• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DEEDS ROOT CITY

*Information about added varieties on page 3*

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here... been using this site as an incredible resource for my everlasting search for face-melting heat. Decided to finally put all the knowledge I've gained to use, and grow my first super-hots!

This year was my first ever outdoor garden (and things went great!) along with many typical garden veggies, I grew some Thai chili's and orange habanero's. It's so awesome seeing all your hard work end up at the kitchen table. That being said... I've got growing fever now! Our outdoor season here in Idaho ends in Sept. - Oct. if you're lucky, and doesn't start back up until April-May'ish. That leaves me all winter with nothing to grow. So I decided to move things indoors to hold me over. I've always been fascinated with hydroponics and figured this would be the perfect time to dabble.

Enough with the boring background... and onto the juicy part: details and photos!

My grow includes:
Two 7 pots: Brain Strain and Douglah 
Thai Chili (saved seed from summer plant)
Nature's Bites: a cherry tomato (had some new seeds I wanted to try)

I had some storage under my stairs that I was able to convert into a makeshift grow room. I am using a 600w HPS bulb, and General Hydroponics Flora 3 part nutes.

In addition to my grow, I decided to conduct a mini experiment on seed starting... I read tons of stuff online about soaking seeds to speed up germination. Especially when soaked in a mild Hydrogen Peroxide solution. There was much debate whether soaking made any improvements so I though the best way would be to answer the question myself. I planted 12 seeds of each variety, 6 natural and six soaked for 24hours in a H2O2 solution. The "Natural" (un-soaked) seeds went in 11/13/13, and the soaked went in 11/14/13.

20131113_160120.jpg

11/18/13: my tomatoes popped (no difference between soaked/natural)
20131118_083706.jpg

11/20/13: my first Thai chili's popped (natural first)
20131120_180359.jpg

11/25/13: several Brain Strain's and Douglah's are up (mixed between soaked/natural)
20131125_155137.jpg

12/02/13: starting to see some real progress in the seedlings!
20131202_092522.jpg

12/07/13: even more growth all around
20131210_111921.jpg

12/07/13: first look at my grow area
20131207_154704.jpg

12/09/13: first transplant! (Needless to say I nuked those poor plants with a blast furnace right above them) Its a learning experiment, right!? Good thing I started way more than I needed for backups.
20131209_124233.jpg

12/27/13: after several rounds of trial and error I was able to get my plants to take in my new grow room
1555550_932397032234_2029487405_n.jpg

NOTES:

Brain Strain-
11/22/13: 1st sprout up (Natural)
11/25/13: 4 H202 sprouts up, 2nd Natural
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 6/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Douglah:
11/25/13: 3 Natural sprouts, and first tip of H202 sprout up
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 3/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Nature's Bites (tomato):
11/18/13: 6/6 Natural + 5/6 H202 (over weekend)
11/22/13: Most plants have first true leaves (still small)
11/25/13: First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/2/13: Multiple sets true leaves
12/3/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Third fertilizer soak (diluted)

Thai Chili (Hybrid? saved seed from summer garden):
11/19/13: First glimpse of sprout (Natural)
11/22/13: 5/6 Natural + 2/3 H202
12/2/13: Most plants have established true leaves

Fertilizing (nutes): General Hyroponics Flora Series 3pt (Grow/Bloom/Micro):
Waited to add any nutrition until first true leaves had formed, but added fertilized water immediately after since rockwool is sterile and inert, I figured the little plants would get hungry fast.

While plants were still in the propagation tray I would flood the bottom with nutrient solution and allow the rockwool to soak up as much as it could, and drain out whatever water was left. I would do this as often as the rockwool felt dry: initially about once a week, moving to multiple times per week as the plants grew larger. At this point I was using 1ml grow + 1ml bloom + 2ml micro / gallon water. ~300ppm

When plants were first moved into their grow buckets, I used 2tbsp grow, 1.5 tbsp micro, and .5tbsp bloom / ~4 gallons water. ~7-800ppm
    -May be a little high for some varieties, Thai and tomato loved it, 7pots got some serious nute burn. Maybe try 500ppm

First signs of blooms/blossom drop on tomato nutes were changed to 3tbsp bloom + 1.5tbsp micro + .5tbsp grow / ~3 gallons water. ~880ppm

Tap water here is about pH8+ so I was being lazy at first, and not testing or adjusting my pH. Once I noticed some iron/magnesium deficiency symptoms in my peppers, I realized I needed to be checking my pH as some nutes were getting locked out. After testing, and realized I needed to add about 1/2 cap full of pH Down to each nute refresh and check to make sure pH was starting around 5.5 and climbing over the time it was used. This cleared the symptoms pretty quickly.

