• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DEEDS ROOT CITY

*Information about added varieties on page 3*

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here... been using this site as an incredible resource for my everlasting search for face-melting heat. Decided to finally put all the knowledge I've gained to use, and grow my first super-hots!

This year was my first ever outdoor garden (and things went great!) along with many typical garden veggies, I grew some Thai chili's and orange habanero's. It's so awesome seeing all your hard work end up at the kitchen table. That being said... I've got growing fever now! Our outdoor season here in Idaho ends in Sept. - Oct. if you're lucky, and doesn't start back up until April-May'ish. That leaves me all winter with nothing to grow. So I decided to move things indoors to hold me over. I've always been fascinated with hydroponics and figured this would be the perfect time to dabble.

Enough with the boring background... and onto the juicy part: details and photos!

My grow includes:
Two 7 pots: Brain Strain and Douglah 
Thai Chili (saved seed from summer plant)
Nature's Bites: a cherry tomato (had some new seeds I wanted to try)

I had some storage under my stairs that I was able to convert into a makeshift grow room. I am using a 600w HPS bulb, and General Hydroponics Flora 3 part nutes.

In addition to my grow, I decided to conduct a mini experiment on seed starting... I read tons of stuff online about soaking seeds to speed up germination. Especially when soaked in a mild Hydrogen Peroxide solution. There was much debate whether soaking made any improvements so I though the best way would be to answer the question myself. I planted 12 seeds of each variety, 6 natural and six soaked for 24hours in a H2O2 solution. The "Natural" (un-soaked) seeds went in 11/13/13, and the soaked went in 11/14/13.

20131113_160120.jpg

11/18/13: my tomatoes popped (no difference between soaked/natural)
20131118_083706.jpg

11/20/13: my first Thai chili's popped (natural first)
20131120_180359.jpg

11/25/13: several Brain Strain's and Douglah's are up (mixed between soaked/natural)
20131125_155137.jpg

12/02/13: starting to see some real progress in the seedlings!
20131202_092522.jpg

12/07/13: even more growth all around
20131210_111921.jpg

12/07/13: first look at my grow area
20131207_154704.jpg

12/09/13: first transplant! (Needless to say I nuked those poor plants with a blast furnace right above them) Its a learning experiment, right!? Good thing I started way more than I needed for backups.
20131209_124233.jpg

12/27/13: after several rounds of trial and error I was able to get my plants to take in my new grow room
1555550_932397032234_2029487405_n.jpg

NOTES:

Brain Strain-
11/22/13: 1st sprout up (Natural)
11/25/13: 4 H202 sprouts up, 2nd Natural
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 6/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Douglah:
11/25/13: 3 Natural sprouts, and first tip of H202 sprout up
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 3/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Nature's Bites (tomato):
11/18/13: 6/6 Natural + 5/6 H202 (over weekend)
11/22/13: Most plants have first true leaves (still small)
11/25/13: First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/2/13: Multiple sets true leaves
12/3/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Third fertilizer soak (diluted)

Thai Chili (Hybrid? saved seed from summer garden):
11/19/13: First glimpse of sprout (Natural)
11/22/13: 5/6 Natural + 2/3 H202
12/2/13: Most plants have established true leaves

Fertilizing (nutes): General Hyroponics Flora Series 3pt (Grow/Bloom/Micro):
Waited to add any nutrition until first true leaves had formed, but added fertilized water immediately after since rockwool is sterile and inert, I figured the little plants would get hungry fast.

While plants were still in the propagation tray I would flood the bottom with nutrient solution and allow the rockwool to soak up as much as it could, and drain out whatever water was left. I would do this as often as the rockwool felt dry: initially about once a week, moving to multiple times per week as the plants grew larger. At this point I was using 1ml grow + 1ml bloom + 2ml micro / gallon water. ~300ppm

When plants were first moved into their grow buckets, I used 2tbsp grow, 1.5 tbsp micro, and .5tbsp bloom / ~4 gallons water. ~7-800ppm
    -May be a little high for some varieties, Thai and tomato loved it, 7pots got some serious nute burn. Maybe try 500ppm

First signs of blooms/blossom drop on tomato nutes were changed to 3tbsp bloom + 1.5tbsp micro + .5tbsp grow / ~3 gallons water. ~880ppm

Tap water here is about pH8+ so I was being lazy at first, and not testing or adjusting my pH. Once I noticed some iron/magnesium deficiency symptoms in my peppers, I realized I needed to be checking my pH as some nutes were getting locked out. After testing, and realized I needed to add about 1/2 cap full of pH Down to each nute refresh and check to make sure pH was starting around 5.5 and climbing over the time it was used. This cleared the symptoms pretty quickly.

