Considering a Traeger Renegade Elite or Eastwood

The GM one can run off a car batt, too, helping maintain it's portability ... and tail-gating friendliness ...
queequeg152 said:
i always wondered why they didnt put infared shit on some of these pellet grills... what with then needing an outlet in the first place?
maby infared cookers are shit though, idk.
radiant heat is great for grilling, not smoking ...

those TRU products are excellent for emulating say, a tandoor ...

TRU infrared .. can't recall the company ... gas and electric options ...

I like the idea and could prob be sold on one to be honest. Just don't smoke a lot and want a grill more. Grill now, pizza attachment later, or something like that.

oldsalty said:
haha not sure but will put together my full upgrade list for ya :)   Mine work amazing. Killer rotisserie  pid control, upgraded hopper igniter Baby's been JACKED  :hell:
ah dont go out of your way. im sure i could find a buncha threads on those smoker forums.

grantmichaels said:
The GM one can run off a car batt, too, helping maintain it's portability ... and tail-gating friendliness ...

radiant heat is great for grilling, not smoking ...

those TRU products are excellent for emulating say, a tandoor ...

TRU infrared .. can't recall the company ... gas and electric options ...
i always though these were better at indirect grilling than they were at smoking? i think they burn too cleanly at lowish temps or something like that...

ive seen lots of mods where people have to add smoke to the grill to get the ultra pink ring on pork etc.

might be good info here ...

http://www.charbroil.com/community/tru-infrared/
i can't watch because Danielle has the sound-space right now ...

i've had food from the electric version, as a friend has one of those, as well as their gas-powered turkey version (think air fryer) ...

they make delicious poultry, the closest i've seen to a tandoor ...

The Hot Pepper said:
I like the idea and could prob be sold on one to be honest. Just don't smoke a lot and want a grill more. Grill now, pizza attachment later, or something like that.

they make a lot of sense for home-scale use ...

i mean, kettle first, but a pellet-grill would be a great second device, and i'd trade in my Akorn for one ...

queequeg152 said:
ive seen lots of mods where people have to add smoke to the grill to get the ultra pink ring on pork etc.

doesn't even come from the smoke, anyways ...

Google Dr. Blonder and read up on the actual science ...

the potential for the fuchsia is in the meat ... you can spoof it with pink salt ... you can get it inside your home oven by creating certain conditions ...

it's pretty interesting science ...

there's videos out there of Meathead Goldwynn doing indoor and outdoor BBQ with the bro's at ChefSteps, too ...

the even more interesting take-away from all of that, was learning why my first two cooks had better smoke rings that ALL OF THE COOKS THEREAFTER ...

because charcoal has more smoke-ring potential than fruit wood!

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

anyone who follows my 1k page thread know i've wondered why my 1st two attempts were the best looking Q I ever made, and that i considered going back to using the Smokenator mod in the Weber to try to recreate it ...

turns out it's the use of charcoal and not lump + fruit wood ...

in the near future, i'm going to do a cook where i try to max it out ...

i'm going to see if i can't get some curing salt into the meat using the chamber vac, and use charcoal, for a slab smoked-from-frozen to keep the temp lower/longer ...

i'm expecting to make the sickest pink ring evar ... just for kicks.

yea i know all about the carbon monoxide shit someone posted that way way back, or maby i found it myself way way back.
what im saying is that the pellets dont produce enough of it. there is a reason why they use pellets to heat homes etc.

dunno about that - i'll defer to OS who has both a big rig, and a pellet smoker ...

i think a lot of people feel the taste of their Q from pellet smokers is some of the best Q they get to eat ...

i thought the deal with them was that they aren't allowed in BBQ comp ...

I see OS's around today! :party:

OS -

How would you characterize the end-result from using a pellet-grill versus a more traditional smoker? ... from what I understand a lot of off-flavors result from a fire burning under like 400F, and that the best BBQ flavors come from higher burn temps where there's more complete combustion ... correspondingly, I imagine pellets are smoldered at a consistent temperature that probably makes for a narrow band of good tasting smoke, but is perhaps less "smokey" than the result of something cooked in a traditional smoker where there's more inherent fluctuation (especially a small volume cooker) ...

In your experience, is there a minimum size rig where the results of traditional barbecue starts to consistently fall short, because the fire's not very stable, or can't burn hot enough - because that's what I would imagine to be the case ...

Somethings are hard to do accurately because you can't easily work with the smallest increment necessary - like baking too small a batch, and having trouble accurately measuring minute amounts of ingredients, for instance ... a know issue when cheese-making, I know ...

I just can't help think that I pellet-smoker would be the next most-logical addition to my fleet, and since I don't need much sqft of grate space, probably something like that tidy little $350 Green Mountain would work nicely, if I didn't feel like buying the REC TEC (which is closer to $500, I think) ...

I originally had planned to add a PBC this Winter - a smoker renowned for turning out pretty good Q with minimal effort (it Just Works), but I honestly think a pellet grill might offer more value in terms of being able to be left alone, and/or remotely controlled ...

Just curious what you think about all of that, since you have a big rig and a pellet grill ...

Thanks in advance, hombre! :cheers:

Ok here's my take as it goes i love my pit and have cooked thousands of killer Q using the stick burner. Many tech to stick as well. Ive done cooking with my stick burner by preburning logs in my burning barrell and then use the charred coals to produce a nice blue smoke. This method works excellent for keeping your Q from getting overly smoked and creating a bitter flavor. But i've also burned logs seasoned of course right in my smoker box with great results as well. Used this method for many years Both work excellent but require a lot of prep work for your fire. To start i usually use the logs to get the smoke rolling and my temps up then switch to the preburn method.

