craft beer

Hillbilly Chili said:
You mean like beer, other than Bud?? Never heard of it. What the heck you gonna do when you go to a booby bar??
"pardon me, might I have Queens ale ohe and if possible garnish it with a dollop of Grey Poupon'"
To heck with that man, I like Budweiser, cheep yella mustard and big boobies!! whooohooo
Oh and #1
Did I say that out loud?:lol:

haha. the only thing bud is good for is mowing the yard, and even then high life is better.

at a 'booby bar' order some kind of scotch.

you live in colorado, and you limit yourself to bud, thats awesome. :fire:

chuk hell said:
Ross,

I have the St. Arnold's Reserve #2 and it's mighty fine. It's kind of a cross between a Belgian style and something more American like DFH 90 minute. I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm jealous about the Worldwide Stout as I can't get it in Texas.

I just tried DFH's pumpkin flavored beer "Punkin" Ale and I like it quite a bit. It's the first pumpkin-flavored beer that I like ( I've had Buffalo Bills ans Shipyard's). It's good because the pumpkin flavor is very understated.

I too went through a huge Belgian phase a few years ago ( Delirium Tremens, Quak, Triple Karmelit, Leffe and others) but I haven't tried St. Bernardus Abt or rochefort although they are on my list.

Yes. It's American "Big" beers that turn me on these days. Usually ones with "Imperial" in the title. I think Avery's CZAR is a real good Imperial Stout ( although 2004 batch was better at 13.5 abv...it's now like 11.5) as is Great Divide's Yeti and yes I dig the Hercules as well. Man, Colorado is like craft beer heaven. I picked up some of Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter when I was in Denver last summer but it's another one I can't get in Texas which pisses me off to no end. Not only is it dedicated to the memory of Hunter Thompson, it's a really awesome beer. Although malty as hell the hop aroma reminds me of the aspen smell of the Rocky Mountains which is where I was when I first sampled it.

Cheers!

awesome, cant wait to sample the #2.

yeah, imperial stouts are my favorite beer, period. but since my intention was to suggest beers that go great with hot stuff, didnt wanna bring them into the picture, but since you offered first! - theres nothin better than a dark ass beer like that. avery czar is really good stuff. i did have a bottle a few years ago when the ABV was alot higher, but theres a point where too much ABV is pretty bad - see avery the beast 2004 (18.x%). that was a drain pour, even though i paid what, 12 dollars for a bomber of it? ridiculous!

world wide stout, though it is 18.x% usually, is no where near as harsh as the beast. did you try avery's mephistopheles (sp?) stout? it was 15.1%, and it was killer. if you can do it right, then that is what counts. for me, once a beer is harsher than a glass of cragganmore, im not enjoying it.

also, it seems to be the newest pissing contest to make beers incredibly bitter (i love bitter beers, but some are pathetic). i dont like this trend, but there is really nothing i can do about it, other than not buy it.

have you sampled anything from michigan? i know you can buy bells beers in kansas , but thats quite a ways away from texas, correct? because in kansas you have to go right near missouri to buy them.

speaking of imperials and kansas, have you gone to free state brewing? they supposedly make a wicked imperial stout, called oud macks (i think?). its draft only, and sold out there only. so, ive never tried it.

you may or may not know, but just recently NC lifted its abv cap. we used to be at 6%, and now its been lifted to 15%. we have some nice breweries that are starting to produce some pretty good dark strong beers. the duck rabbit comes to mind, they make an awesome imperial stout and an imperial porter.

i could talk about beer for hours, sorry if i seem rambling in my posts on it :fire:

also, this board has the best emoticons ive ever seen.

SBLANE said:
Heineken... Nothing super fancy just enjoy the taste, remember I wear a helmet.

ive been known to drink alot of this and wake up in odd places. havent had it in a while, but its about my pale lager of choice if i cant find something else.

I agree about the Beast although I didn't pour it out. :fire:

I missed Mephisto but I have had Avery's Samaeul...I guess the 3rd in their "demon" series. It's a bit too sweet for my tastes but is OK in a port wine desert sort of way....but at 7 bucks a bottle I doubt I'll revisit it.

