• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Datil's 2017 - Nagaland, Mexico and beyond

Thought it was about time to start my first ever glog here :)
I'm very lazy and too busy to update it properly but i'll do my best.
This year i'm making an extra effort to keep the list tight and grow what i really like taste-wise, just a couple 'experiments'.

Here's what i've sowed so far (some seedlings already up):

- Myanmar Naga (landrace Burmese Naga pheno courtesy of Grant/JungleRain)
- Bih Jolokia Improved Light Green (originally from Frontal Agritech, courtesy of Chris Phillips)
- Yellow Bhut (scored on THP i forgot from whom... hoping is a true to form gnarly pheno or it will meet the axe LOL)
- Bhut Jolokia CPI (original release courtesy of Chris Phillips)
- Sonoran Chiltepin (wild landrace by narom8)
- Tamaulipas Chiltepin (landrace by Gary/windchicken)
- Chilito de Simojovel (landrace pequin from Peter/semillas)
- Forbing Naga (Red Nagabrain off-pheno by Gary/windchicken - see his thread)
- Madballz 7 2012 ('vintage' seeds by meatfreak, hope they will make it)
- Armageddon (originally from Vladan/Rainbow Chili Seeds, courtesy of Bjarne the BOC guy)

- Florida Wild Bird (OW)
- Bhut Jolokia OM (OW - from the dreaded italian OrtoMio brand, purchased as a live plant surprisingly true to form)

I may add or ditch something but the list will remain short this year :)
A special thanks to every THP brother that sent me seeds in the last years. I realized that it make no more sense to me to accumulate shitloads of them. Stock get old and loose viability sadly so i will probably make a list and gift to who's interested and have entire fields to dedicate...
I'll drop some pics later.

Thanks for reading

Datil

Great grow list and some fantastic healthy looking plants Fab, loving the look of your Myanmar naga ( as discussed in pm ) so im watching your grow keenly .
Be interesting to see it growing next to your shabu shabu as that is from a similar area , another with great taste and heat .

Keep up your good work and hope you have a fruitful season ;)

Superhot Sim said:
Great grow list and some fantastic healthy looking plants Fab, loving the look of your Myanmar naga ( as discussed in pm ) so im watching your grow keenly .
Be interesting to see it growing next to your shabu shabu as that is from a similar area , another with great taste and heat .

Keep up your good work and hope you have a fruitful season ;)
Thank you Sim!
It's third year trying Shabu in search of the real deal... It seems easy to find from many vendors now.
I've seeds from another source as well but i'm growing it mainly as a tribute to Floricole that sent me seeds three times!
Fingers crossed :)

Superhot Sim said:
Will love your Italian climate.
I hope so :D
This year i had a properly early start, we have a long season but a brutally hot and humid summer so it's better to have big plants and pods forming before the heat strikes ;)
Indian and nepalese landraces tolerate it well in my experience though.

Found some time to snatch a couple new pics!

Armageddon, healthy genetics for sure:

Bih Jolokia LG:

Pimenta Lisa F-4, the purple one should be the 'correct' pheno as pointed by Stefan in his thread:

Black Beauty aubergine :)

The younger CPI Bhut:

Tamaulipas chiltepin twins, they had a rough start (notice the burned cotyledons) but are recovering nicely:

Group shot, the toms are taking over :D

Eight bigger seedlings have already be moved to a small plastic greenhouse outdoor and doing ok.
Sadly i've too much healthy plants, a vast majority will be gifted/axed.

Thanks for watching!

Datil

Trippa said:
Nice work!! Some great strains in there ... I need to get up to speed on all these new to me species/strains I keep seeing on the glogs this season. Keep on Growing!!
Thanks Tristen!
Some novelty here and there is welcome for me but i don't mind too much the zillions hybrids circulating... Heirlooms and landraces show more vigor and better taste than unstable stuff usually :)

Take care

Fab

Devv said:
Looking good Fabrizio!

Funny how those "maters" take over. I wish the peppers would grow as fast!

You're off to a great start my friend! ;)
Thank you Scott!
Yep sometimes peppers may be frustrating slow :D that's why they're so rewarding at harvest time!

Have a great weekend!

Fab

Trident chilli said:
Fabrizio lovely healthy seedling plants and the red cups really show them off. Yes your toms are starting to fly ... have a good weekend and are you putting your clock forward an hour tonight
Thank you John!
Seedlings outside are thriving, it's unbelievably warm today. More transplants to bigger cups this afternoon, then in April the chosen ones will go straight in the dirt (maybe a couple pots but not more).
Yea tonight clock forward, i really HATE that i'd like to keep standard clock all year long!

Have a nice weekend!

Fab

Finally i've found a minute to take a pic of the best specimens so far enjoying a mild sun (right in the background my only OW survived, Florida Wild Bird):

Plants should have been moved in ground some time ago but a cold snap and wind/rain storms suggested me to hold back.
My toms were already transplanted and are struggling badly...

Major update next time!

Datil

Those gals look great Fabrizio ;)

If the tom's are having a hard time with the weather than you did right holding off on the peppers. Here, once I see the lows at or above about  4.5° for the 10 day forecast the tom's hit the dirt. I like them 30 to 38cm high when I plant and bury them after trimming the leaves to where the top 2 leaves and the crown are all that's above the soil. After that they go nuts ;)

Here's to warmer weather!

Datil said:
Finally i've found a minute to take a pic of the best specimens so far enjoying a mild sun (right in the background my only OW survived, Florida Wild Bird):

Plants should have been moved in ground some time ago but a cold snap and wind/rain storms suggested me to hold back.
My toms were already transplanted and are struggling badly...

Major update next time!

Datil

Sorry you're having contrary weather Fabrizio, but it sounds like you made the right call with holding the chiles back until it warms up and calms down a bit more. Plants look good!

Devv said:
Those gals look great Fabrizio ;)

If the tom's are having a hard time with the weather than you did right holding off on the peppers. Here, once I see the lows at or above about  4.5° for the 10 day forecast the tom's hit the dirt. I like them 30 to 38cm high when I plant and bury them after trimming the leaves to where the top 2 leaves and the crown are all that's above the soil. After that they go nuts ;)

Here's to warmer weather!

Thank you for the tips and good wishes Scott :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Great specimens, Fab.

They look healthy and happy. Flowers look nice and vibrant as well.

Thank you Chuck, this year i've finally involved my wife with the garden passion; she loves flowers as much as i love peppers LOL :D

stickman said:

Sorry you're having contrary weather Fabrizio, but it sounds like you made the right call with holding the chiles back until it warms up and calms down a bit more. Plants look good!

Thanks Rick, it was way too hot a month ago... i suspected a cold spell would arrive... i've taken the gamble with toms but happily been more conservative with peppers :) they will hit dirt / bigger pots very soon though!

Fab

Back