• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Commercial Blender

Howdy gang. Was wondering about blenders. No complaints with a blender like vitamix. But what are hot sauce makers using to blend sauces in large quantities? Thanks for your advice.

I blend the raw ingredients to the desired consistency. Then cook.

One sauce has some fine ground ginger and mandarins. Also some small bits of carrots that are visible in the sauce. I can pulse each ingredient to the desired consistency.

Other sauces the chiles are fully blended until completely smooth with no visible seed bits.

When everything is all in one pot, you can't customize it. If that works for the sauce, immersion blenders are a great cost effective option.

I've used the blendtec blender for batches up to 10 gallons and it doesn't take that long. Again, I am only blendering the ingredients with just enough liquids to keep it moving. Then add the bulk of liquids to the pot and simmer away!

I've not had success using food processors, ninja or immersion blenders with raw ingredients to get a really smooth product.

Cooked sauces run thru the FP, immersion or blender will get things pretty smooth. As stated, it is a pita to run hot product through a blender. Flaming volcanos for sure. Been there, made that mistake!

It all depends on what the final product needs to be.

When looking at larger batches, processors might have to look at other things. Maybe a commercial food mill, or grinder.

Thanks, makes sense to blend cold then no issues with exploding lava out of blenders.  So, a decent blender to start blending raw then cook, and if wanted, use a immersion blender to 'finish off to required consistence/smoothness' seems good practice.

I've been hot blending my test batches and yes, it is a worry for obvious reasons.  A two blender set up is now my new way of thinking.  Hey, more toys in the kitchen is a good thing!

salsalady said:
I blend the raw ingredients to the desired consistency. Then cook.

One sauce has some fine ground ginger and mandarins. Also some small bits of carrots that are visible in the sauce. I can pulse each ingredient to the desired consistency.

Other sauces the chiles are fully blended until completely smooth with no visible seed bits.

When everything is all in one pot, you can't customize it. If that works for the sauce, immersion blenders are a great cost effective option.

I've used the blendtec blender for batches up to 10 gallons and it doesn't take that long. Again, I am only blendering the ingredients with just enough liquids to keep it moving. Then add the bulk of liquids to the pot and simmer away!

I've not had success using food processors, ninja or immersion blenders with raw ingredients to get a really smooth product.

Cooked sauces run thru the FP, immersion or blender will get things pretty smooth. As stated, it is a pita to run hot product through a blender. Flaming volcanos for sure. Been there, made that mistake!

It all depends on what the final product needs to be.

When looking at larger batches, processors might have to look at other things. Maybe a commercial food mill, or grinder.

The Hot Pepper said:
You said blendering lolllll
Yep. Usually it is " blendering the snot" out of something.

And you guys were heading way out to left field!

(Let's not scare off Texas Holdem... :lol: )

Yes, Tex~ it's a different thinking. Works for some things, maybe not for others.

Thinking way down the road, chiles can be bought in season, ground up to the consistency needed for the sauce, then frozen or preserved in batch sizes for use as needed.

Yea, but it is not nearly as fun...

Besides.... "blendering" is more efficient.

You can
blend with a martini shaker,
blend with a spoon,
blend with a hwhisk,
blend with a blender,
blend with a 'boat motor' ( aka immersion stick blender) ....

Or just blender the snot out of it....

:rofl: :D

It's a deliberate wording on my part, knowing blendering sort of isn't a real word. But Merriam-Webster adds new words every year. Some good, some...huh?....

Hmm... thinking about the analogy, you dont put prime on the wall. Primer goes on the wall. Prime the pump, primer the wall. Prime is the process, primer the product.

Ummm... ok...that didn't turn out as expected....

OK!!! I got this!!!
When paint is applied it is called PAINTING
When primer is applied it is called PRIMERING!!!

BOOM! drops mic...struts off stage....

:lol:

What is a beererer? You can only put a 're' and an 'ing' on a real word.
:lol:

Except for blendering...which I am campaigning to make a real word.

Okay....OK...

Hitting something with a hammer is called hammering
Making a hole with a drill is called drilling
Mixing stuff with a blender is called.... Blendering!!!

Takes a fair bit to scare me off

Great info. Obtaining chilli is no problem for me. I have the opposite problem. Cant pick and procss them fast enough. Pod count since November 1st is over 3500 pods and escalating fast as the summer is here now

salsalady said:
(Let's not scare off Texas Holdem... :lol: )

Yes, Tex~ it's a different thinking. Works for some things, maybe not for others.

Thinking way down the road, chiles can be bought in season, ground up to the consistency needed for the sauce, then frozen or preserved in batch sizes for use as needed.

Texas Holdems Chilli said:
Takes a fair bit to scare me off
Good to know! We are not as crazy as we sound. Well, at least not me....

:Lol:

Lots of fun shenanigans around here.

Anyway, back on topic...Sort of...

Having too many peppers is a good problem to have.

Back