What I will pay 7 or 8 bucks a bottle for is DFH's 120 minute IPA which is a whopping 20% ABV yet the dry hops overcomes the potentially cloying sweetness. Nice stuff for special times.

Super bitter beers? Do you mean like Arogant Bastard...super hoppy? I don't care for AG but I tell you that DFH 60 minute is a great drinking beer. I guess it's all in the execution.

Haven't had any Michigan beers that I'm aware of and never make it to Kansas.That's quite a hike from here in Austin but if I ever find myself in Lawrence I'll check Out Free State. We have some decent brewpubs here that have produced some pretty good local brews but none I can recall right now. You know, the usual wood-aged barley wines and variations on Belgian clones and lambics. I had an un-flavored lambic once and found it very sour and almost undrinkable, the brewer was a little hit or miss though.

I have a friend who is a sometime homebrewer but he hasn't been active in a while. too bad. I enjoyed being his taster!

I also have a second fridge "beer vault" out in my studio so I age a few brews like DFH 120, 90, North Coast's OLD STOCK ( got a couple 2002s!) and Bigfoot Barleywines. I also have a DFH Imort Ale I picked up in Colorado and a couple of those precious Gonzo Imperial Porters left.

BTW, have you tried DFH's Midas Touch? It's amazingly complex, made with muscat grapes and saffron. Damn amazing beer. Almost like a really good chardonay.

ive yet to try the avery samaels but i hear that it is really sweet. i have a bottle here but ive yet to drink it. tomorrow ill take some pictures of my "collection" and post it for you.

ive had midas touch, but i am not that big of a fan of it, it was a little too sweet, and you do mention the chardonay aspect of it - i do not like white wine much at all, only red for me,

the super bitter beer comment was geared towards these brewers making 1 hop variety beers and just pouring them into them and it comes out smelling and tasting like a bitter ass grapefruit. dont know if you have ever had weyerbacher double simcoe, but it was so bitter it was just ungodly. i love me some bitter beers, pour me up a double IPA and ill go to town! but i have my limits, and when you substitue flavor for adding another 12 pounds of hops, youve lost me there.

arrogant bastard isnt all that bitter at all, its rather tame compared to some of the double IPAs i have consumed recently. double bastard is pretty brutal though, haha.

did you ever drink any 120 min back when they had it in the corked bottles? i hear that was some really good stuff back then. ive drank the 120 before, and if given the choice between that and the WWS, the stout will win every time. though i have never kept a bottle of 120 for more than about 6 months, ive been tempted to grab one whenever i go to virginia and just throw it in my cooler for about 10 years and see what happens. i felt the beer was a little too sweet for my personal tastes.

lambics, ah yes, spontaneous fermination - its a wonderful thing, but they are certainly ales that you have to get accustomed to, given the biting sour flavor that they produce. who brewed the unblended lambic you speak of? most brewers of unblended lambics know what they are doing (if they are from belgium). this (lambic) has started to become one of my more appreciatied styles, but nothing can top my love of the dark beer. on a positive note, lambics will age longer than just about every beer.

austin huh, i have heard there are some nice local pubs out there. i would love to see more beer getting shipped out of texas other than shiner.

no michigan beers? man, you dont know what youre missing. they arent distributed much outside of michigan, some over into ohio and illinois, but thats about it. i have several friends that ship me beer from michigan when im running low. bells brewery is fantastic, so is jolly pumpkin (they make french style biere de gardes (which also are phenomenal with hot food!!)) and founders brewery which just makes some very nice stouts. if you ever get a chance to get a hold of anything from bells make sure you give it a while. Expedition stout is the best beer they make, but all of their beers are good. Hell, even their lager is very nice, but it doesnt get the high marks that the stout and their more complex ales recieve.

going to bed, checking the post in the morning

nice talking with all of you guys today,

cheers

ross:onfire:

