• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Damn... sensory overload?

I made some Mexican pizzas on tostada shells earlier today, figured I'd mince 8 orange habaneros because... well, I put 6 on a whole regular pizza before with no problem. 8 on 5 Mexican pizzas can't be *that* bad, can it...? I realized when it came time to put the "toppings" on it that I overshot the peppers by at least 3, but I didn't want to waste those I took out of the freezer and cut, so I used them all anyway. I'll just say that it kicked me right in the face, and at least now I can feel my cheek again... :fireball:

The main difference compared to the way I usually make tacos (in which case I can easily use five or more orange habs) is that instead of cooking the peppers with the meat on the stove after draining, I just put them on top of the cheese and cooked them on "broil" (top shelf). Only took about 2 minutes and it was sizzling, compared to the 15-20 minutes to cook as a topping on pizza... the additional time must be it.

It started off nice an innocent... fairly quick heat that doesn't give in, and each bite got much, much hotter, and at an insane rate. The habanero flavor became incredibly strong... a bit overbearing, actually. I quickly was asking myself what I got myself into... it quickly became apparent that eight was just too much for those things; there was probably the skin of 2 or more habs on each tostada. The burn felt more intense than my tacos with 2 Naga Moriches (cooked thoroughly in the beef, though), and it was a similar kind of burn (hard to describe, not a nice tingly warmth kind of feeling, but it literally felt like it was burning).

The pain started getting to my ear; nothing new there, it's happened plenty of times before; drank water to reduce the heat (no milk, I start with the weakest form of relief first). I started getting disturbed though when my cheek--yeah, my whole cheek--went numb, along some strong tingling sensations in my legs (and somewhat in my arms). I couldn't feel a whole lot of burning in my mouth; it was replaced with some intense tingling of my gums; it felt like my teeth wanted to leave my mouth. LOL. By this time the right side of my face felt numb, and I couldn't feel my cheek. If I had to go to the dentist, I bet he could've cut a lot off of the bill, since I wouldn't need any additional anasthesia... :lol:

Long story short, by the time these strange sensations popped up (the tingling and numbing), the pain was pretty much subsided. Then I decided to brush my teeth after eating... yikes, the brushing brought the heat right back, and seemingly worse than it was for a while. I thought it was about gone... man, how wrong could I be? The mint and pepper combination was crazy, but needless to say the newly-emerged habanero took over massively, and the drool made the toothpaste hard to spit out. My eyes weren't watering while eating, but they sure started now. But yeah, damn. Intense, crazy stuff.

But the real point of this post is... does anyone else get feelings *other* than burning from eating something extremely hot? As in, tingling (the gums bigtime, and stranger yet, the legs and arms)? And numbness in an area that you would expect would well be out of reach of the capsaicin's contact area (ie. a cheek)? I always hear of people talking about the heat, maybe numbness in areas the peppers came in contact (tongue, mouth, throat), but... the cheek? The cheek on the same side of the face as the ear that started burning just minutes before if I remember right, so apparently there's a correlation. But damn, did the full-body and intense gum tingling and numbed face freak me out...

My forehead still feels slightly warm, and it's a few hours later... apparently my metabolism must still be in overdrive as well. But at least I can feel my whole face again now. Unbelievable. And amazingly... the burning itself was not near as strong as the other sensations (probably because of the numbing).

I have had a numb arm from eating the worlds hottest pie, made with Naga puree. That was weird as, my left hand actually started cramping up! OVERLOAD OVERLOAD!

Wow, bizarre, your arm went numb? Crazy. I thought the tingling in my arms was pretty strange, but I think a completely numbed arm takes the cake here.

My forehead finally feels cooler since just around 45 minutes to an hour ago. I ate around 9:00, so... damn. Some real lasting effects. :shocked:

The cheek numbness itself lasted until maybe 9:45; by 9:55 when I picked my sister up from work it was mostly gone but the side of my face was still feeling slightly funny (still slightly numb, just slightly).

