• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3monic's Crossing Project/Community Grow

Click for Currently Crossed ListWill keep it updated as new crosses are added.

Butch T Yellow and Bahamian Goat won the poll!
  1. Aji Omni Color (4 votes [8.16%]
  2. bullet_star_rated.png
     Bahamian Goat (14 votes [28.57%]
  3. bullet_star_rated.png
     Butch T Yellow (9 votes [18.37%]
  4. Aji Crystal (3 votes [6.12%] 
  5. Caribbean Red Habanero (3 votes [6.12%]
  6. Paper Lantern Habanero (7 votes [14.29%] 
  7. Bolsa De Dulce (3 votes [6.12%]
  8. White Bhut (6 votes [12.24%] 

Alrighty folks! It's almost plant out time and that means that my basement and lights are going to be freed up for some crossing projects through the summer. 

I have 4 DWC buckets available for growing peppers indoors all summer. (not to mention racks for seedling growout)
2 spots are already taken by White Fatalii and CGN-21500.

These Plants will be the Base for all my other crosses. Meaning that I will use pollen from plants that are outdoors in the rest of my collection crossed with these. These will be tagged and harvested and grown out in the basement to choose phenos. I'm planning on going for taste more than heat. 

Plants to choose from  

My biggest focus will be crossing the White Fatalii with CGN-21500 but will do plenty of other crosses with them as well. 

Here is my entire grow list and potential candidates to be crossed with my final choices (hope that makes sense)

Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Jays Peach Scorpion
Fatalii
Bonda ma Jaques
Butch T Yellow
Sweet Datil
Bulsa de dulce
Aji Omni-color
Aji Limon
Fidalga Roxa
White Bullet Hab
Paper Lantern Hab.
Jamaican Hot Chocolate hab.
White Fatalii
White Bhut jolokia
Urfa Biber
Inca Berry
Caribbean Red Hab
Aji Pineapple
BG7
Orange Wild Brazil
Goatsweed
Chocolate Habanero
Mystery Hababhut?
Scotch Bonnets
Taquila Sunrise "Hot"
Fooled you jalapeno
Yellow Primo
White Devils tongue
7pot Yellow brainstrain
Trinidad Giant yellow congo
Bahamian goat
Aji Crystal
Cumari do Para
Carolina Reaper
7pot Yellow
Yaki brown
Xalapa Jalapeno
Pink Tiger 
Criola Sella
7pot White 
Tepin X Lemon drop (iso) F2 
Aji Amarillo 
MOA Scotch Bonnet 
Champion (baccatum)
Large Orange Thai (growdown throwdown)
Yellow bhut
Australian Lantern Habanero
CGN-21500
Carbonero

Once the poll is complete Thursday night- the two winning plants will be moved to the hydro system and this thread will serve as my grow log for this project. 

Y'all are more than welcome to offer suggestions as to what you would like to see crossed with what as well. I'm sure I will be sharing seeds with most of you at some point (prolly F2? maybe some F1's)

Hey I decided that I'd need to keep a single place to log all the crosses since there is gonna be a lot. I started a new thread here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67625-d3monics-crosses-f3-and-f4-testing just to keep a single post which I can link off to.

I figured having one post that I have to edit will get lost in the thread, and then if I post 3+ pics of every pod it'll kinda blow this out of proportion. So I'll stick to updates and a single pic of each (I suspect next 2-3 weeks I'll be doing like 10 reviews at a time), and will keep the other thread completely up to date.

This way at the end of it you'll have a single place with a complete list of every single pod, the reviews, pics, etc, so it'll be easier for you to decide what to keep, etc.

Or, let me know if you want me to chuck it all in here as I go, just I suspect it might get messy so happy as to keep the other thread updated. Your call man. 

First review:

El Scorpenero F3 Plant 1

Appearance: Cayenne-like, but more bumpy. Most pods are approx 50mm / 2" long. Slightly twisted.
Colour: Peach
Heat: Roughly 700K-1M (my best guess, it's substantially hotter than a scotch bonnet but feels slightly milder than a Dorset naga). Heat lasts only approx 2 minutes. Instant kick, then it calms down relatively quickly.
Flavour/texture: the skin is a bit thick and chewy, brief initial bitterness but it went away afterwards. Not much taste itself apart from a subtle chinense-ish fruity taste.

2018-03-02_15.32.23.jpg

Awesome you're getting a yellow pheno off the red. The one yellow pheno I got in f2 last season wasn't that impressive. I like the size and shape for that one. 

Double Awesome that the lemon shaped pod is turning more yellow. That would be a keeper for sure as long as it doesn't taste horrible. 

D3monic said:
Awesome you're getting a yellow pheno off the red. The one yellow pheno I got in f2 last season wasn't that impressive. I like the size and shape for that one. 

Double Awesome that the lemon shaped pod is turning more yellow. That would be a keeper for sure as long as it doesn't taste horrible. 

Yeah fingers crossed it'll be something decent man. It looks too awesome to waste.

Haven't heard from me in a while, but here I am!

With some intriguing progress! 