Transplanting:
12/9/13 first transplant: WAAAAYYYY too early, absolutely fried those things. Need to wait much longer 3+ true leaf sets, and keep the light high until they plants are used to it.

thirdcoasttx said:
Great looking grow. Those roots are awesome. I saw the tomato plant pic and almost cried, good job keeping it alive.

irishmaverick said:
Those roots look incredible. Keep up the good work! Cool set up too.

Thanks for the kind words! Its amazing what a plant with a healthy root system can cope with. Hydro is pretty incredible... I definitely didnt expect the plants to take off the way they have.  :D

I also know its way too early... but I can't wait to get to the office tomorrow morning and check in on the seeds!  :crazy:
:doh: Really wishing I would have started things a little sooner, would have been great to have pods to share with friends at the Super-Bowl party. They keep asking for some peppers... not sure if they know what they are about to get themselves into...  :hell:

Well, between when I got to the gym at 6 this morning and work at 8:30, this happened... still coming down too.
20140203_081921.jpg

We REALLY need the snow, especially in the mtns to have enough water for the year. We're already way behind, and without being too much of a pessimist I'm predicting a pretty tough 2014 unless some crazy storms blow through between now and spring. That being said, I'm over winter already!!!!

On another note... office plants seem to be doing OK. Nothing to write hoe about, almost ins suspended animation. Anyone with more experience think it might have to do with the lights being on 24hr?

Well, if you need some more snow I will gladly give you mine.  Actually with all the snow we got here, its going to be a blessing once it melts.  Streams on the farm that I have gotten fish out of barely have water in them any more.

I would think the lights being on all the time would make them grow too much.  Are these established plants or new plants?  I think plants need that cycle to shut down each day.  Sort of like us sleeping.  Not sure though.

Good luck.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Well, if you need some more snow I will gladly give you mine.  Actually with all the snow we got here, its going to be a blessing once it melts.  Streams on the farm that I have gotten fish out of barely have water in them any more.

I would think the lights being on all the time would make them grow too much.  Are these established plants or new plants?  I think plants need that cycle to shut down each day.  Sort of like us sleeping.  Not sure though.

Good luck.
If you can give it in the hills great! If its for the town.. keep it! 

These are the plants:
20140203_093317.jpg

I thought the same... but I'm thinking now that might be more for the vegetative phase. I think once budding/blooming/fruiting comes along they plants need the dark for exactly what you said. Maybe Ill try shutting off the light when I leave and see what happens.

As soon as I pot up, sometimes even before the first trues hit, I have them on a 12 hour cycle with a ceiling fan running 24/7.  Have you looked at the timers you can plug in and then plug the lights into that?  Unless you are there every day, your plants will either have 48 hours straight light or darkness on the weekend without a timer.

HillBilly Jeff said:
As soon as I pot up, sometimes even before the first trues hit, I have them on a 12 hour cycle with a ceiling fan running 24/7.  Have you looked at the timers you can plug in and then plug the lights into that?  Unless you are there every day, your plants will either have 48 hours straight light or darkness on the weekend without a timer.

Good point. Weekends will be a struggle without a timer. My HPS is on a simple plug in one, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Guess I'll have to put one on the shopping list.

Peppers are not photo sensitive when it comes to fruiting...but they do need a break every now and then. I did a time lapse video over the course of a week or so a couple years ago and it shows how they refresh during breaks in the light cycle. Let me see if I can find it...

