• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Christopher Phillips Leukemia Fund

Let's Go Team!!!! Even a dollar can help!!! We can make a major impact on the life of one of our own !! Had to watch a Good friend succumb to this horrible disease!!! Let's stand strong and show some love gang!! We will leave no Chili Head's behind!!! We are a small group but Strong!!! Let's show some Love!! In this battle we all can make a difference!!! :)

oldsalty said:
Let's Go Team!!!! Even a dollar can help!!! We can make a major impact on the life of one of our own !! Had to watch a Good friend succumb to this horrible disease!!! Let's stand strong and show some love gang!! We will leave no Chili Head's behind!!! We are a small group but Strong!!! Let's show some Love!! In this battle we all can make a difference!!! :)
Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,  I've known Chris for several years and he's a great guy and a good friend, he has been through a lot over the years, he and his family really need all the help they can get, I know just how tough this disease is on him and his family first hand, they can use every penny donated, the treatments for leukemia are very expensive and the worry and pain is heart breaking.  So please reach in your pockets and donate what ever you can. We can make a difference for him.  Thank you all. 

SteffenMB said:
Is there a place where we can follow him or his family to see how things are going?
A website or Facebook page? Thanks.
Not really Steffen, other than the fund raising site itself. We ran a FB group to organise things initially, but that isn`t really being used much now. I could set one up if people thought it was a good idea. Let me know in this thread.

Currently, the FundRaiser stands at $6593 at 12.15pm, Sunday Nov. 22nd. 

Nigel, is there a PayPal account to send the money?  I tried to PM you, but I get a message that you're not getting new messages.  If you can kindly post to this thread or PM me, that would be great.  Thanks.

Paphlady said:
Nigel, is there a PayPal account to send the money?  I tried to PM you, but I get a message that you're not getting new messages.  If you can kindly post to this thread or PM me, that would be great.  Thanks.
Sorry, I`ve been out of THP for a while. 

The Fundraising site is linked directly to Chris` PayPal account and the funds go to him in real time during the campaign. The money goes to nobody else and the only fees are those of PayPal. While having any fees is far from ideal, it`s the best I could do and the least I could find. 

http://www.donationto.com/Christopher-Phillips-Leukemia-Fund

I hope this is enough info. If not, let me know again!

Thanks so much Nigel for bringing this to our attention. I have been so busy with my move I just saw this. Chris is a great guy and I will send something along with my prayers. This is what a community is all about.

Nigel said:
Not really Steffen, other than the fund raising site itself. We ran a FB group to organise things initially, but that isn`t really being used much now. I could set one up if people thought it was a good idea. Let me know in this thread.

Currently, the FundRaiser stands at $6593 at 12.15pm, Sunday Nov. 22nd.
Okay thanks. I've bought some seed packs that raise money too. It would just be nice to get some updates on his struggle, if the donations help, and stuff like that - know he is our minds. I hope things will work out for him and his family.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to either read about Chris, set up sales, auctions or donated anything at all to his cause. 

I can`t claim credit for much, there are A LOT of people helping out and doing various things. I`m just the head of the snake, as it were, ready to be lopped off at moments notice  :)

I will ask Chris if I can post updates about his condition and treatment. As of yesterday (24/11/15) he`s back in Hospital with a blood clot in his leg, although he`ll be home for Thanksgiving. It`s a fairly common consequence of chemotherapy.

The fund raiser stands at an amazing $7173 as of 5.28pm, Monday 7th December.

Chris went home from Hospital today, after the 2nd round of chemotherapy with a pretty big hitting, nasty drug. He says everything tastes like sh*t, when he isn't nauseous, and he`s losing a lot of weight. It`s not the slimfast challenge I would want to take, I`m damn sure of that. I`ve seen what these drugs do, after being a Cancer Researcher for 22 years, and it`s extremely nasty.

Donations to the fund raiser are slowing down, not surprisingly. It`s the holiday season and most in the community have given what they can for now. For that, I thank you very much.

All I ask is that if you can spare a dollar or two, think about donating that. If you can`t, especially at this time of year, thanks for everything you`ve done so far. 

Perhaps we`ll get Chris on here soon and he can update you all.

For myself since I have his PayPal I sent it directly and as family...so there's no PayPal fees for he or i..also no donationto fees...

Had a buddy at work who like my previous pepper jelly I made that she asked me to make her a bunch for family. ..asked how much I said $5.. she said ..that's too cheap.. so today I gave it to her (6 1/2pints) she asked how much. ..I said a random number $50... she said OK ..let me get you the money. Also informed her that 100% will go towards Chris' leukemia fund..didn't cost me much and not that much peppers used. .. already donated but will continue to add...
As Nigel as mentioned. Feel free to donate at any time. ..

Nigel said:
The fund raiser stands at an amazing $7173 as of 5.28pm, Monday 7th December.

Chris went home from Hospital today, after the 2nd round of chemotherapy with a pretty big hitting, nasty drug. He says everything tastes like sh*t, when he isn't nauseous, and he`s losing a lot of weight. It`s not the slimfast challenge I would want to take, I`m damn sure of that. I`ve seen what these drugs do, after being a Cancer Researcher for 22 years, and it`s extremely nasty.

Donations to the fund raiser are slowing down, not surprisingly. It`s the holiday season and most in the community have given what they can for now. For that, I thank you very much.

All I ask is that if you can spare a dollar or two, think about donating that. If you can`t, especially at this time of year, thanks for everything you`ve done so far. 

Perhaps we`ll get Chris on here soon and he can update you all.

I haven't talked to Chris since he found out. You might want to pass this along. I was reading an article a few months ago about cancer patients having some success with using Miracle fruit to help with the bad taste that the chemo causes. It's the berry that causes you taste buds to turn sour to sweet for a few hours.. I believe you can order the berries online dried or fresh. Not cheap but it doesn't take much and might be worth giving it a shot. Won't help with the nausea unfortunately but might help get rid of the shit taste. Cheers Nigel.

Scorched said:

I haven't talked to Chris since he found out. You might want to pass this along. I was reading an article a few months ago about cancer patients having some success with using Miracle fruit to help with the bad taste that the chemo causes. It's the berry that causes you taste buds to turn sour to sweet for a few hours.. I believe you can order the berries online dried or fresh. Not cheap but it doesn't take much and might be worth giving it a shot. Won't help with the nausea unfortunately but might help get rid of the shit taste. Cheers Nigel.

That is an awesome idea!!! 

Has anyone heard from Chris lately? I have tried to reach him, but have not heard back from him and its been awhile ( just after he found out). I'm not on face book, so I don't know if he has been updating on what's going on.
I know He's been on chemo treatments and I know just what he's been going through with that, I just hope he is getting better.

George W.

Chris is back in Hospital and had a temp of 104°F 2 days ago and a systemic staph infection. He`s on heavy duty IV antibiotics at the moment (Vancomycin), but is a little better today (15th December). He`ll be in Hospital for another few days until they get the infection under control, but he is hoping to be home for Christmas. 

The last round of chemotherapy was with Methotrexate, a very hard-hitting drug. It`s done a great job killing the bone marrow cells, but left Chris feeling very unwell and very susceptible to infections. 

Few would know this process as well as you, George. I hope you are well and looking forward to a great Christmas.

Back