• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

D3 Pepper Products

MikeUSMC said:
Label looks awesome, D3!

Thanks, did a quick test batch on the inkjet. Looks ok. Some overlap. 

erpdvDe.jpg

What kind of labels do you use? The Avery 8164 seems like they might get soft on a moist / condensate bottle. 

I use the Avery 5164 (?), I think. The "6-up." I get the laser printer ones and bring it to to office supply store. They print them out for like $0.59/sheet. I'm sure there's cheaper ways, but...

I'm also getting ready to make a green sauce, got tomatillos, pablanos, jalapenos, serranos, bartlett pears, red onion, garlic. Was thinking about roasting them on the grill then tossing in some rice wine , water, salt (maybe some sugar???)  heating it a bit then maybe running it through the food mill to get most the pulp. 

MikeUSMC said:
I use the Avery 5164 (?), I think. The "6-up." I get the laser printer ones and bring it to to office supply store. They print them out for like $0.59/sheet. I'm sure there's cheaper ways, but...

These are 6 up as well just the inkjet version... not sure what the difference is. Maybe the laserjet are more of a vinyl/glossy ?

I think you're right, but don't quote me on that. I honestly don't know shit about printers. The first time I tried it, my wife did it for me on our inkjet. It looked like shit, and she said "That's because we don't have a laser printer," lol

MikeUSMC said:
I think you're right, but don't quote me on that. I honestly don't know shit about printers. The first time I tried it, my wife did it for me on our inkjet. It looked like shit, and she said "That's because we don't have a laser printer," lol

Inkjet is actually way better for color reproduction because it uses ink, not toner (like a copier does). There's a bit of a misconception that ink printers suck, when, the best printing in the word (called offset printing) is done with inks not toners. The problem is, at the consumer level, some of the inkjet printers are so bad, people think laser is better when no, a better inkjet printer is! Then, you buy the labels that lock the ink in (waterproof labels) so the ink sets. Laser is okay for graphs and such, but once you get into photographs, there's a reason you use inkjet. (PS. Ever print a photograph on laser? Now you see. On ink jet? Looks like a photograph from a lab. And does not smear because photo paper locks it, same as the right labels.). :cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:

Inkjet is actually way better for color reproduction because it uses ink, not toner (like a copier does). There's a bit of a misconception that ink printers suck, when, the best printing in the word (called offset printing) is done with inks not toners. The problem is, at the consumer level, some of the inkjet printers are so bad, people think laser is better when no, a better inkjet printer is! Then, you buy the labels that lock the ink in (waterproof labels) so the ink sets. Laser is okay for graphs and such, but once you get into photographs, there's a reason you use inkjet. (PS. Ever print a photograph on laser? Now you see. On ink jet? Looks like a photograph from a lab. And does not smear because photo paper locks it, same as the right labels.). :cheers:
I agree. The paper is the biggest upgrade. Inkjet on the waterproof labels is night and day compared to Avery regular labels.

The Hot Pepper said:

is there an avery label you recommend? I got these because salsa lady had recommended them on another thread. obviously i'm just doing this as a hobby so can't invest $50+ in labels

I've always recommended these and people have posted rave results but not sure of cost. TC uses too I think? https://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx
PS. Since I don't make sauce bottles and labels myself, cannot speak personally but have seen good results.

The Hot Pepper said:
I've always recommended these and people have posted rave results but not sure of cost. TC uses too I think? https://www.onlinelabels.com/weatherproof-labels.aspx
PS. Since I don't make sauce bottles and labels myself, cannot speak personally but have seen good results.
Yes these. I think for a 100 sheet order it is about 60 bucks. The size I use is 9 to a sheet. So 900 labels.

It comes to about 7 cents a label.

tctenten said:
Yes these. I think for a 100 sheet order it is about 60 bucks. The size I use is 9 to a sheet. So 900 labels.

It comes to about 7 cents a label.

yea I seen you can do a custom quantity but it comes out to about $1 a sheet which is pretty close to avery. Maybe I'll order some after I sell some jerky and gaucho rub to the coworkers lol. 

It's in ketchup and BBQ sauce so yup works. The granulated/minced will just take a bit more blending, wait till rehydrated, then whirl.

Alright, I got the fire roasted garlic, 5 tomatillos, jalapenos, serranos, pablanos, one red onion, 2 bartlett pears, toasted onion and garlic, kosher salt going on the stove with just enough water to cover everything,  I want to say 3.5 cups Added a good portion of a leek as well. 

Will wait until it's blendable, taste test and see what needs to be added vinegar and sugar wise. I'm sort of leaning toward a handful of brown sugar. 

VEOYviK.jpg

no limes  :mope:

I had some in the drawer I was going to test my allergies with but they was squishy. I should of had the wife grab a few when she was at store earlier. 

No worries, def pick a sharp vinegar then... :)

DUDE! This tastes great!!! 

Hit it with the stick blender real quick to get a taste test

WfN3NZd.jpg

I don't think i'm going to change it. Perfect level of heat and sweetness. Didn't add any sugar. Pears and tomatillo added plenty of sweetness. Can't wait to taste it after it has bottle conditioned for a few weeks. Still need to check ph. Eating real quick while bottles boil. 

HLt3aAp.jpg

ZcXT62D.jpg

Back