I have overloaded on a pizza before, and nachos too. I can't say that I experienced all the sensations that you did, but I was mighty uncomfortable for a while afterwards. After the sweats and the lip burn subsided, my whole face tingled for a while. And the kicker is they weren't superhots. Just jalapenos I grew in my garden. I tend to stress my plants to make them a little hotter than normal, but these were just ridiculous. Your body has a funny way of coping with what it perceives as an attack and pain.

Actually, I have noticed the tingling to a certain extent in the past after eating--oddly enough, since you mentioned it--jalapenos sliced up on a pizza. Jalapenos, specifically the Jalapeno M and Biker Billy hybrid that I grew myself, were harder to eat on a pizza than habaneros cooked into taco meat (with some extra hot sauce on top for more flavor). They also burned the living hell out of my eye (yeah, I no longer judge the strength--or assumed lack thereof--based on store-bought jalapenos...). I even made a topic about it back then, I was so surprised at the heat of those things. It really puts the store-bought ones to shame.

Strangely, this is the first time a chinense did it to me, and it was much stronger than what the jalapenos did. I really think it's the quantity and the fact that it was a quick cook this time, but it doesn't make it any less strange. :?:

And what's sad is I thought I knew what was coming, because I licked my hand several times after I handled the peppers just before washing my hands (probably washed them at least a dozen times). After cutting them, and after sprinkling them on the Mexican pizza. Not much heat at all compared to some other peppers I've cut (in much lower quantities, BTW).

The things I would expect--the burning stomach and pain among other things--have been strangely minor. I think I might have saved myself tomorrow in the bathroom by choosing to brush my teeth so shortly after eating, there must've been a ton of capsaicin all over my mouth as I later found out...

Two things always surprise me about this type of thing, the first is the amount of heat variation between peppers of the same type. I've had Jaleps that blow your socks off like a habanero and jaleps that have pretty much zero heat. I always find a massive difference between Habanero and the Scotch Bonnet in terms of heat. I've had SB's that felt hotter than a Naga J, but never had a Hab that I couldn't easily eat.

The second thing that always surprises me after a really hot encounter, is how the heck can it hurt so much to pee? I mean I get the strongest burning sensation taking a leak the day after. That's probably more than y'all needed to know, right?.

Rooze

I had a cut up Brain Strain on a small sandwich that made the tips of my toes tingle, as well as some other parts too.

rooze: Yeah, I've occasionally had the burning pee. I was actually wondering if it was a urinary tract infection or something... or if it was because it was, eh, the first (most concentrated) pee of the day. Usually it's the #2 that causes serious everlasting pain for me, and it's often preceded by a feeling of discomfort. I feel that discomfort right now sort of, so I know it's gonna suck... :onfire:

For years, I've always thought I was pretty much a badass when it came to eating hot stuff - but that was before I discovered the real superhots, i.e. something other than grocery store habs, serranos, and jalapenos.

Lately I've started to develop (for me) an odd reaction to levels of heat that I could tolerate (enjoy!) easily before - besides the head sweats, teary eyes, and buzzed feeling, now I start to hiccup!

Now I need to start eating slowly, it seems, and work up to the heat level I like....once the hiccups start, it takes a while to get back in control. Causing the wife to ask why we have 70+ chile plants in the backyard now, she thinks I'm on a long term suicide plan. :crazy:

Anyone else get the hiccups?

Hiccups are pretty common around our house, not for myself, but others. Hubby gets the hiccups about half the time and sometimes it'll get into his ear canals, THAT he does not like.

Twice Scoville DeVille has gotten a massive headache, right at the base of the skull, which lasts over a day.

When I eat whole bhuts, after the endorphin high, I usually get a mild headache right behind my eyes. It's quite annoying, but well worth the experience.

Edit: I've never gotten the hiccups from a chili before though. Haven't eaten anything hotter than a bhut jolokia though, so I'm not sure what my reaction to anything hotter would be.

Back