Now as for pellet smoke haha well when the first came out i thought they were crap and went on the warpath every time someone said they used one. You know thats NOT BBQ. Electricity and pellets HA. But as i ggot older and more damaged i started to rethink that. :)  So i bought a traeger texas. At first i loved it then hated it to many massive temp swings. But after mods and a new pid controller i can dial the thing to a perfect temp every time.

Now the Pellet smoker rules the industry even in comps making many purist very angry sort of like presidential elections haha 

As far as temps go the lower the combustion temp the more smoke you produce but this can lead to a bitter taste were as higher combustion leads to a cleaner blue smoke but much less the ideal temp is that spot just between  the two.

This is were pellet grills now excel. The convection created by the blower works to even the out and keep the smoke rate more balanced and why the blowers work on multi speeds depending on what the grill is trying to do more smoke less blower speed and vice versa. And boos convection exist in all  smokers or they would just die out from lack of oxygen even in grillls without a mech advantage. The chimney creats the airflow across  the grill naturally thats why the chimney is opposite the firebox.  

Also you dont need to use water in a pellet grill because of it's ability to hold closer temps more constantly the enviroment inside the cooker remains a higher moisture zone as the protien gives off moisture during cooking.
Thus the closer temps are much better for the end result especially for smaller cuts like ribs or chicken were larger temps swing can make for soso BBQ. Causing the protien to stiffen up with the higher side swing. Larger cuts do not suffer from this issue due to size there more forgiving but i still find my pellet smoker does produce a better flavor with the larger cuts as well. 

So for me a pellet smoker is a must mine is able to run at very low cold smoke temps and 500 + deg but i never run my smokers above 400 deg for smoke roasting only. If i want sear out comes my webber. Dont like radiant heat no flavor just heat. I used to install those in Home Depots over doorways up north to keep cashiers warm with doors constantly opening and closing but not to COOK ON. Charcoal or wood only otherwise use your oven or stovetop :) haha

Ok rig size it's not the size but how you use it! haha Isn't that what they say?  Well for me my smaller smokers were always a pain in the arse for temp swings they just didn't seem to burn long enough and larger rigs burned a larger amount of fuel. But when i'm doing Q i usually have more than one thing going anyway so a smaller smoker never really gets used. But if space is limited they are your best bet. Or a webber setup as Brother Smoke suggested.
The dual purpose feature is not really why i bought it and my smokers never get used for it any way. So smaller i mean ive made mini smokers out of a webber smoky joe and cooked a pork butt it was good but no where near the quality of my bigger smokers. So yes i would say to small will work but not worth the effort.

I can tell you the Q i produce on my pellet is spot on my pid controller can give me higher or lower amounts of smoke depending on what i require and the type of protien i'm cooking. And as far as smoke quality and amount i have no issues with smoke flavor i get tons of smoke if i want it. And the quality of the smoke is second to none. So sweet and nice flavored. I buy excellent pellets from FireCraft no chem binders great pellets. But i do love my stick burner with some good RI cherry wood :) I know others have had issues with smoke production but this is not the case with mine i get as much smoke as i want depending how i set my controller. 

Thanks for teh detailed response. I'm going to add a pellet-grill next, but I think I'll go ahead and pick the $500 REC TEC which is a little bit larger than the smaller $350 GM grill, to not fall into being in too small a volume and having temp-swing issues. I can always smoke in my Weber with the PartyQ, or in my Akorn for that matter, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the quality of the smoke taste from a pellet grill will be excellent, and I think you're confirming that suspicion. Thanks for sharing ...

Didn't the pellets use to be made of bonded sawdust, and nowadays, they are hardwood pellets muck like a dowel, so one piece of hardwood? Or am I wrong?

grantmichaels said:
Thanks for teh detailed response. I'm going to add a pellet-grill next, but I think I'll go ahead and pick the $500 REC TEC which is a little bit larger than the smaller $350 GM grill, to not fall into being in too small a volume and having temp-swing issues. I can always smoke in my Weber with the PartyQ, or in my Akorn for that matter, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the quality of the smoke taste from a pellet grill will be excellent, and I think you're confirming that suspicion. Thanks for sharing ...
No prob Brother and one of my Brothers just bought the REC TEC and can't stop going on about the Q he's getting he asked me a year ago and the budget he had and this model won hands down have a feww BBQ friends that also own them and say they put there treager to Shame. I think you'll be more than happy the ease of use make's so you will be grilling with it constantly just so easy and really gives you piece of mind should you have to leave or doing an overnight cook just can't be beat.  :)
The Hot Pepper said:
Didn't the pellets use to be made of bonded sawdust, and nowadays, they are hardwood pellets muck like a dowel, so one piece of hardwood? Or am I wrong?
All depends on were you buy them the more exspensive are corked or taken in one piece used by many comp cooks and the others are pressed or bonded all natural. :)

oldsalty said:
No prob Brother and one of my Brothers just bought the REC TEC and can't stop going on about the Q he's getting he asked me a year ago and the budget he had and this model won hands down have a feww BBQ friends that also own them and say they put there treager to Shame. I think you'll be more than happy the ease of use make's so you will be grilling with it constantly just so easy and really gives you piece of mind should you have to leave or doing an overnight cook just can't be beat.   :)

Once I recover from some other recent spending, it's happening ...

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah, I'd go for the one-piece myself.
Cause when it comes to Q  do you go cheap? 
Homeydontplaythat.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Once I recover from some other recent spending, it's happening ...
Man is it weird that i'm totally stoked for that !!!   :)

They got more poo-poo'ed when Traeger owned the patent. When it ran out, and others started making them, and they had competition, more people started to look and respect.

Yep once the market opened up they tech has been getting better and better.  And so many after market items. But the REC TEC has all the upgrades already on board. As always your gonna have yer haters but i'd put my pellet cooked Q against any other and 9 out 10 times i think it's better.  

Back