• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chorizo's 2019 Glog

This begins with overwintering of Scotch Bonnets, Habaneros (red, orange), and Red Bhuts, plus an occasional Tabasco and Red Chili.  New additions are more Scotch Bonnets seeded over the winter, plus some Reapers purchased from HD recently, and some Red Bells.  Some small Thai germinating too, although my parent plants did not survive.  Also trying to germinate some Piri-Piri.  Was a warmer, wet winter here.this year.  Still drying out.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 79
Things are starting to move.  Lots of flower blooms, some still doing an initial drop, but then they kick in and start rocking.  First peppers of the season are Scotch Bonnets.  I picked them green to ripen inside, and stimulate the plant into action.  Then I found a nursery version touted as a Carolina Reaper (credit Vigoro tm).  They are producing right off the bat, but the morphology looks different from what I have seen elsewhere.  I suspect this is some sort of cross or hybrid, to not encroach on any patents or claims otherwise.  As to the heat and flavor, we shall soon find out.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 65
This is what my "Carolina Reaper" peppers look like in morphology.  More like a Naga Morich.  Maybe crossed with a CR?
None of 6 plants is producing any bumpy little red pepper with a tail. 

Attachments

• Naga-Morich-e1529429814793.jpg
    Naga-Morich-e1529429814793.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 62
Picked this Purple Bell today.  First bell I have ever seen with a tail.  It is a 2nd-year plant that has been surrounded with a variety of hot peppers, but I suspect just an anomaly.  If it is hot, I will retain seeds, but I suspect not. Size is a little larger than a golf ball.  Green Bonnet for reference. 

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 57
Well, they are growing well, but I still think these are something other than the famous "Smokin Ed's" Carolina Reaper.  They are growing prolifically, but the morphology difference has me a bit spooked.  Once we get some ripened, I will test the waters and see what we have here. 

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 54
Things moving now.  Habaneros are starting to hold pods and blossom drop is decreasing.  Temps in the upper 80's to low 90's, humidity picking up. Several pods on they mystery CR.  color change starting on one, so we'll see what this does.  Habs and Scotch Bonnets also moving, ripening.  Tons of blossoms on so many plants, this could get crazy in the next couple of months. 

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1692.jpg
    IMG_1692.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 45
Update, lots of flowers and small pods setting on many varieties.  Ripening on the so called "reapers".  Having some leaf minimization or almost curling on some varieties.  Friends also having this show up on their plants. Was thinking micro-nutrients deficiency, however using just Miracle Grow has done great for several months.  Also, weather warming up, humidity picking up. 

Attachments

• IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 49
Acquired a Lemon Drop plant (actually 2 in one pot/BOGO), at a local farmer's market.  Was looking for freshly picked hots, but nothing new in the produce section.  Came home (with other provisions), and separated these and put them out of the nasty hot weather we have today.  Hoping they harden up soon, then back to the pepper playground.

I don't know much about this pepper.  How hot are we talking about?  Best uses?

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 55
So summer monsoon rains descended on us yesterday.  Today is sunny, hot, humid.  All of the watering seems to have caused leaf drop, flower drop, and even some pod drop on several plants, but today is drier, so hopefully we rebound.  Still a lot of growth and pod ripening.  Running the smoker today (day off), with some skirt steak and jumbo Jalapenos.

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 51
GLOG update, 9 May 2019.

With temps in the high 80's, humidity increasing, and lots of sun, Growth is taking off.  Leaf and flower drop from previous week's has leveled of, and pods are on many plants.  Jalapenos, red habaneros, scotch bonnets, what are purported to be Carolina reapers, Red Bhuts, and Tabasco.  In the forefront are red cherry peppers.  Also tomatillos are going nuts. (all first pic).

Scotch Bonnets in my over-wintered plant are doing well, nice size, but still green (second pic).  Three have ripened this week.  Going to save them for a sauce.  Red Habs are producing pods, but they take forever to turn color.  Orange Habs are flowering and bushing, but to pods yet (last pic).

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 48
19 May 2019 update.  Lots of peppers, but slow to ripen.  Harvested some tomatillos and green bonnets for a green salsa.  Red ones are the HD Vigoro-brand "Carolina Reaper".  Hot but not any hotter than a Red Bhut.  Definitely not as hot as the trademarked Reaper.  Hot dry weather has returned for the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 57
Harvest as of today, less what I ate earlier this week.  Big heat outside and no rain in sight.  Supposed to be 103 on Wednesday.  Watering every day or every other, and pods are ripening.  Habaneros and Red Bhuts are slow to ripen, but some red Habs are ripening erly and Scotch Bonnets (yellow) also ripening.  I am waiting for the Jalepenos to turn red, for a chipotle sauce approach.  Tobascos are plentiful, but still green. 

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 44
Looking great, Jeff! Harvesting peppers already.
That is just awesome!

The Lemon Drop peppers have very little heat,
but make a very flavorful, mild powder. A favorite
of a lot of our friends.

Have one plant that looks like a cross of a Bhut (bumpy skin) and either a Scotch Bonnet or Habanero.  Pods are thicker and barrel shaped, but with the bumps of a Bhut.  Have not ripened to give a color yet, so still a guess.  It would have been a cross from two years ago.  Otherwise, Red Bhuts are ripening slowly, but tons of Pods growing.  Rainy season has finally arrived.

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
Nice looking pods, Jeff!

Looks like a good season down your way.

Hope you have avoided the worst of the
bad weather.

Here comes monsoon season, and all the critters that come with it.  Aphids, mosquitoes, moles, armadillos, we're on deck to fight back, but it's going to be fun. 
We have a lot of pods just starting to ripen.  I estimate 100+ of various varieties by next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 37
What kinds of peppers are those?

The green ones are supposed to be Scotch Bonnets.  The  other picture with the pumpkin-shaped green peppers are red habaneros, however this long yellow thing is growing on the same plant (?).  Trying to figure this out.  second one to come out like this.

Back