• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Collecting Hot Sauce

Collecting Hot Sauce Poll

• Total voters
Well, there's a market for collectibles. One collectible release will proly make more cash than a year of regular $8.95/ea. sauce.

It's economics and capitalism. Note, it's only happening in America.

"It's economics and capitalism. Note, it's only happening in America."

Not necessarily. On last check, our ZERO collector bottles are currently in Iceland, South Africa, Germany, UK, Scotland, Canada, Guam, Austria, and Ireland.

If I had a disposable income, I'd buy the collectors editions for display, and a normal bottle for consumption.

But, as it stands, I don't.

Omri isn't sarcastic. He's snarky. And you should know better than to disagree with him! He's OMRIPOTENT!

Well, as most of you know, I'm not a professional sauce maker....yet. However, there's this one guy in Mississippi (MSK) who has one bottle of everything I have ever made sitting on his shelf....sans my one off, 5 bottle run of Salamagundy. Needless to say, he really wants a bottle of that to display. This guy is a collector extraordinaire with over 3,000 bottles on display.

It just seems funny, to me, that I put a lot of thought into the sauce and craft it to be eaten and not stared at. Yet, there are people out there who never eat anything hotter than Louisiana Hot Sauce, and display the rest.

DEFCON Creator said:

Not necessarily. On last check, our ZERO collector bottles are currently in Iceland, South Africa, Germany, UK, Scotland, Canada, Guam, Austria, and Ireland.
Well TECHNICALLY Guam is part of the USA.

theyareontome.gif

DEFCON Creator said:

I know that mang.... I meant, the idea/market of making collector bottles of sauce is pretty much an American thing is it not? Blair/Dave started it..and they make out liek bandits becuse of it.

Ironically, it's Consumerism..but not consuming..lol

To each their own, no worries. :)

DEFCON Creator said:
I guess I'm the oddball. Hey, what else is new?
LOL. Nah, there's more collectors here, the poll just took a swing in one direction. You can appreciate them because you create them as well. Creating something from a retail hot sauce bottle that someone is going to treat as art and display is a testament to the sauce itself. See if Frank's can do that.

thehotpepper.com said:
LOL. Nah, there's more collectors here, the poll just took a swing in one direction. You can appreciate them because you create them as well. Creating something from a retail hot sauce bottle that someone is going to treat as art and display is a testament to the sauce itself. See if Frank's can do that.
i can't argue that. If you are creating art from your craft, it shouldn't matter that it's a hot sauce or anything else. Anyone remember the pop artist who displayed canned poop as his art? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I eat and keep...It's not like I am gonna eat 2 am on a taco for fun...there are some sauces I try once then buy again for collection purposes...On this date I have 306 bottles in the cabinet and 44 in the fridge...I have only my 10 finest on display.

I have a weird thing about not having too many open bottles in my fridge @ one time. So, I'll have like 2 or 3 open bottles & then if I'm out shopping & see another bottle I'd like to try I'll buy it & then open it when I run out of one of my open bottles. That's just how I roll :).

I have received some signed gift bottles that I cherish because it was given to me by people I admire, but I would not ever by a collector bottle if it wasn't for a worthy cause. Hot Sauce is meant to consumed and I have a lot of bottles in the cupboard that are in a straight line to my taste buds. :)

ImpyChick said:
I have a weird thing about not having too many open bottles in my fridge @ one time. So, I'll have like 2 or 3 open bottles & then if I'm out shopping & see another bottle I'd like to try I'll buy it & then open it when I run out of one of my open bottles. That's just how I roll :).

I'm totally the opposite, I've got to open it as soon as I get it regardless of how many are already open in the fridge.

Seeing as most 'high end' sauces have no preservatives etc, do these expensive 'collecter' sauces spoil after a few months on the shelf? Or can you crack one open that's been displayed for a couple years ?

RingburnDave said:
Seeing as most 'high end' sauces have no preservatives etc, do these expensive 'collecter' sauces spoil after a few months on the shelf? Or can you crack one open that's been displayed for a couple years ?

Depends what's in them. If it's extracts, they'll probably last until the next ice age.

thehotpepper.com said:

You have a point. I kinda take the ZERO personally. We put a LOT of time into the creation of the stuff as well as the special bottles. With roughly 6 months of work that has to go into it, not to mention amazing amounts of scorching pain, it does make me feel good seeing the vessels on various people's "Shelves of Doom".

thehotpepper.com said:
Here's a little poll for you...

I know there are those on this board who think collecting hot sauces is nuts. To each his own.

I enjoy collecting hot sauces. I bought a couple of collector's editions.....just to crown my collection....and likely won't part with them. To me, it's just for fun.

What I do is buy two of any hot sauce I come across that I don't have.....that way I can use one of them. From my wife's perspective, she figures I could have a much, much worse hobby.

I guess that means I have 2 hobbies....collecting and consuming hot sauces. Lately, though, I've admittedly acquired less new sauces.....now that I grow my own, I enjoy making my own sauce. But when I travel, I collect what I find.

Sorry for the ramble.

DEFCON Creator said:

Not necessarily. On last check, our ZERO collector bottles are currently in South Africa, .

Where can I get some, mate? I would love to try one and collect a second! :lol:

Back