Cap said:
very nice! yeah craft beer does come with a bit of a price tag. try some ommegang hennepin instead. its about 7.99 a 4 pack (i think) and its a belgian golden (saison) but not a strong ale like duvel. its better on the wallet, and i actually like it more. just couldnt think of any other golden beer examples at the time.

actually, i believe duvel brewed by moorgat owns ommegang (located in cooperstown). or vise versa.

i know you can buy hennepin on the coast.

how far are you from kill devil hills? i know nothing about the coast of NC. if you arent far, see if you could make a trip here: http://www.chipswinemarket.com/

i hear that guy that runs it knows his beer as well as has a very nice stock. cheers!

chuk hell said:
What I will pay 7 or 8 bucks a bottle for is DFH's 120 minute IPA which is a whopping 20% ABV yet the dry hops overcomes the potentially cloying sweetness. Nice stuff for special times.

It's been in my experience that anything over 12 or so percent is usually terrible tasting stuff.
I'll have to give that stuff a try if i can find it.

ross said:
if you like tremens (belgian strong ale) try out a rochefort 8. its a bit more expensive (roughly 4.99 an 11.2 oz bottle) but its very nice. or, (since you mention st b.) try the prior 8, its really nice as well, and at about 8 dollars for a 750ml its a good buy.

Hey Ross, i've tried that and the Rochefort 10...Exceptional beers, indeed!

And as for pricey, well, i'll pony up for some decent stuff anytime, just not at my shop. At my custom shop, we usually keep just Miller Low Life or Natural Light(piss water) 12 packs around to use while working on cars because we found out that drinking the good, stronger stuff and using serious metal working tools is a bad, bad combination. Real good way to start losing appendages and digits big time!

Sickmont said:
two words....."Delirium Tremens"

If you dig Belgian beer....you gotta try this stuff!

Oh, yeah, i forgot one: "St. Bernardus Abt 12"

This stuff's even better than the Delirium!

Golden Monkey is also very good..!!! i'm hooked to this one...expensive though..

I like beer. I just do. While I prefer microbrews, during the week I drink Mich Ultra (I have to keep my weight down, and it's either Ultra or no beer....sometimes you have to make sacrifices)

When I travel, I always ask for the local micro, and most towns have one. Even here in E. TN, we have a local brewery in Jonesborough that makes a Scottish Ale. Good stuff.

My point? I like beer.

BTW, if you're ever in Aruba, Balashi is about the best Pilsner you'll ever have.

staffing said:
I like beer. I just do. While I prefer microbrews, during the week I drink Mich Ultra (I have to keep my weight down, and it's either Ultra or no beer....sometimes you have to make sacrifices)

When I travel, I always ask for the local micro, and most towns have one. Even here in E. TN, we have a local brewery in Jonesborough that makes a Scottish Ale. Good stuff.

My point? I like beer.

BTW, if you're ever in Aruba, Balashi is about the best Pilsner you'll ever have.

you can buy stone beer in tenn in the liquor stores.

my friend lives in nashville, and he has sent me some local micros from there, not half bad stuff i must say.

Sickmont said:
It's been in my experience that anything over 12 or so percent is usually terrible tasting stuff.
I'll have to give that stuff a try if i can find it.

my thoughts as well. there are some exceptions to the rule though.

generally though, 12-13% is all ill go for, unless ive heard good things about it

marcosauces said:
Golden Monkey is also very good..!!! i'm hooked to this one...expensive though..

golden monkey is 10 dollars a 6 pack down here. good stuff and widely avaliable!:fire:

Being in Oklahoma, our selection is a bit limited. One of my favorite breweries is the New Belgium Brewery, out of Fort Collins, Colorado. They make about 6 different brews with a coulple of seasonal brews as well. I guess their "Fat Tire" label is my favorite, but their 1554 is excellent as well. Problem is it can't be sold in Oklahoma. I always bring some back when I travel out of state.

Interesting reading on this thread. I do enjoy trying different beers. Budwiser is like drinking ice water.

mikeyinokc said:
That is a good one. I also like Newcastle Nut Brown Ale.

newcastle is a great gateway beer into much better beer. im not so much of a fan. had too much of it one night, and well, you know..

Back