• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Contest for First Ripe Pepper

So what's the rules now, no lights, no pumps, no nutrients, no fun. What about greenhouses, I guess thats unfair too? What if I have a bigger, brighter windowsill? If we start defining too many rules, then everybody will be growing with exactly the same variables and the contest is pointless.

POTAWIE said:
So what's the rules now, no lights, no pumps, no nutrients, no fun. What about greenhouses, I guess thats unfair too? What if I have a bigger, brighter windowsill? If we start defining too many rules, then everybody will be growing with exactly the same variables and the contest is pointless.

Do you have any constructive suggestions on how to equalize things so that everyone can have fun, and not just the hydro folks? From my perspective, I might as well not bother with competing, and just do things on my regular schedule.

What I was toying with was suggesting that anyone who grows their seedlings in a hydroponic set up for the first 6 weeks is considered hydro. I picked 6 weeks because that's the traditional growing time to get from seed to set out size. Hydroponic growers would compete against other hydroponic growers and dirt growers would compete against other dirt growers.

rainbowberry said:
Is it OK for me to join the competition too please?

Anybody is welcome to join at anytime. Just remember the start date is 12:00.01 GMT January 1, 2008.

If your going to have two categories then you have to define hydroponics so some of us know where we fit in. I can have a high tech irrigation system in a non hydro setting or I can hand water with hydroponic nutrients. Anybody who uses nutrients in their water can sort of be considered hydroponics but where are we going to draw the line?

how about we just use whatever style we are used to and go with that and may the best chilihead win...2 catagories...either you have dirt on your roots or you do not...thats pretty simple...as far as automated or hand watering ,i think it dont matter if you are attentive to the plants needs.
if seed only is required ,I have some jolokia seed i can try to germinate.
i really never thought of soil vs hydro as a competion. as we all are striveing to produce a healthy plant that grows to type selected.
good luck

I think thats fair...Getting too percise with rules..man it sounds like all the fun and experimanting are gone out the window...2 catigories...hydro and dirt...

I'm growing in soil...but I'm gonna dose the crap out of the naga with hydro juice... during the day it will get natural light and then 5 extra hours a day I will hit it with the lights.. I'll play led zep to it and make the wife take it on her walks.. I'll pep talk it and let it stay uplate and drink beer with me.
He may not win but little "moggly" will be a contender.... I think we should just play the game and sort the finer details later... lets face it I might cheat yet anyway lol

From Wickipedia:

"Hydroponics is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions instead of soil. Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite, gravel or Rockwool. A variety of techniques exist."

I would include coir in this.

"The two main types of hydroponics are solution culture and medium culture. Solution culture does not use a solid medium for the roots, just the nutrient solution. The three main types of solution culture are static solution culture, continuous flow solution culture and aeroponics. The medium culture method has a solid medium for the roots and is named for the type of medium, e.g. sand culture, gravel culture or rockwool culture. There are two main variations for each medium, subirrigation and top irrigation. For all techniques, most hydroponic reservoirs are now built of plastic but other materials have been used including concrete, glass, metal, vegetable solids and wood. The containers should exclude light to prevent algae growth in the nutrient solution."

Ok, so, if you're doing the above, you're doing hydro. If you're putting your seed, pre-sprouted or not, into dirt or any of a wide variety of potting soils, you're growing in dirt.

Does that clarify things?

stillmanz said:
I'm growing in soil...
lets face it I might cheat yet anyway lol
LOL :onfire:
dont be tapeing no store bought chilis to your evergreen man.
shh,ya you,come over here,shhh, try this,its a secret and it works...shh,its a secret...
Hygrozyme...

Pam said:
From Wickipedia:

"Hydroponics is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions instead of soil. Terrestrial plants may be grown with their roots in the mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium, such as perlite, gravel or Rockwool. A variety of techniques exist."

I would include coir in this.

"The two main types of hydroponics are solution culture and medium culture. Solution culture does not use a solid medium for the roots, just the nutrient solution. The three main types of solution culture are static solution culture, continuous flow solution culture and aeroponics. The medium culture method has a solid medium for the roots and is named for the type of medium, e.g. sand culture, gravel culture or rockwool culture. There are two main variations for each medium, subirrigation and top irrigation. For all techniques, most hydroponic reservoirs are now built of plastic but other materials have been used including concrete, glass, metal, vegetable solids and wood. The containers should exclude light to prevent algae growth in the nutrient solution."

Ok, so, if you're doing the above, you're doing hydro. If you're putting your seed, pre-sprouted or not, into dirt or any of a wide variety of potting soils, you're growing in dirt.

Does that clarify things?
well done Pam,
good description...let the Flames begin...

pablo

pablo said:
LOL :onfire:
dont be tapeing no store bought chilis to your evergreen man.

DAMN IT!!! my plan has been revealed!!!

Looks like i'll have to grow it the old fashioned way then :(

Pam, i like the 2 broad categories... in soil or not

DevilDuck said:
Well then..... sign me up for the soil category!!!

Lol I dont even know what catagory ill be in yet I havnt seen my buddies setup yet...My room isnt up yet and as backup if for some unknown reason its not up in time I have a local orchard I deal with starting my seads for this year....Once I see the setup ill let you know but im shure its dirt

I did some calculating today and from January 1st, I'm almost betting I can get a ripe pod in about 10 weeks. Not the little tiny ones, but a full grown pod ready to rip your face off.

Let the smack talking begin!!!!

(We might need a new thread for this)

DevilDuck said:
I did some calculating today and from January 1st, I'm almost betting I can get a ripe pod in about 10 weeks. Not the little tiny ones, but a full grown pod ready to rip your face off.

DevilDuck,
ya say 10 weeks and you be showing red ripe pods eh.
Jolokia/Naga/Assam chili ? in 10 weeks from seed...
you got a time machine ...lol
100+ days for red ripe pods...but
this could be possible...{first}a clone will generally be about 10-14 days faster than the seed plant it came from.
second ,if selected a really early Naga/Jolokia this to could cut some time off harvest.
this would be a really important thing with a pure long season variety.
looking forward to a mid march harvest DevilDuck
:onfire:

:onfire:
i put down several of my older Jolokia seeds in a Soil Planter filled with...lol Dirt...garden dirt to be exact...no store bought stuff here,.maybe i can germinate a few plants from this to challenge DevilDuck and the other dirt farmers...to be honest ,i dont think i could find a better jolokia plant than the one i have but it be nice to find another almost as nice.

pablo

DevilDuck said:

10 weeks, I doubt you'll even have a green pod but good luck. I'm guessing the first ripe pod will occur sometime in May.

Back