• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Choosing between grow shelves

I found two shelving units suitable for growing my seedlings this winter and I'd like your input on them. I have scoped out some 4' florescent shop lights to hang on each level (x2) for 4 tubes per level. The light fixtures are about 6" wide. Both shelves are adjustable and I'll only be lighting 3 levels.

The first one:

It's 18.75" deep, 48.75" wide, has 5 levels. This one is bulkier but a bit wider and deeper than the next. The advantage of this is that the light should fit completely inside the shelf. If I decide to box the shelf in with white board that will be an advantage. This shelf is $75.

The second shelf:

This one is 18" deep, 48" wide, chrome wire shelf. It has 6 levels, wheels, and is $99. The light fixtures probably won't completely fit inside the shelf therefore I may not be able to box it in very good if I decide to do that. I kind of like this one better though. It's lighter, easier to move around, had has more levels.

Originally I wanted a shelf between 21-24" so I could place 4 seed trays. However I have had next to no luck finding an affordable shelf that deep. Since I'll be lighting 3 levels this doesn't matter much and will give me better light density for my area anyways.

What do you think about the shelves?

Thanks!

I've been thinking of that but once you factor in all the costs building one won't be much cheaper unless I make it a piece of crap. :) LOL j/k sorta, but you know what I mean.

I would for sure go with the first option. It is one solid shelving unit! I worked at Express for Men for a while, and those are the racks they used for all the clothing in the back; rows of them, stacked ontop of eachother. Really solid. I wouldn't say the same for the wire rack; the ones I have seen look flimsy. Plus, being able to box in = huge plus! :hell:

I have one like the first one in my garage. I use 2 shelves for plants and the others for storing stuff. Each shelf has 3 4' shop lights and holds 4 trays of plants. Works great athough I need more shelves for plants this year.:lol: Just gotta find somewhere for the other stuff in the garage.

jacob

I have 3 of the second one and feel I must comment on the comment that was made about it looking flimsy...It is not. In fact it is rated to hold 500 pounds. With that said, I am an advocate of the wire shelving units because the shelves themselves are more easily moved up and down, you get more airflow, light and heat transfer from shelf to shelf and it is easier to mount your shop lights to with simple hooks and chains. Just my 2 cents...;)

jjs7741 said:
Each shelf has 3 4' shop lights and holds 4 trays of plants.

Jacob, is that 4 2 tube shop lights for a total of 6 lights per shelf? Is your shelf about 18" deep, and if so are your light fixtures tight together? Any chance you have a pic for me to see? I'm wondering if I should go for 2 or 3 fixtures per shelf, or maybe 3 on one, 2 on the others, and if I should allow my 21" trays to hang over the edge as to fit 4 trays.

Thanks.

rshortt said:
Jacob, is that 4 2 tube shop lights for a total of 6 lights per shelf? Is your shelf about 18" deep, and if so are your light fixtures tight together? Any chance you have a pic for me to see? I'm wondering if I should go for 2 or 3 fixtures per shelf, or maybe 3 on one, 2 on the others, and if I should allow my 21" trays to hang over the edge as to fit 4 trays.

Thanks.

There are 3 4' 2 tube shop lights per shelf for a total of 6 bulbs. My shelves are 24" X 48" and I have the length of the trays running the width of the shelves not the length for a total of 4 trays per shelf. I hope that makes sense. With only 2 lights, there wasn't enough coverage for the entire surface area of the trays and the middle plants were turning to the light. Two lights are sufficient if you run the parallel to the lights. That is what I do for germinating in 72 cell flats on my workbench.

Unfortunately, I can't take a picture right now as I have the set up taken apart right now to make improvements. Last year I had the lights on individual chains and was a pain in the ass to adjust. Right now I am attaching all 3 lights to a board that will be attached to a chain to make it easier to adjust as the plants grow. I will probably change which shelves they are on as right now I have the items for storage on the top and the plants on the bottom. This made it more difficult to get to the plants.

I can probably get it all finished this week as I am off all week for the holidays and can get some pictures then. Only about 3 weeks until germination and there is still a lot to do to get the area ready.

Merry Christmas!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
There are 3 4' 2 tube shop lights per shelf for a total of 6 bulbs. My shelves are 24" X 48" and I have the length of the trays running the width of the shelves not the length for a total of 4 trays per shelf. I hope that makes sense. With only 2 lights, there wasn't enough coverage for the entire surface area of the trays and the middle plants were turning to the light. Two lights are sufficient if you run the parallel to the lights. That is what I do for germinating in 72 cell flats on my workbench.

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

I use some similar to your second example. The shelves are 48" and work fine with shop lights

43771036.jpg

Nice, johnf. I really like the wire shelves. However I went and got shelf #1 last night since it's a tad wider and deeper, I can box it in, and it was a bit cheaper. I am starting with 4 4 tube fixtures that I also picked up yesterday - 2 per shelf for 2 shelves until I need more space. It's tempting to jam in 3 three fixtures per shelf but I think 2 will be enough.

Thanks, will post pics soon. Got the lights up now, seedling heat mat, seedling tray with some moist seed starter mix, and a temperature probe to see if the temps will be adequate in my cold basement. If it's in range I'll start my seeds real soon but I'm still waiting for some Aji Amarillo and Datil seeds which I'd like to go into my first batch.

Here's some quick pics of the shelf:

I setup a germination tray with heat pad and lights - no seeds yet - just to tune in my temperature. There's a temperature probe buried in the soil, it's about 87 degrees F now so I may raise the lights another bit.

TODO:
Box it in with white or mylar.

Take the second one anyday. MUCH better. I have 3 of them. THey are NOT NOT NOT junk. Super strong, flexible design, love them.

I did something similar last year check out my blog on it.....each shelf was a self contained, insulated grow box. It work perfect and I had several great plants from the set up!!!!

Updated pic, added mylar walls. Emergency blankets covering cardboard attached to the outside. I'll build a drape or something to hang over the front once I figure out air circulation and stuff.

Back