Turns out that the El Scorponero "Gnarly Pheno" ripens from light orange -> dark orange -> red! And takes a bleeding long time!

And, the El Scorpnero "long pheno" is a pale yellow!

And then the "short pheno" is your typical yellow, but has small tails, and looks quite Hab-like (to my eyes, anyway.)

The Gnarly Pheno. It looks, well, gnarly, but also ripens in a gnarly way - I somehow managed to take not a single picture, but it has 4 colours at once, red, dark orange, light orange, and green. It ripens from top to bottom, and the colours are almost in distinct bands. And the pods are quite large, too. can't wait to see how it tastes. Although I didn't get a progress shot, here's the result, with the most ripe on the left, and the least on the right.

Looks pretty cool, hey?

Other than a lot of gnarly El Scorponero, and a few of the other two pheno's so far, I've picked 2 Devil's Pricks, each from a different plant, but they are a lot more similar than the El S's. 

They don't really seem too phallic-y, but you can see that its there... Interesting how they have the stubby rounded tail though.

Anyway, I'm going to give all of the above a bit of a taste test, depending on how I go. Will post results.

TBG. :dance:

Awesome! Thanks for the update TBG. I love the way pale yellow on right looks. Top yellow are meh. Probably scrap that one. Gnarly red nice and ... well gnarly lol. Cant wait to hear how they taste

Hey I fully see what TBG is saying about them ripening in a weird way, this first El Scorp Red pheno is still ripening from nearly 2 weeks ago. It's ripening from the top and there was a period it was green, yellow, orange, red. I'll try to keep an eye on it so I can take a good pic.

2018-03-06_08.40.07.jpg

Also the El Scorp Orange are all still ripening in a single verticle stripe from top to bottom and then the stripe gets thicker and fills out the sides. Whatever happened to this whole El Scorpenero strain, it seems to have affected how it's ripening. Pretty awesome!

2018-03-06_08.41.01.jpg

And here is another El Scorpenero Orange that's ripening the same way but just not the lemon shaped one:
2018-03-06_08.50.41.jpg

And also here is the El Scorp Red F3 which seems to be ripening yellow but preserved it's "Red" pheno shape:

2018-03-06_08.42.18.jpg

What, exactly, are the genetics on the El Scorponero? 

From how I understand it, its Carbonero X Butch T Scorpion Yellow.
But Carbonero is Carbon Indian Bhut Jolokia X 7 Pot Yellow X Orange Habanero???

And each of them, along with the Yellow Butch T, wouldn't have perfect genetics I presume?

So its no wonder that the El Scorponero is doing weird sh!t, its got really messed up genetics for sure!

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
What, exactly, are the genetics on the El Scorponero? 

From how I understand it, its Carbonero X Butch T Scorpion Yellow.
But Carbonero is Carbon Indian Bhut Jolokia X 7 Pot Yellow X Orange Habanero???

And each of them, along with the Yellow Butch T, wouldn't have perfect genetics I presume?

So its no wonder that the El Scorponero is doing weird sh!t, its got really messed up genetics for sure!

Correct it's a 4 way cross so lots of genetics at play here. 

Genetikx said:
This omni bonnet is crazy dense. None of them are growing super fast or tall, hoping that means they'll show their chinense side

nnvg4Ez.jpg

Whoa that's super dense. Mine aren't growing like that. I think last year it was growing like a chinense but looked and tasted more baccatum. Chinense flowers and was growing two per node. It was a huge bushy plant though. Didn't get overly tall but was over 4' across the top. 

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Haven't heard from me in a while, but here I am!

With some intriguing progress! 

Turns out that the El Scorponero "Gnarly Pheno" ripens from light orange -> dark orange -> red! And takes a bleeding long time!

And, the El Scorpnero "long pheno" is a pale yellow!

And then the "short pheno" is your typical yellow, but has small tails, and looks quite Hab-like (to my eyes, anyway.)

The Gnarly Pheno. It looks, well, gnarly, but also ripens in a gnarly way - I somehow managed to take not a single picture, but it has 4 colours at once, red, dark orange, light orange, and green. It ripens from top to bottom, and the colours are almost in distinct bands. And the pods are quite large, too. can't wait to see how it tastes. Although I didn't get a progress shot, here's the result, with the most ripe on the left, and the least on the right.

Looks pretty cool, hey?

Other than a lot of gnarly El Scorponero, and a few of the other two pheno's so far, I've picked 2 Devil's Pricks, each from a different plant, but they are a lot more similar than the El S's. 

They don't really seem too phallic-y, but you can see that its there... Interesting how they have the stubby rounded tail though.

Anyway, I'm going to give all of the above a bit of a taste test, depending on how I go. Will post results.

TBG. :dance:

Did you get around to tasting any of these? 

Hey man, I have got hopefully a few mates coming on the 24th of March to help me test the pods that will be ripe enough to extract seeds by then, so will review them all, post findings, will dry the seeds for 5-7 days and will have them over to you asap.

I know the longer I wait the less time you have to start them, hopefully this will still be enough for you to get them going this summer.

Back