• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dangler's Gonna Glog It

Never been good about this but going to give a Glog a try.  It's time to start seeds here in Kansas.  Some do it earlier ..... now is when I do it.  I've selected my seeds and divided them into Group A and Group B.
Group A will be started this weekend.  Group A includes most of my hotter varieties. 
I use the paper towel method to germinate seeds in lidded cups on temperature controlled heat mats.  Then I will transplant to 3.5" pots  .... more on this later.  I use T5 lighting systems.  Depending on the variety, I will ultimately look for 1X-4X starts.  I growout in 37 raised beds.  I grow as a hobby, to give away, small time sales and to process.  
Group A germination candidates are:

7 Pot Burgundy,

7 Pot Nebru,

7 Pot Primo Yellow,

7 Pot Yellow X 7 Pot Douglah,

Bhut Jolokia Arseclown,

Bhut Jolokia Assam Yellow,

Bhut Jolokia Caramel,

Bhut Jolokia Orange Copenhagen,

Bhut Jolokia Peach,

Bhut Jolokia Red,

Bhut Jolokia Salmon,

Bhut Jolokia Texas Firehouse RT,

Bhut Jolokia X Habanero RT,

BOC X Brain Strain,

Bonda Mahala,

Fatali,

Habanero Scorpanero,

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion,

Jonah's Yellow Brain,

Mojo Scoundrel,

SB7J Yellow,

Scotch Brains,

Scotch Brains Large Pheno,

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate,

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga,

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow,

Yaki Blue Fawn

I'll post Group B as we progress.  Group B is a much larger undertaking .... mostly SBs, annuums and baccatums.  I'll probably start those in a couple weeks.  Looking forward to documenting the season. I'll post the pictures once we get started.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Small mixed harvest today.  My Habs and Bonnets are just starting to turn.  Picked some nice Cubanelles and Ms. Junies too.
attachicon.gif
Picture 1.JPG
attachicon.gif
picture 2.JPG
Looks good there. I like my Ms. Junies after they go red.

skullbiker said:
Looks good there. I like my Ms. Junies after they go red.
Totally agree.  We like them both red and green.  I'm leaving several plants to go red.  Great variety.  One of our favorites. 

We also enjoy those cubanelles.  The variety we grow is Long Tall Sally.  They're really nice grillers/stuffers.  

The yellow guy is our first Dreadie.  

The others are mostly Caribbean Red Habs, a few misc. cayennes and a few shishitos.  

Made sauce today.  From the left Caribbean (Bonnets and Mango), Jalapeno, Jerk (in the middle) and the 3 on the right are Blackberry Bourbon (made with Red Bhuts ..... it's deliciously hot).

Attachments

• sauce1.jpg
    sauce1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 52
Made some Bhut hot sauce with some Bhut Salmons, Red Bhuts, Rutgers tomatoes, onions, red wine vinegar, salt and water.  The first tastes were painful and a little off putting.  Added jalapeno balsamic and honey to tone it down a bit.  

Attachments

• Hotsauce.jpg
    Hotsauce.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 59
Today's harvest. 2 full boxes.  They're really coming on strong.  It's a mixed harvest of Habs, Bonnets, Bhuts, Scorpions, Reapers, 7 Pots and some assorted other stuff.  We'll process these this weekend.  Yesterday I gave a couple of boxes (just like these) to two work buddies.     

Attachments

• 9_6_A.jpg
    9_6_A.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 9_6_B.jpg
    9_6_B.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 57
So many pods... I give my work buddies a pod or two. lol, but tomatoes i give away all anyone wants to take. Maybe next year.

Yesterday, Today and Finally the Jobitos are here!  I've got damn near 1,000 pods I need to process this weekend.   :rolleyes:  :fireball:  :onfire:  :high:

Attachments

• yesterday.JPG
    yesterday.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 57
  • today.JPG
    today.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
  • jobito.JPG
    jobito.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 53
The wife made me some stuffed Stuffing Bonnets and El Remo Habaneros.  She stuffed them with cream cheese and bacon and gave them to me for lunch.  Apparently a few of them were full up Caribbean Red Habaneros.  I ate them anyway.  Took 2 full hours for the hot lava flow to erupt.   :hot:

A few pictures of the garden today.  

