• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Counting calories

Omri said:
1st of all I drink at least 20 cups of water a day, and that's just the water!
2nd I don't think drinking too much soda is a smart move. like AT ALL.

Well, myth or otherwise, my habit of drinking 2 glasses of water before each meal and constantly any other time comes from the military and how they try to keep you hydrated. I mean, SOMETHINGS gotta counteract all the freakin booze i push through my system.

And i see people walking into the gyms here with super big gulps all the time....and i cant figure out how they can be so stupid.

Sickmont said:
Well, myth or otherwise, my habit of drinking 2 glasses of water before each meal and constantly any other time comes from the military and how they try to keep you hydrated. I mean, SOMETHINGS gotta counteract all the freakin booze i push through my system
Talking about military... the regulations here are 1 liter of water per hour when outside. can't see how anyone would do this even after service. or even while in service. :lol:

Omri said:
Talking about military... the regulations here are 1 liter of water per hour when in the field. can't see how anyone would do this even after service. or even while in service. :lol:

Afterwards, not sure unless you're extremely active.
However, combat actions tend to be very dehydrating....especially if they happen to be prolonged. So while you're in the military if you happen to be on the front lines constantly, then it makes sense.

Sickmont said:
Afterwards, not sure unless you're extremely active.
However, combat actions tend to be very dehydrating....especially if they happen to be prolonged.
1 LITER! that's a lot of water! if you're in the middle of a battlefield, carrying 50 kilos of equipment, running and in the middle of a random desert, sure... but normal activity? 1 liter? that means walking with ya zipper open.

Omri said:
1 LITER! that's a lot of water! if you're in the middle of a battlefield, carrying 50 kilos of equipment, running and in the middle of a random desert, sure... but normal activity? 1 liter? that means walking with ya zipper open.

Oh, i know. And that much water is really bad for you too. It screws up your fluid levels in your brain and makes you ill.

Sickmont said:
Oh, i know. And that much water is really bad for you too. It screws up your fluid levels in your brain and makes you ill.
There's way of drinking it too, so you won't "dilute" your blood. just like after a fast.

To get back on track...

I'd be more concerned about the saturated fat in cheese than the calorie, though you can be certain there are a lot. Any food high in fat has lots of calories.

Would you consider stuffing your peppers with something a little better for you?

klyth said:
To get back on track...

I'd be more concerned about the saturated fat in cheese than the calorie, though you can be certain there are a lot. Any food high in fat has lots of calories.

Would you consider stuffing your peppers with something a little better for you?

Well, I really like the cheese & use reduced fat cream & shredded cheeses. And I wrap them in turkey bacon instead of the real stuff.

Don't get me wrong, counting calories is just one thing I do to keep fit. I've found that I have a problem w/ portion control, & counting calories is a way to counteract that. And I go to the gym almost every night, & I do drink a lot of water throughout the day.

IMO, my diet isn't bad..I almost never eat out (at restaurants), and the influx of garlic, chillis, and grains keep me on a pretty hihg metabolism for a 42-yr old. I shoudl be more active, ya.

Chiles help build a high metabolism, which is what you need to not get fat, no matter what you eat.

I eat a lot, and still weigh within 10lbs of my skinny HS weight.

I eat lots of small meals, nto large ones. The body digest at a certain rate..why flood it?

I do drink lots of fluids too..besides booze. ;p

Prolly 1/2 gallon easy of just water a day.

The human bosy is approx. 80% water...ya can live without food, but not without water.

Diets don't work. period.

It has to be a lifestlye that fits your natural system.

ImpyChick said:
Well, I really like the cheese & use reduced fat cream & shredded cheeses. And I wrap them in turkey bacon instead of the real stuff.

Don't get me wrong, counting calories is just one thing I do to keep fit. I've found that I have a problem w/ portion control, & counting calories is a way to counteract that. And I go to the gym almost every night, & I do drink a lot of water throughout the day.

Accountability is everything. In the US I think we have a huge problem with portion control. I've found that if I eat small meals all day, I never get THAT hungry. In fact, I eat before I get hungry (if I can help it). That way, I don't eat much.

That's really key, though. Eat smaller meals. Wait 20-30 minutes. If you're still hungry, have a bit more...

klyth said:
Accountability is everything. In the US I think we have a huge problem with portion control. I've found that if I eat small meals all day, I never get THAT hungry. In fact, I eat before I get hungry (if I can help it). That way, I don't eat much.

That's really key, though. Eat smaller meals. Wait 20-30 minutes. If you're still hungry, have a bit more...

As stupid as it sounds, get smaller plates as well. It works great for portion control. Seriously, if i have a trough to fill with food, i'll fill it.

wehn you get down to it, weight control is very simple in theory at least...if you take in less calories than you burn, you will lose weight, and just the opposite for gaining weight...putting that theory into practice is the hard part...

I was at 206 in January....working in the garage with the seeds/seedlings and I didn't eat as much, then plant out came and I was even bussier and ate less and stopped going out to lunch from work...I dropped 26 pounds...plantout came and I got lazy after a while and now I am back to 195....my weight normally fluctuates during the year from 185-200 depending on what season it is...I let my activity control my weight...

Sickmont said:
As stupid as it sounds, get smaller plates as well. It works great for portion control. Seriously, if i have a trough to fill with food, i'll fill it.

This works pretty well, actually.

Back