• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest December Throwdown Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a Hall of Fame throwdown?

Everyone makes their specialty dish.....their most favorite and best recipe. I think it'd be awesome to see the diversity.

I like the "leftovers of any kind" idea. I don't do turkey for Tgiving, either, and usually the only leftover from that meal is desert.
Sushi always works for me - breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight madness
Cajun any day
Turn chips or crackers of some sort into an entree - must be at least 60% chips, not just used as breading and not just frito pies or nachos - a "real" entree
Of course, I would get a huge kick out of a TD where everyone had to sculpt their entry ;)

What gives anyhow? THP we need a ruling on this, is the newly crowned Paulky going to be the picker of the next Throwdown or what? We all thought that was a nice touch to allow the previous winner choose the next throwdown. We all need to know.

What gives anyhow? THP we need a ruling on this, is the newly crowned Paulky going to be the picker of the next Throwdown or what? We all thought that was a nice touch to allow the previous winner choose the next throwdown. We all need to know.

Yeah, Enquiring Minds want to know

breakfast is a horrible idea after waffles

time limit idea cant be enforced, there are many ways around it, and I know if I was given a time limit for an online competition i would cheat in a heartbeat just because I could

money limit doesnt work either, because you could go out and buy a whole bunch of food at the grocery store a day before hand, and then go out the following day and spend 10 dollars, yet use all the extra stuff at your house you just bought to add to the throwdown

fajita's/mexican would be a good idea

i still like my idea of a raw ingredient, because there are an unbelieveable amount of raw/uncooked veggies, fruits, meats, poultry, fish that you can do

I've been thinking about the different topics such as dollar limits or time limits, and it really is impossible to enforce,regulate,collate things such as money spent or timed challenges.

A "least money spent" would be very subjective as to what's actually on hand or what was pre-purchased. For instance, I could do a prime rib dinner, as we usually purchase half a beef each fall, so for me that $60 prime rib roast would be "on hand" food.

Time limit could still be a challenge, with the trust that the clock in the picture is really the clock telling the time. Like everything, we have to trust our amigos. OR---

I'd love to see what people can whip up in 20 minutes! Or just make it a SpeedyMeal! what can you make in the fastest time-start to finish-not counting ingredients pictures or plate pictures!

Ramen noodles in 3.75 minutes versus a 7 course seafood buffet in 28 minutes... now THAT would be a voting dilemma!
:cool:

If I took 28 minutes for a seafood buffet, I'd fire myself! Time limits for a t-down won't work. Its all about the prep time. I'd rather see a t-down for just "chicken" or "beef" or some such.

Since most of the best throwdown ideas have already been done, I think it may be time to vote on which past challenge we should re-do. Personally I think we need another pizza throwdown or bbq

A money limit and or a time limit I just don't see anyway to manage that. For the money it's not just the ease of cheating. It's also the ability to account for for cost. For example my entry for the waffle TD was made mostly of things I grew myself. I didn't go out and shop for the ingredients I just looked at what I had thought up a recipe and cooked. And on time, again an easy cheat. Then there's accounting for time. Mostly what do you count ,and what don't you count? Do you count the time things take to heat up etc? Or just physical prep and cooking time? Then there's the "passive prep" like marinades or sourdough.

Personally I don't think a raw food dish is a good idea in December. I'm not sure about everyone else, but access to quality raw items passed about a month ago. And the pickings in the grocery store tend to be somewhat limited.

Cajun is doable, though I likely wouldn't participate.

Breakfast... umm we just did waffles.

Leftovers could work, as long as it's not Thanksgiving specific.

fajita's/mexican I also see no issue here.

There's also one that almost everyone on the forum is good at. Spicy Alcoholic beverages ,that would be a fierce competition.

Cajun is doable, though I likely wouldn't participate.

Breakfast... umm we just did waffles.

Leftovers could work, as long as it's not Thanksgiving specific.

fajita's/mexican I also see no issue here.

There's also one that almost everyone on the forum is good at. Spicy Alcoholic beverages ,that would be a fierce competition.

--Why would you sit out a Cajun t-down? Do you not like the Cajun cuisine?

--Breakfast after a waffle throwdown is bad? That's like saying we can't have a dinner throwdown after a beef throwdown.

--Leftovers could mean anything. I don't know about this one.

--Mexican/Tex-Mex is a good one.

--We start a throwdown on alcoholic drinks and the universe is liable to implode. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back