• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Chocolate ferment

I've wanting to make this one for quite awhile. Mix of choc scorpions, choc Scotch bonnets, choc ghost, and choc habs. Once it's done it will get some brown sugar mixed in and probably a little more garlic.
Half of the pods were smoked with Apple wood. I have high hopes for this one.

JohnsMyName said:
Wow, looks good. Looks hot!
Yeah it's pretty hot right now. really tasty though. I'm curious to see how the smoke flavor holds up in the ferment. If it's anything close to this sauce I'll be real happy.

That sauce has an awesome flavor, I just wish it was a little hotter. This should be that lol.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well for you. I personally have had problems with the chocolate ferments. I have had several fail, as they acquired too much kalm yeast for some reason. They say its harmless, but I personally don't like the smell or taste that it adds. However, your in Missouri and entering the cold season, so perhaps it will work out just fine. 

I love doing smoked ferments Ozzy after you process for bottling allow to rest for 20/30 days in your fridge then bottle. I find this allows the smoke flavor to meld and bloom giving a fantastic smoke flavor without any muddled taste. Tested a few and found this method works best for me!! :) very excited to see the results!!!!

oldsalty said:
I love doing smoked ferments Ozzy after you process for bottling allow to rest for 20/30 days in your fridge then bottle. I find this allows the smoke flavor to meld and bloom giving a fantastic smoke flavor without any muddled taste. Tested a few and found this method works best for me!! :) very excited to see the results!!!!
Do you just return it to a big mason jar or Tupperware then?

I bet this will be one fine sauce though. I love the smell and taste of many chocolate peppers. I want to try another one, but temp controlled and in a low humidity environment. 

So I processed this ferment 2 nights ago.  OMG its sooo good.  Its definitely close to the once I was trying to mimic.  I missed on my "little bit hotter" mark lol.  Its pretty hot.  It was the first one that I got to where I didn't want to taste it anymore because my tongue was burning haha.  I ended up just sucking on some ice cubes in between taste.  I'll post up some pics later when I get home.  

The smoked flavor in these is still present.  I added some vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and a green pepper to help tone down the spice.  I also added about a tbs of fresh thyme leaves.  I love just smelling this one.  

Pic of bottles.

Just tried the sauce, HOT DAMN! :)

Definitely packs some heat, but totally manageable. The sauce smells fantastic! The smoke is present, but subtle, not over powering. Great balance of flavors too, the peppers, garlic and vinegar are all there but none too pronounced. Home run Ozzy!

Back