• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

"Chocolate" Reaper growing log ....

Well last year I grew a bunch of seedlings from one of my Reaper pods. To start it was a funky reaper with odd shaped pods. Anyhow out of that batch 3 of the plants produced brown ,very hot peppers. The appearance were all over the map even on a single plant. Some looked Moruga-ish, others longer , some reaperish...

I overwintered the planted and got one single pepper to fruition. From that I grew two second generation plants. Below are a pic of the two plants grown from the pepper that I grew in isolation and a pod growing on one of them. Soon I will know if they retained their chocolate color! Unlike some peppers that seem to give uniform pod shapes none of these seem to whether first or second generation. Slight variations abound on the same plant.
  Second generation plants
2wez6fm.jpg

Second gen. pod...not all have this shape.
2afbl28.jpg

I also grew a bunch of seedlings from the 3 originals not isolated and I'm watching them. The pods look VERY promising.  They too have nice shaped pods. I am very eager to see if they retained their chocolate color while being grown from chocolate pods outside not in isolation.

Well more will be revealed soon. Bob

BobR said:
Couple more nicely shaped second generation "Coco" Reapers. Just picked these a few minutes ago. The nicely shaped ones (not all are) have 3 lobes and a snout. Bob

These 2 pods are closed enough as a reaper.  I grew this variety last season but it pods out a shape not resembling my expectations

Well its past time to pick this plant! One of my two year old Chocolate , coco , or whatever "reapers"....Bob

Sorry bad pic...
169nneq.jpg

Picked 8 lbs of these today. Unfortunately a bunch were rotten since I got to them too late. Too much going on lately. Bob

12031999_10153510581757211_3851330505211517094_n.jpg

Gnarly coco pod...

12046598_10153510596082211_2093906571211514105_n.jpg

These plants are prolific. Heres a second gen. plant in a 5 gallon bucket. Looks way more impressive in person. Just picked 4 lbs off two of these plants in 5 gallon containers. Bob

2zq5z4y.jpg

While the pod shape is all over the map some look exactly like Chocolate Reapers! Chocolate on left. True Reaper on right. Bob

2ltismo.jpg

Been a while. A picture of my 2cd generation coco reaper plant now inside. After a real thorough washing of the roots and transfer into clean soil - no aphids this year! yay! All the leaves fell of at first from shock but it rebounded wonderfully. At this rate it will be huge by spring. Hoping for a few good pods for generation 3....Bob​

12365951_10153664680992211_6090054124504753618_o.jpg

nice looking plant, its funny that when it threw out the choco pods that most of the pods shape were so different almost like a F2 which would show a expression of many pod shapes, but even the reaper had a lot of off phenol pods at first.

az8gns.jpg

Well I was surprised to see a nice looking pod on my second generation plant so soon. The plant is growing amazingly fast. The hope of generation 3....Bob

Well this pepper is maturing quickly and the plant now has many smaller ones on it too! Think generation 3 seeds will be here soon. Bob

289h9wm.jpg

Back