Transplanting:
12/9/13 first transplant: WAAAAYYYY too early, absolutely fried those things. Need to wait much longer 3+ true leaf sets, and keep the light high until they plants are used to it.

Found some buds on both of my Douglah's at work!! Still none on the hydro plant, despite that it is significantly larger than the work plants. Either way, I'll take it! Now the waiting game continues...
20140123_165114.jpg

Great looking grow so far! I have found the supers start budding early if they start getting root bound. Loving the ghetto box solution! 

stc3248 said:
Great looking grow so far! I have found the supers start early if they start getting root bound. Loving the ghetto box solution!
Thanks stc! So maybe the office plants are putting out buds already since they were a little root bound in the party cups, and not the hydro plant since it never was? Gotta love the wacky, cheap last minute fixes... Even more so when they work! :)

Yeah...not just supers either. You've been to the nursery when they have a 10" tall Jalapeno in one of those little six pack seed starters and there are blooms and pods on it. Tomatoes are the same way. As long as they can put down more roots they'll concentrate more on growth and less on fruit...

The ghetto solutions are some of the best! I still use Christmas lights as frost prevention...everyone got a great chuckle from that when I first used them...didn't lose one plant on them frosty nights though!!!

Does that end up hurting long term production though? I'd assume a smaller plant focusing it's energy on fruit, would stay (relatively) small and not produce as much over its life? Maybe that could be used as a strategy for getting some fast early production while waiting on the main plant to fully develop. Like an early variety cultivar, only done so mechanically..

I remember seeing those lights on your massive plant. Not only does it keep it warm, but it looks cool! I used my still producing Thai chili on the kitchen table this year in place of poinsettias, still had that great red/green Xmas look, but with a little flair!

I wish Xmas lights would cut it for overwintering here, but no chance. I need to invest in a greenhouse!

I did a side by side with two Manzano plants I bought a few years back. I left the two small pods on one plant and pulled them and all the blooms from the other. I potted them in the same mix in 5# containers. In one month the stripped plants were almost a foot taller than the one with pods/blooms. Hardly scientific, but it convinced me.

stc3248 said:
I did a side by side with two Manzano plants I bought a few years back. I left the two small pods on one plant and pulled them and all the blooms from the other. I potted them in the same mix in 5# containers. In one month the stripped plants were almost a foot taller than the one with pods/blooms. Hardly scientific, but it convinced me.

Scientific enough for me!

How did it affect total harvest though? I'm assuming the larger plants put out much more in the long run, even though the smaller plant was producing for a longer period of time?

Yeah...that's the gist of it. I got about 20 pods total off the smaller plant all season, and over a hundred off the other plant. At season's end the non pulled plant was about 3' tall and 2' wide...the other almost 6' tall and over 6' wide. I don't let my plants produce until they have forked and then forked again. Others have had different experiences I am sure.

Right on. Well, we should have another round of data with my plants... I'm not going to pinch anything off the office plants, and we'll see how they do compared with the hydro's. All were started from the same batch of seed, at the same time.

Sorry I've only just got to your glog, just read it all and its great stuff! Awesome set up you have got dude, I shall enjoy following what you do next!

scovilleADDICTION said:
Sorry I've only just got to your glog, just read it all and its great stuff! Awesome set up you have got dude, I shall enjoy following what you do next!

Thank you scoville! I thoroughly enjoy hearing that other people enjoy what I've been working on and sharing with THP! Keeping records for my own use, and sharing my successes/failures with others = killing 2 birds with 1 stone! Always a great thing.

I hope you will also enjoy the expansion I am working on. More to come shortly!  :dance:

Nick08* said:
:woohoo: I have   10 last minute additions to my grow. Doubtful they will be hydroponic, I don't have the room... Unless I can work some magic. More than likely they will just be office grown until I can throw them into the garden this spring. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about these 2 new varieties!

