• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

100 up in 10 days sounds awesome Chris,You always grow the most amazing varieties!
You have set a high bar this year as far as pics!! I look forward to your season!

Kevin

Good luck to ya this year Chris. You gonna tell us whatcha growin or keep us in suspense? :lol:

I'll get a list together once I tally all that came up. I've been a little slow with my picture taking this year. :) Things have been a little hectic. At the 'hook' stage, they all look similar anyways. There's enough pros on this forum now. AJ documents things so well that he's a tough act to follow on the seed starting side. :)

Chris

Ciao Chris-

I completely understand the angst you're going through, trying to narrow your list down. Duane's decided to do what you wanted to do but couldn't and just focus more on the ones we cook with mostly. The hottest ones he's growing this year are Habs. He's made so much of AJ's concentrates with the superhots, that'll last us quite a while because he's not making bottled hot sauces to sell. Maybe some day, but right now, we haven't the time for it.

I'm expanding the Asian garden this year, so I've asked him to grow some additional Asian chilies. Orange Thai is great, but I'd like to try some others and compare.

I go through the same thing with my large tomato seed collection. I've decided to do at least one grow-out row for a friend each season. This year, I'm doing an extensive Large Red Paste grow-out of 24 varieties. It's the only way to get these varieties grown, compared, saved, and distributed so they don't fall off the map.

I'm always really excited to see how your season shapes up. Blessings for an amazing season!

Sorellina, did you save any seeds of interesting tomato varieties in 2010? :) I recall there were a few I wanted that you had very limited seed of, but you said you'd save seed from those. For the life of me, I can't remember which ones they were. lol. :) They may have been some from Reinhart's collection. You know me.....probably weird rare ones.

PM me when you get a chance. Your in-box is full so I can't send to you.

Chris

Cant wait to see some pics Chris. Great germ rates. Just put some of the yellow scorp cardi seeds you sent to germ yesterday I sure cant wait for those! Thanks again and happy growing t you this year.

Sowed some chiles from the Orient and a slew of Baccatums today - see list below. Let the fun begin. Can you tell I get bored planting common things? LOL. I gotta get off my butt and get the camera out sometime. For now, they are just babies with one set of true leaves.

Chris

Black Thai - Orchid Café Annuum
Flame Tongue - SSE Annuum
Hana Matasuri - Korea Annuum
Khumbu Annuum
Kii Nu Kao White - Thailand Annuum
Kraraeng Chili - Thailand Annuum
Orange Thai - SSE Annuum
Orange Thai x Sm Wild from Mexico - F1 Annuum
P. Thong Khao White Gold F1 - Thailand Annuum
Prik Ga Riang - Thailand Annuum
Prik Kee Nu Chinda Dum Black Annuum
Prik Man Dam - Thailand Annuum
Prik Yuak Yellow Annuum
Thai Variegated Annuum

Aji Campanilla Baccatum
Aji dr la Tierra Baccatum
Aji Santa Cruz Baccatum
Blondie Baccatum
Brasileiro - Stuard Baccatum
Brazillian White Baccatum
Cheiro Goiaboda Baccatum
Coracpo de Galinha Baccatum
Dae Laung - Thailand Baccatum
Don Juan x Ubatuba Cambuci Baccatum
Ethiopian Tree Baccatum
Feira de Porto Alegre Baccatum
Guarmal (Ecuador) Baccatum
Lemon Drop x PI 441551 F3 Baccatum
PI 281405 "Queen Laurie" Baccatum
Pimenta de Laranjal Baccatum
Pimenta do Capao -Do-Leao Baccatum
Pimenta do Matu Umba Baccatum

Nice list there Chris! I am gonna grow the Blondie this year too! It looks so cool!Like a white Aji Limon!
And that Prik Kee Nu Chinda Dum Black looks really interesting to me! Cant wait to see you grow that one!

You have some really cool varieties this year man!
You definitely dont have a common list there ! :lol:

Kevin

I can't wait to see all those rare Thai chilies! There must be some gems in all those Brazilian seeds too. There's so much stuff there I didn't even know existed. Hope they all grow up strong and healthy for you.

Ooh look, there's a Don Juan cross in there. Watch out ladies. Chris you most certainly grow a unique bunch of peppers. Hope they all do well for you and I'm looking forward to following your log.

Back from the dead. I may be quiet this year, but I'm not sleeping. I was urged by MegaMaster71 to show some pictures. I figured it's time. Some interesting ones this year:

P1090362.jpg

P1090361.jpg

DORSET NAGA VIOLA - AISPES :)
P1090357.jpg

P1090356.jpg

Some of my 'army' of pepper plants in plug trays and more:

MISCELLANEOUS PEPPER VARIETIES
P1090367.jpg

THAI VARIETIES (ANNUUMS)
P1090366.jpg

BACCATUM TRAY
P1090365.jpg

SUPER HOTS
P1090363.jpg

Purple Bhut Jolokia sounds interesting. I cant wait to see the pods on that one. Your plants look incredibly healthy as usual.

512 CELL PLUG TRAY - BASIL VARIETIES - NEW WAY TO GROW BASIL. SOMETHING UNIQUE
P1090364.jpg

CHOCOLATE SUPER HOT VARIETIES
P1090359.jpg

MISC PEPPERS
P1090358.jpg

CULANTRO
P1090368.jpg

i got these two from Peppermania in 2010, but didn't grow it until this year:

Aji de la Tierra

Brazillian White

Beth there seems to have stopped selling those two anymore when I look at her 2011 website.

The last one I got from Smokemaster on this forum. I know nothing more about it yet than the name. lol. I believe he got it in a trade this year.

Chris

Vey nice and healthy looking plants Chris. :cool:
Hope your season goes well for you and keep us updated on the Purple Bhut.

Micca

Back