks all.

10317281896_81d9118e00_o.jpg

Flavor update:

I got a message from Meathead saying the one he ate was approx. jalapeno heat level, but he noticed the potent aroma as well. I thought maybe it was an odd pod he ate, so I ate a whole ripe one directly off my plant. The flavor is somewhat "earthy" and slightly pungent. And the heat.... well, He was right. It gives the impression between the aroma, flavor, and initial heat that a heat rush is coming, but it never does come. I'd say it topped out somewhere around 10,000 SHU, at best. Probably lower than that, realistically. Now I'm really baffled.

SciurusDoomus said:
If they grow crazy again and you feel like refining a new strain out of these, PM me. I'll help you stabilize if you want.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not sure I like the flavor enough to want more of them. Plus side? It's a good prolific producer.

Great description Phil. Sounds exactly like I experienced. To begin with I was worried it was going to hurt bad, then the heat suddenly just stopped. Completely threw me off while I was doing the vid, and had to stop it cos I wasn't sure what had happened lol. Really weird. Have been popping a few here and there still, pretty much decided I'm not a fan of the grassy flavour, but still eating them anyway haha. Weirdest part is the first one I ate had some sweetness to it, so I actually liked the flavour of that one, but the rest have had no sweetness at all. The heat level is great for a quick snacker without too much heat though. Think I might have to get a hold of some proper choco scorps, cut them up at work and give some coworkers a try, then when they start freaking out just start popping these 1 after the other lmao. 

No way I would get anyone at work to bite on this one. I fed them Nagas last year. They no longer trust me. HA!

Me and four other guys all ate a whole one. It hurt..... bad! One guy was sucking down cough syrup to try to kill the burn... lol!

I wonder if the pepper plants are trying to discourage animals from eating them.

But it may be good for germination if a seed passes through a grizzly bears system.

On the other hand something tells me those grizzly bears don't eat the super hots.

Could you imagine running into a mother grizzly bear and if that wasn't enough ? 

She just ate some 1.8 million scoville wicked chocolate moruga or something ? 

I love the genius in marketing that you were able to successfully sell these without knowing what they are.

My suggestion is to play the mystery angle you know ?  Play that up, hike up the skirt a little more, sell mystery.

It's so much easier to just sell mystery than play detective on what on earth it could be.

I do wonder what a grizzly bear would be like after eating a chocolate moruga though

Oh wait.

selling mystery would be lowering the skirt a little more.

NattyIce5 said:
I love the genius in marketing that you were able to successfully sell these without knowing what they are.

Sell? Nah.... I gave. Free gift to a buddy who wanted to try something new. Or maybe I'm just not catching your drift with all the bears and whatnot. But hey, who doesn't like hyperbole?

NattyIce5 said:
*stuff about grizzlies*

Chillis aren't native to North America (where you find grizzlies.) They are, in fact native to South America and were cultivated there by humans for many many many years before explorers brought them to Asia, Europe, and North America. Chillis likely didn't evolve by being pleasing to local fauna; that is local non-human fauna. Since humans and chillis have such a long history, it's difficult to ascertain whether or not the chillis of way-back-when started out as hot as the ones as we have now. Certainly they weren't as hot as Morugas to start, they were bred that way selectively over many thousands of generations. In fact the heat of a pepper isn't so much a way to discourage animals from eating them, in fact it may work the totally opposite way depending on what it was bred for. 

XsDP40A.gif

Phil said:

Sell? Nah.... I gave. Free gift to a buddy who wanted to try something new. Or maybe I'm just not catching your drift with all the bears and whatnot. But hey, who doesn't like hyperbole?
My bad, my bad... :)

That's nice you are giving.

I didn't mean anything dark by that, I just meant, there is a genius in marketing if we can sell something without knowing what it even is.
SciurusDoomus said:

Chillis aren't native to North America (where you find grizzlies.) They are, in fact native to South America and were cultivated there by humans for many many many years before explorers brought them to Asia, Europe, and North America. Chillis likely didn't evolve by being pleasing to local fauna; that is local non-human fauna. Since humans and chillis have such a long history, it's difficult to ascertain whether or not the chillis of way-back-when started out as hot as the ones as we have now. Certainly they weren't as hot as Morugas to start, they were bred that way selectively over many thousands of generations. In fact the heat of a pepper isn't so much a way to discourage animals from eating them, in fact it may work the totally opposite way depending on what it was bred for. 

XsDP40A.gif
Interesting.

Both the rainbow lama and the thoughts.

I always wonder about thorns and say barbs on nettles.  I figure those might be defense mechanisms for the plants.  I see your point about the evolution of Capsicum.

It is truly most amazing that different plants produce different chemicals.   I suppose if the increase in capsaicin is from breeding then likely it is not to keep animals from consuming the fruit.

Plants are strange. Some want birds to consume them, some need animals to consume them and others ? I think would prefer their fruits to fall to the ground.  

Maybe fruit is just bait.   You know ? The plant is thinking "heh heh heh, I'll just stick some seeds in the middle of this apple and they'll eat them, and take them away from here and increase my chances at winning the powerball I mean my chances at winning period."

I will plant some super hots in the wild this year and see if anything eats them.

South America does have Jaguars I wonder how that would go. 

Both thorns and capsaicin are indeed defense mechanisms. Plants are very much like animals in two basic, primal needs..... they need to feed and reproduce. They build in the defenses to prevent their means of reproduction from being destroyed (the fruits). For instance..... my dog LOVES bell peppers right off the plants. She goes nuts when she sees me pull a small one. Her eyes get huge and she starts drooling. I toss it to her and she snatches it out of the air and eats it. I tried giving her a habanero, and when I put it in front of her nose, she sniffs it and turns her head. It's like she knows. Of course, it doesn't deter ALL animals.... But neither do thorns, right?

I have noticed that my wild blackberry vines that are covered in thorns try to grow to reach out to take up other plant spaces from the sun.. naturally when the wind blows the thorns shred all other nearby plant leaves clearing up more vine space for the blackberry vines to grow.  it's all about survival

unfortunately for the blackberry vine I took notice to the shreaded leaves from my superhots nearby... so no more blackberry vines *snip snip*

Back