I will reveal them once I know for sure it's going to happen. And of course, pics to come. You all know I love photo documentation  :whistle:

Well, thanks to everyone around here... I decided my grow just wasn't up to snuff. I keep reading about new varieties I want to try, and I definitely have the pepper bug. That being said, I'm adding 10 new varieties to my 2014 grow list:

C. chinense:
Carolina reaper (pod in upper left of picture, given to me by the local hydro guy)
Fatalii (Refining Fire Chiles)
Bahamian Goat (Joyner's Hot Peppers) Thanks Chris!!

C. baccatum:
Aji Pineapple (Refining Fire Chiles)
Brazilian Starfish (Tradewinds)

C. Pubescens:
Red Rocoto (Refining Fire Chiles)

C. Annum: (Tradewinds)
Jimmy Nardello
Yellow Corno di Toro
Giant Aconcagua
Shishito

Everything but the annum's will hopefully go in early next week. I'll have to wait on those as I'm running out of room. But i'm pretty excited to get some new growing started, and to try out some really awesome new varieties!

Hope you all enjoy following along! And as always, questions, comments, or suggestions most welcome! 
20140124_161351.jpg

1/26/14

Did a nutrient solution refresh today:
Tomato: 2.6 tbsp micro, 4 tbsp bloom, 1.3 tbsp grow (blooming and ripening) ~1050ppm - 5.0pH
Thai'brid: 2 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, 1 tbsp grow (transition to bloom) ~860ppm - 5.5pH
Douglah: 1 tbsp micro, 1 tbsp bloom, 1 tbsp grow (general purpose/mild vegetative) ~475ppm - 5.5pH
BrainStrain: 1.3 tbsp micro, 1.3 tbsp bloom, 1.3 tbsp grow (general purpose/mild vegetative x1.5) ~620ppm - 5.5pH

Root Pics:
20140126_135436.jpg
Thai

20140126_133003.jpg
Douglah

20140126_140746.jpg
Brain Strain

Tomato is now too big to get any root shots, and moving it in and out of the grow room is a royal pain! Here is a decent shot of the monster, and this is after pruning off a huge amount!

20140126_133703.jpg

Penny said:
Well done on all the plants, and that tomato plant is a monster!! :dance:
Thanks Penny! I must admit, I'm pretty excited about the results so far, especially on my first grow!! I give a lot of credit to all the accumulated knowledge within this forum... In addition to all the positive encouragement from everyone here! Can't wait to share some pods when they finally come in :)

A nice little package came in today!!!  :woohoo:  

Not only does it contain my final seeds (Bahamian Goat) but some sample powders that I CANNOT WAIT to try!!
20140127_172751.jpg
 Big thanks to Chris @ Joyner's  :cheers:

Hopefully within the week I will have the chance to get all the rest of my new varieties sown, and some new seedling photos up in no time (fingers crossed).

The GF is coming over with some home-made chili tonight, now my biggest problem is which blend to try with it!

The pecan smoked Bahamian Goat powder smells absolutely amazing!  :drooling:

And on a slightly different note... I wanted to share a couple pics of a greenhouse I was doing an inspection in. These are research beans, and I am damn jealous of that setup! It was crazy walking in too, from 20 degrees outside, into a warm humid plant filled space, I thought I had teleported to the jungle!
20131203_122947.jpg

20131203_122852.jpg
This is thwe walkway in from outside... I'm 6'4" and these things are taller than I am with my arms up!

stc3248 said:
Your plants are looking incredible...and that GH is freaking nuts! WOW!

Thanks stc!!

And yeah, I get to go out there quite a few times a year, each grow requires 5 inspections, and they usually have 4 grows per year (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) They definitely have quite the setup! Everything is auto watered, and in addition to the sunlight through the roof, there are about 30 HPS lights as backup. They aren't messing around.

Penny said:
All of those plants look amazing!!!

Wouldn't it be nice to have such a huge greenhouse!?  :drooling: 
Anybody seen leaves like this before?
20140129_083256.jpg

This is on my office BrainStrain... and this is how it grew. It wasn't a full leaf that was munched or tattered by wind/weather. I can not see any apparent insects anywhere. There is one other smaller leaf with similar symptoms, but then the newest (and older) growth shows nothing similar. I have never seen something quite like this...

Back