• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CUT LIST 2016

I've saved the seeds to these but it's time to move on this year. I'm cutting these from my grow list for a while I'm sure.

White Devil's Tongue-Not very hot and the taste is just OK
Chocolate Lava-Hot but not much flavor going on.
Brown Moruga-Tastes OK but it ROCKS my stomach.
Mustard Bhut-Kind of grassy/earthy for my liking. Maybe some other year. They look pretty bad ass!
Red Brainstrain-Too floral for me.
Red Moruga-Too floral for me.
White Bullet Habanero-I like them but just too many to pick off the plant.

Giant White Habanero-Nothing Special
Carolina Cayenne-Nothing Special (I do love Large Thick Cayenne though)
Farmers Jalapeno-Not enough heat
Aji Panca-It doesn't have the flavor that I was hoping for

Yellow Moruga - didn't care for the taste
Red Moruga - gave me bad cap cramps
Red Brainstrain - went mushy and tasted nasty if they weren't picked right away
Manzano/Rocoto - I only ever get 2 or 3 ripe pods per plant before the first frost comes.

Geonerd said:
I might grow one or two "Devil's Nostril" type exotics, just for the novelty appearance.

I heard some crazy down in Miami is working on something called "Devil's Balls," but hasn't released anything just yet...
wrinklenuts said:
I've saved the seeds to these but it's time to move on this year. I'm cutting these from my grow list for a while I'm sure.

White Devil's Tongue-Not very hot and the taste is just OK
Chocolate Lava-Hot but not much flavor going on.
Brown Moruga-Tastes OK but it ROCKS my stomach.
Mustard Bhut-Kind of grassy/earthy for my liking. Maybe some other year. They look pretty bad ass!
Red Brainstrain-Too floral for me.
Red Moruga-Too floral for me.
White Bullet Habanero-I like them but just too many to pick off the plant.

Wow. I could never cut Brainstrains or Morugas from my grow.
PepperHawk said:
Giant White Habanero-Nothing Special
Carolina Cayenne-Nothing Special (I do love Large Thick Cayenne though)
Farmers Jalapeno-Not enough heat
Aji Panca-It doesn't have the flavor that I was hoping for

Wow. Giant White Hab is one of my favorite pods for intense heat (don't let the name fool you, it's not a hab) with a clean flavor. And Aji Panca is one of my go-to seasoning peppers.
Just goes to show how totally subjective this whole thing is, hmm?

jcw10tc said:
I had about 150 varieties last year, only about 10 earned spots again.  Not that I didn't like a lot of those, just so many other new ones to try.  But I am not very likely to grow any red naga variations or red bhuts.  Just don't like the flavor of them.  Also 2 of my biggest disappointments last year that I though I would love were Yellow Primo and Yellow Butch T.  Just seemed too bland and lacking in heat, so no regrows of those.

I have to grow nagas and bhuts because there's still a pronounced demand for them at the plant shows and whatnot. Can't tell you how many times a couple of UM fratbros have asked, "wait, wait...do you have, like...ghost peppers? Dude, that's the hottest pepper in the world, bro. We should totally grow some."

But would I grow them for myself? Maybe a few plants. Nothing crazy.

cycadjungle said:
No Aji peach sugarush, not sweet tasting bland taste
BBM its hot but bitter tasting
7 pot bubblegum no special taste
7 pot SR
Duffy's version of chocolate brain strain (I have Cappy's now)
Tom

As BBM goes, Nigel and I have talked about the distinct bitterness a lot of the brown supers seem to have. As pigments often have associated flavors, I'm wondering what might be at work there.

I'm with you on the BBG7s, although there's still a demand for them commercially, so I'll still be growing a few, particularly now that I've grown out enough of the BBG7 chocolate to get it dialed in.

7 Pots in general, I'm paring back on.

What's wrong with Duffy's version? I haven't grown it, just Cappy's.

cakl said:
Jalapeno Early-without heat and taste wasnt good enough
From pepperseeds.eu?
I had the same experience with them. Very cold resistant and fast growing plant though, but not worth the trouble.

Wicked Mike said:

I have to grow nagas and bhuts because there's still a pronounced demand for them at the plant shows and whatnot. Can't tell you how many times a couple of UM fratbros have asked, "wait, wait...do you have, like...ghost peppers? Dude, that's the hottest pepper in the world, bro. We should totally grow some."

