• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest December - Musubi throw down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm totally down with NOT doing anything holiday-related; we are going to be innundated with holiday stuff soon enough. But what I do like the idea of is things you cook in-between the holiday fanfare. If you're rushing between work, one holiday party after another, the kids' holiday play/musical/whatever, what do you cook that's quick but GOOD? Along those lines, we could revisit the ideas of a Ramen or Tater-Tot TD..... but we'll skip Ramen-Tots! LOL

Or we could get experimental - SL suggested a "mobile meal" TD a while back - cook in the engine compartment of your car..... could be interesting.

One pot meals are hard to judge, since presentation is so important. However we could do them. What if we added an edible bowl element? I'd like to see how creative people can get with that, would definitely make a more interesting TD. And one-pot meal, served in an edible bowl.

Leftover turkey.

Announce the proof of life and rules on Thanksgiving.
Pics can be posted the following weekend (the first weekend in December).

I'm with geeme, not holiday fare, and we won't have a tree the first weekend of December. Cooking in the engine compartment? I'll have what she's having. It will probably be single digits here and the cost of gas?
I dig the edible bowl thing, and/ or "quick but good. Sounds practical for that time of year.

Hey Ela... do you ship loaves of bread? LOL

Some of these ideas are good including the edible bowl idea. I know people don't want to do holiday dinner style TS but what if we implemented another cultures holiday. For example Iwas born and raised here but I am also Scandinavian. So can't do traditional Turkey dinner or lute fish.
Just a thought and keep the competition interesting
Aaron

Along those lines, we could revisit the ideas of a Ramen or Tater-Tot TD..... but we'll skip Ramen-Tots! LOL

Ahem...Ramen...cough, cough.

lol! I have never made ramen from scratch and this would be a great way to channel one of my favorite chefs, David Chang. Also, it is extremely versatile.

But on the other hand, Tater tots is a friend of Pedro, which is a friend of mine!

OH! How about this???

The ONE pot meal, as in..... you can only use one pan, pot, griddle, dutch oven, stock pot, crock pot, fry pan, to cook the meal. You can use it as many times as you want, but you can only use the one item.

It could be a traditional one-pot-meal or to cook each item or course separately.

OR!- The Mobile Cooking Challenge-
I think the engine-cooking idea started as a "mobile" cooking challenge, where you can only use a heat source that can be moved; such as a charcoal grill, toaster oven, hot plate, BBQ, smoker, car engine, "brush burner" flame-thrower, aluminum foil and iron, electric fry pan, George Foreman grill, electric waffle iron (NOT a stove-top model), crock pot, electric rotissare roaster, cast iron and briquettes, a campfire, smokehouse, solar oven (THAT would be cool to see).......(I could go on) ...but basically any cooking source other than your household stove.

Camper and RV stoves are prohibited unless they are removeable from the RV unit and can be hooked up to a portable propane tank.

edit- thanks geeme for reminding me of that!

I'd don't see the cooking challenge in using the same pot or pan to cook everything, that's more of a "college dorm and own one pot" thing, and I don't see how that works into creating a good meal.

One pot meal = chili, stew, soup etc. I don't care if you seared it first in a pan.

And the mobile food thing, I don't get. Okay grills are portable, if we want to grill let's just do grilling, no?

A little too outside the box. We all have pots, pans, grills, etc. no need to go all survival mode. :lol:

Oh, that's an even better idea.....Survival mode....no electricity.

Ahem...Ramen...cough, cough.
lol! I have never made ramen from scratch and this would be a great way to channel one of my favorite chefs, David Chang. Also, it is extremely versatile.
LOL
Ramen wasn't my idea, either. Someone else came up with it a while back - get a pack (or more) of Ramen noodles, and what can you come up with that's not just a bowl of Ramen noodles? I have to chuckle a little at this one - about a month after the Ramen was suggested, I saw one of those recipe booklets at the checkout line at the grocery store. Yep, an entire booklet of Ramen recipes. No, I didn't get it, but whenever I think of it, I have to laugh. Admittedly, though, they had some pretty creative stuff in there, all things considering!

I like the edible bowl thing, and of course, I'll always put in for sculpted food. I'm not normally a pie fan, but that could be a good redo.

Oh, that's an even better idea.....Survival mode....no electricity.
...... To which we're back to just grilling.....

Edit: I really think there have been some good suggestions the last couple of months. Like I seem to recall we were coming around to a consensus for a recent one when Dan popped out the "this is what it is" ..... I'm going to revisit some of the old discussion threads and see what seems interesting.

No electricity=
...... To which we're back to just grilling.....

not at all! There are MANY ways to cook without electicity.

pit cooking, solar oven, campfire, smoker, car engine, briquettes, pickled, dried,

The "no electricity" idea is different than the "portable" idea.

geeme, post some of the ideas you find, something will jump out and catch interest. As you said, lots of ideas get tossed about and some great ones get lost in the posts.

Just ideas, no vested interest in any of them other than not spam.

I think the no electricity one would be better used in the summer. I like two ideas here so far. The one pot edible bowl, or my favorite idea the leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I would expand it to include anything from Thanksgiving dinner. I especially like this idea because it would mean no more money out of the ole pockets to create a throwdown meal. (after I spent somewhere around $100 for this last one :lol: )

I especially like this idea because it would mean no more money out of the ole pockets to create a throwdown meal. (after I spent somewhere around $100 for this last one :lol: )

Lobster and unicorn blood are getting expensive these days...

I agree making something from leftovers sounds rather fun! I've always loves to get creative with thanksgiving leftovers! There are some interesting ideas in this thread. I'll be interested to see what the next TD will be.

the thanksgiving left over one would be awesome

except for those of us that arent gonna have thanksgiving this year because they work and live 6 hours away from any family...

:(

Just a thought about leftover Thanksgiving fare.
The rules for the TD will be posted 8 days after Turkey day.
Will there be leftovers?
Will you be sick of leftovers by then?
Will they be any good?

carry on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back