• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

i got these two from Peppermania in 2010, but didn't grow it until this year:

Aji de la Tierra

Brazillian White

Beth there seems to have stopped selling those two anymore when I look at her 2011 website.

The last one I got from Smokemaster on this forum. I know nothing more about it yet than the name. lol. I believe he got it in a trade this year.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Will be following closely...and possibly begging seeds later. ;)

Off to water my plants. Supposed to be high 90s again today. We *almost* got some early bhuts here. Now dropping buds like mad due to heat. Bummer. :(

Ahhh pepper plant pictures from Chris--all is right with the world. I am really looking forward to see what grows from a purple Bhut Jolokia in a yellow cup. Looking great man.

Plants are looking great Chris, after all the whinning in other threads I thought there would be some small plants but your plants really look good. As far as your lighting goes you use what works for your particular situation and the floros seem to be doing an excellent job for you. I look back and some of the best seed trades I ever made were because of your pepper prowess. Good luck this year and hope you can get some plants outside sooner than later. :cool:

CHRIS! How ya been man? Things are looking just as I thought they would in this thread. Healthy, gorgeous, lush looking plants of ALL varieties! Can't beat it brother! Purple Bhut? Now that is something I'd love to try! I still have the mother plants from the seeds you sent me back in 2008 or so! I bring them in every winter and take cuts from them to grow in the big garden! You're the man. :P

The hardening off process starts today for the peppers. Weather looks warmer for next 8 days. Gotta do this now while there's some window! :)

Chris

Plants are looking great Chris. Like others, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the "different" varieties you're growing mature. Thanks for the update! :)

Looks like it's all going to schedule Chris...good luck this season
What C. Chinense are you growing, anything interesting????
keep your eye out for the mail this week!!!!

Thanks everyone. JR, I can't get the damn plants in the ground because it NEVER stops raining here. :) One of these days. They are certainly ready. It's been so frustrating.

I'm growing lots of C. chinense- lot of different super hot cross types from people, Purple Bhut, a bunch of AISPES stuff, and more. I need to remember all I planted! There's a lot. :) Be sure to look me up end of season.

Pepper Guru, I'm doing OK. Good to hear from you Rich. Are you growing those Gold and Orange Pumpkin Hab strains your friend created this year? It's nice to hear my original seed stock produced long lasting plants for you!

Chris

It's been a busy last few days. Temps warmed up a lot. We had two 90+ deg days here in Michigan. I got 150+ plants in the ground. About 80 more left over to cap off the year. Those won't go in for another 2 weeks most likely as there is some lettuce in one raised bed. It looks too good to throw away. :)

I found my new best friend to label my stuff to. A Brother PT-2430PC PC-Compatible thermal label printer! I love this thing. Picked it up for $39 on sale. I make labels using laminated tape that has a sticky surface that goes on to cut mini blinds. You can design labels using PC software embedded in the label maker. Damn cool. Labels are completely waterproof and never smudge. Complete flexibility. I integrate spreadsheet data with this software to batch print 50+ labels at one time. It even has an auto cutter in the unit! No more wasting my time handwriting in pencil on these blinds.

I read this is big in the UK. Time = money so it's good for me. The label tape isn't that cheap, but you can get a 26' roll for $10 on Ebay. Each label I make about 0.8 - 1.0 inches long so I get 300-400 labels out of a roll. I can handle $10 expense for all my labels for a year.

Chris

Sounds like a keeper Chris. I wouldn't have a problem spending $10 and getting 300-400 labels for sure. How big are they though? I assume you can change the font size? Pretty cool. Thanks for the idea.

Pepper Guru, I'm doing OK. Good to hear from you Rich. Are you growing those Gold and Orange Pumpkin Hab strains your friend created this year? It's nice to hear my original seed stock produced long lasting plants for you!

Chris
Ya know, I probably should. I love those :) I'll have to pull ole seed bank out and see what I can get going. Its good to see you still kickin ass in the chili world. Im subbed :cool:

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final pepper plant count for 2011: 257. Whew, what a job. Finished getting them in the ground today. 256 in-ground, 1 in a container. lol. A bit different than other years.

Chris

...256 in-ground, 1 in a container.

That was a ton of work Chris, hope they're all doing ok.

But I gotta ask, what is the (un?)lucky plant that rated the pot? ...and why? :lol:

That's a lot of plants! I'm moving to growing in the ground too. I'll only have about 50 in there this year, but all the potting mix from this seasons containers will be incorporated into beds for next season. I may still keep some containers for trying new seeds and for compact types, but my proven varieties will be in the dirt. Can't wait to see the pod photos!

Back