• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Cigars

talas said:
guys of to cuba in august what cigars..must i get ?:)

I think if you purchased a box of Cohiba Siglo IV you wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest.

Tonight I smoked a young Montecristo No. 4, which is probably the ubiquitous Habanos cigar. I'd recommend trying one and saving a few for the humidor. I felt it was a bit uneven and overly harsh towards the end. Time would probably have made it much smoother.

Stay away from the Guantanamera cigars from what I've heard/read. They're quite reasonably priced (read: cheap) and thus are very tempting. I have a Guantanamera Cristales waiting to be smoked. It was purchased out of pure curiosity. The smell of the wrapper is the same as a standard cigarette. Probably will be one to follow a few beer by the fire :rolleyes:

I guess cigar smoking is one of the many temptations I managed to resist, but you guys enjoy! I cannot even stand the smell *cough*!

Canuk Pepperhead said:
I sat back last night and smoked the first cigar ive had in a long time..Man it was nice.Think ill have to do it again soon

Same here, "had a stick" with my friend while drinking some straight bourbon. Good times. :D Well...except the rain.

I have toned-down my cigar smoking to literally nothing ( I was smoking a couple a day for a while)....My palate is fairly refined from medium bodied smokes (CAO Black, Gurkha Symphony) that have a fantastic flavor to full tilt take-a-seat (Camacho Coylar's, Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970's) any of those 4 are excellent smokes for me....but YMMV

The JR Cuban Limited Hoyo de Monterrey's were quite lovely as a full tilt cigar...

ok

I smoked alot of "not so legal" things many years ago....not any more........

I have now been turning my attention to the cigar....only been looking at the moment and reading this thread has been a great influence over the many months.....

Well my beautiful g/f got me 2 cigars today for my birthday.........

they are:

1. Habana - about 4 inches long and 3/8" round.....not sure if 'Habana' is the type of cigar in a brand or the overall brand?

2. A 'Romeo Y Julieta'. It is in a tin sealed tub, and says it is a 'ROMEO No. 2'. It is again 4 inches long and about 3/4 inch round (give or take).

I am very happy with what I have got but would like to know what quality they are......

Please be honest.....as I will enjoy them either way as I am very much a novice......

P.S. How long with the Romeo smoke for?????

Cheers guys.

I smoked Cuban cigars different ....
my favorites are the Partagas ...
robust, 898 and lousitanes .... truly exceptional
very good Romeo and Juliet Churchill and Cohiba Espléndidos and robust ...
much love cigars in Nicaragua with their very spicy flavor ... almost stable ...
good the Brazilians Honduran and Dominican ....
some 'less than U.S. ... (forgive) .....;)

megamastger71,
Nicaraguan smokes have really developed a notion of some really spicy treats that I enjoy (I love these Joya de Nicaragua de Antano 1970's, along with many of the Honduran heavyweights) and have put them in my current rotation...check out the Camacho Corojo which is a staple in my stable of rotation of smokes from the Jamastran Valley of Honduras...

moyboy,
I do not want this to affect your performance of the Romeo's, but Romeo y Julieta is top notch in quality and if you like them what does it matter?? (My take after trying at least 1,000+ smokes) Personally, I find most R&J's to be much the upper-middle of the road from many that I have tried...relate it to chiles ok? imagine a Tabasco pepper....it has plenty of heat for most folks but many chile-heads find it lacking in the complexity dept...cigars are much the same way but don't get me wrong I think the R&J's are great smokes, but have their place...if you have tried a gamut of chiles, the Tabasco is somewhat limiting...

I love the outer-edge of fine wines, smokes, beers, and chiles....how do you compare a 7-Pot to a Tabasco...they are quite different but both affect, taste, and burn in different ways that you must appreciate to enjoy...most Camacho's will make novice smokers spin and gag...but it is a benchmark for me... (Your mileage may vary)...but I say try the R&J and see what you like about it...is it the smell, burn, taste, or effect? or all of the above? for 2/3 of smokers it is a marvelous smoke...some of the Connecticut wrapped R&J's are quite nice...(nice as in something I would offer someone to smoke)...their maduro's (as most maduro cigars) I have seemingly grown-out-of...

R&J's are great (so do not get me wrong)...if you are just starting out an R&J is a great starting place to differentiate lesser-smokes and some of the upper-echelon smokes from either Nicaragua or Honduras...

clip, light, and enjoy!

if you have any questions...drop me a PM

TheJollyRancher said:
megamastger71,
Nicaraguan smokes have really developed a notion of some really spicy treats that I enjoy (I love these Joya de Nicaragua de Antano 1970's, along with many of the Honduran heavyweights) and have put them in my current rotation...check out the Camacho Corojo which is a staple in my stable of rotation of smokes from the Jamastran Valley of Honduras...

moyboy,
I do not want this to affect your performance of the Romeo's, but Romeo y Julieta is top notch in quality and if you like them what does it matter?? (My take after trying at least 1,000+ smokes) Personally, I find most R&J's to be much the upper-middle of the road from many that I have tried...relate it to chiles ok? imagine a Tabasco pepper....it has plenty of heat for most folks but many chile-heads find it lacking in the complexity dept...cigars are much the same way but don't get me wrong I think the R&J's are great smokes, but have their place...if you have tried a gamut of chiles, the Tabasco is somewhat limiting...

I love the outer-edge of fine wines, smokes, beers, and chiles....how do you compare a 7-Pot to a Tabasco...they are quite different but both affect, taste, and burn in different ways that you must appreciate to enjoy...most Camacho's will make novice smokers spin and gag...but it is a benchmark for me... (Your mileage may vary)...but I say try the R&J and see what you like about it...is it the smell, burn, taste, or effect? or all of the above? for 2/3 of smokers it is a marvelous smoke...some of the Connecticut wrapped R&J's are quite nice...(nice as in something I would offer someone to smoke)...their maduro's (as most maduro cigars) I have seemingly grown-out-of...

R&J's are great (so do not get me wrong)...if you are just starting out an R&J is a great starting place to differentiate lesser-smokes and some of the upper-echelon smokes from either Nicaragua or Honduras...

clip, light, and enjoy!

if you have any questions...drop me a PM

Thanks for the info mate.

I am looking faorward to the R&J and you have given me no reason not to be.....:) I love the smell of it before lighting so I hope to enjoy it as much once smoking.

I tried the small Habana last night, and I wasn't all that impressed. It was a bit to much of a burnt flavour for me (with very slight chocolate under tones). Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting smoke for my first quality cigar (quality is relative to the user as you have said) but I know it's not the cigar for me......

agrees smoking Cuban cigars big .....
are the only truly made by hand .... with the whole tobacco leaves ....

you board the formats that I mentioned a few posts ago

Its a start Moyboy -- you'll find what you like. R&J are nice cigar -- start with the milder and work your way and as you go you will notice that sometimes a different cigar fits a different occasion or food and drink. I personally like La Gloria Serie r and I have been smoking Kristof's lately I wasnt all that thrilled with the Guhrka but it was a nice cigar. I am wating for the embargo to lifted on Cuba then Cohiba would be a nice mainstay. But hey, the finest wrappers in the world are grown about an hour away from where I live.

Back