Attachments

• Garden.JPG
    Garden.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Garden 1.JPG
    Garden 1.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Garden 2.JPG
    Garden 2.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Garden 3.JPG
    Garden 3.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Flowers.JPG
    Flowers.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 52
Habichuelas Rosadas (Pink Beans) from the garden.  These are dry beans.  Box 1 of 4.  Looking forward to frijoles refritos!

Attachments

• Beans.JPG
    Beans.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 48
Processed pods for 7 hours today.  Our freezers are full.  The sauce shelf is full.  The dehydrator is full.  I'm thinking that from this point forward, any remaining pods will processed for seeds only or given away.  We're still harvesting enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket per day.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Processed pods for 7 hours today.  Our freezers are full.  The sauce shelf is full.  The dehydrator is full.  I'm thinking that from this point forward, any remaining pods will processed for seeds only or given away.  We're still harvesting enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket per day.  
That's a lot of pods.

Season in review:
Though the pods keep ripening .... I think we're on the downside of harvest.  Still picking 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket/day.  I can hear the dehydrator humming as I write this.  
Started 325 plants this year.  In the neighborhood of 55 varieties.  At one time we had 125 plants out in the raised beds.  We lost a few to high winds in August/Sept.
It was a very slow start with lots of rain and cool temperatures.  The plants sat unhappy for 6 weeks after plant out before showing signs of growth.  That was followed by weeks of hot temperatures with little rain and plants perked up.  The rains returned and that's where we sit today.  Overall it's been a very wet year.  
  • Bonnets:  Dreadies, TFMs, Boatmans, WHPs, WHP IIs, Stuffers - Great year for production and just OK for flavor - Best of the bunch were the WHP IIs and the Stuffing Scotch Bonnets were great
  • Bhuts:  Dangler's Red, Salmon, Brown, Dangler's Hab/Bhut cross - Good year for production, good year for flavor - Best of the bunch were Dangler's Red
  • Habaneros:  Too many varieties to list - Great year for production and just OK for flavor - Best of the bunch were the Burkina Yellows and Bahamian Beast Chocolates
  • Scorpions:  OK year for production and OK for flavor - Best of the bunch were the Chocolate Scorpions
  • 7 Pots:  Jonahs, Burgundys and Cinder F2 - Cinder F2 production was great and continues - Burgundys were late but coming on strong in September - Jonahs didn't do much - Best of the bunch ..... jury is still out.
  • Ajis:  Finlandia, Mochero, Jobito, Yellow Umba, Limon - Great production from all - Flavor OK - Best of the bunch were Jobitos
  • Reapers:  Just OK - Had some off phenos - Not as painful as some previous years
  • Annuums:  Serranos, Poblanos, Ms Junies, Big Jims, Billy Bikers, Dangler's Hot Jalapeno, Cubanelles, Cayennes, Chilacas, Chenzos - Great year for all - Best of the bunch were the Billy Bikers, Chilacas and Cubanelles.
The insects were the most problematic in recent memory.  It started with cutworms, then Colorado potato beetles, then the stink bugs and now we have some of the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen.  In September, we had unbearable swarms of mosquitos. 

We made 6 batches of hot sauce, dehydrated pods, made lots of flakes and powders and the freezers are full.  Starting to save/package seeds now.  

I hope everyone had a good time.  Looking forward to next year.  Going to make some changes for next year and try some new varieties.  

Well it's kind of sad in a way and not in another.  Today was the final pull.  This morning's freeze got the plants pretty hard.  We pulled several thousand pods today.  We also pulled the plants.  It's been an above average season.  The fun season starts tomorrow.   

Attachments

• Final1.JPG
    Final1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 51
Back