I agree with that.  Still in high demand.  A lot of people new to the pepper world still think the ghost is the big thing and hottest there is.   The main reason I would grow them also would be for the seeds or for others demands.   I just personally don't like them.  Something about the taste doesn't go over well with me.  Now your peach bhut is totally different, hoping I can get 3 good plants of those this year, just an amazing pepper, so different in every way to the standard red bhut.

fertilizer said:
From pepperseeds.eu?
I had the same experience with them. Very cold resistant and fast growing plant though, but not worth the trouble.
I bought seeds from our Czech e-shop seminka-chilli.cz, I want to try some other kind of Jalapeno with more heat, they offer for example Jalapeno Numex Pinata,it should be around 45 000 SHU, but Jalapeno Early not anymore

Wicked Mike said:

As BBM goes, Nigel and I have talked about the distinct bitterness a lot of the brown supers seem to have. As pigments often have associated flavors, I'm wondering what might be at work there.

I'm with you on the BBG7s, although there's still a demand for them commercially, so I'll still be growing a few, particularly now that I've grown out enough of the BBG7 chocolate to get it dialed in.

7 Pots in general, I'm paring back on.

What's wrong with Duffy's version? I haven't grown it, just Cappy's.

I think ghost's have a really nice flavor so I'll continue to grow them. Naga's have a different flavor to them and to me they burn more than the ghosts. I like the ghost's better.  I'm growing less 7 pots now too. They seem to be too floral for me. I am going to grow a 7 pot burgundy and a Jonah next year only because I've never grown them before. I've heard the 7 pot burgundy is less floral.  

wrinklenuts said:

I think ghost's have a really nice flavor so I'll continue to grow them. Naga's have a different flavor to them and to me they burn more than the ghosts. I like the ghost's better.  I'm growing less 7 pots now too. They seem to be too floral for me. I am going to grow a 7 pot burgundy and a Jonah next year only because I've never grown them before. I've heard the 7 pot burgundy is less floral.  
7 Pots are hit or miss for floral for me.  I think you will love the Jonah.   Its my favorite red 7 pot so far, I don't detect hardly any floral in it, at least the ones I grew last year and the ones I received in the mail this year.  Planning on 3 red jonah's 2 yellow and 1 orange this year, hoping they are all as good as what I have had in the past.  

I wanted to slash anything with Butch T in it to avoid floral flavors but then I had this craving to grow the CP115 and my F4 Primo x butch T turned out beyond my expectations (pictured bottom right in my pic)...truly too gnarly to not grow from.  I am only growing 20 total varieties but only 1 of each so it should be interesting.  Nothing like the people on here growing 100+ varieties...blows my mind!

white naga and/or white bhut. I don't like that they aren't long and bumpy like red / choc / peach ghosts. seems like they aren't the truest pheno... peach is so much better if looking for the milder flavor

generic habaneros... people can just buy these in a supermarket there is hardly any demand from a specialty grower.. people want to try something different.

yaki blue. while it looks cool unripe.... when it ripens it just looks like another red superhot ish shaped pepper.

dulce sol, people i sent it to were not impressed with flavor.

bishop hat, grows too lanky / tall too quickly. needed to be transplanted weeks before other peppers.

Yellow brain. White bhut. "Choc reaper". Brazillian starfish. Bishops hat. Scorpion.

Went for a more hab approach this year. 5 types of habanero this year.

I found I wasn't as keen on Baccatums as most here seem to be. So all baccatums have been cut. I am keeping all my overwintered baccatums though.

Chinense from last year I cut are Super Datils, BMJs, Yellow Fataliis, Chocolate Habs, Green Habs, and White Bullet Habs. I liked some of these but I needed space to explore more chinense. 

My list always have to include:

• Bhut Jolokias
  • Scotch Bonnets
  • Purple leafed Chinenses (PDN, Cheiro Roxa...)
  • Sweet Annuums for roasting, grilling and stuffing

So I cut all the Habaneros (just prefer SBs), all the Scorpions (too floral, i just kept the original CARDI strain) and pretty much all the unstable hybrids that gave me bad surprises in the past.
Not excited by the reaper, planning to cut it from 2017 list and go with the Primo instead!

Haha, I'm only growing one variety I had last year, the rest are all getting cut. I realised that I'm still a few years away from eating a super, so why grow them? Also, being my second year growing, I'm still experimenting. So I like to try new things. I cut my red Cayennes, only to grow yellow this year. 

only habs are chocolates this year
only ghosts are chocolates
no butch t's
I'm pretty sure next season I will not have anything hotter than a 7 pot burgundy or caramel.
I'm growing a carloina reaper plant from Ed that my brother ordered along with a brown moruga from him as well. This will be my last year with them.
My favorite flavor combined with tolerable heat are the datil,fatilii and bonnets(MOA's) and Goats. These will be my focus for 2017 along with lots of Aji varieties.

Back