Here it is...when the LED flashlight on the right is on the grow lights are off. Actually looks brighter during the off cycle due to the camera adjusting for the bright lights when they are on...
Here it is without sound...
http://youtu.be/U-ysJWvk3x8

Huh... when I try and watch the video I get a message saying "this video contains content from umg and umpg publishing, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

stc3248 said:
Peppers are not photo sensitive when it comes to fruiting...but they do need a break every now and then. I did a time lapse video over the course of a week or so a couple years ago and it shows how they refresh during breaks in the light cycle. Let me see if I can find it...

Here it is...when the LED flashlight on the right is on the grow lights are off. Actually looks brighter during the off cycle due to the camera adjusting for the bright lights when they are on...

Wow, that's awesome! Crazy how you can actually see the plants "rising" once the light goes off, and lowering once it comes back on. I'm assuming there is a fan going when the light is on (plants seems to be moving around alot more)? Really cool video.

So peppers not being photo sensitive when it comes to fruiting means that they arent dependent on dark to get things done?

But it helps... based off my simple observations of the progress plants have made since switching to 12/12 from 18/6. I left the lights in the office off over night, and the plants definitely seemed a little "uplifted".

thirdcoasttx said:
Huh... when I try and watch the video I get a message saying "this video contains content from umg and umpg publishing, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Hmm, weird. It works for me from home and work. Maybe if I link it you can try again?
[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]http://youtu.be/THci_FW4VVo[/SIZE]
On another note... what would anyone say about this leaf? It's not the nice smooth flat look I would prefer...
20140204_084657.jpg

Nope same thing. Ill try it from the computer when I get home. Im curious about the leaf curl as well some of the newer growth on mine is doing the same thing, not quite as drastic though.

Yeah...the vid may have issues because I put music to it. That is why it is set to unlisted on my channel. I think I have one without sound that should work, but it isn't as fun to watch...hold on I will post one last thread jack. I have to do it from my phone because of the internet police at work.

Edited above...
and yes, a fan on the same timer with the lights.

2/4/14
Did a nutrient solution refresh today:

Tomato: 2 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, 1 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag (blooming and ripening) ~1100ppm - 5.0pH
Thai'brid: 2 tbsp micro, 3 tbsp bloom, 1 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag (blooming and ripening) ~1120ppm - 5.5pH
Douglah: 1 tbsp micro, 1 tbsp bloom, 1 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag (general purpose/mild vegetative) ~606ppm - 5.5pH
BrainStrain: 1.5 tbsp micro, 2 tbsp bloom, .5 tbsp grow, 1 tbsp CalMag (blooming and ripening) ~620ppm - 5.5pH

The Tomato and the Thai are clearly sucking up both water, and nutes. Both had much lower water levels, and had ppm's in the 130's when I checked the drain water. I'm a little behind on getting these drained!  :doh:

Neither of the super hots used nearly as much water, or nutes. Both had quite a bit of water left, and ppm's in the 700's. It seems like based on these numbers the supers don't like nearly as high of concentrations. And I know more isn't always better... but I just find it so difficult to feed them any less than 1 tbsp of each per bucket. They seem to be growing ok, especially the Brain... but I dunno why the high nute concentrations of drain water aren't indicating it.  :think:

TOMATO:
20140204_111254.jpg
 Continues to ripen  :D
20140204_111443.jpg
Roots just wont stop! Fill the entire 5 gallon bucket now!!

THAI'BRID:
20140204_112907.jpg
LOADED with flowers under that big canopy
20140204_112842.jpg
First pods getting bigger now too!  :dance:

BRAIN STRAIN:
20140204_113709.jpg
Brain is also loaded with buds and lots of flowers now blooming.

Nothing photo-worthy on the Douglah. Still several buds coming in however.

Whole Room:
20140204_121152.jpg

All looking GOOD! The brain strain pic is exciting, its the pepper thats been top of my most wanted list to try for so long! It will be so long before my plants will look like that, I cant wait! Will be awesome to see your brain pod pics when they arrive  :)

Plants look real good Nick. ou may want to consider lowering the nutes on the Thai, the leaves are looking a bit crispy.

This grow is speeding right along...look at that bundle of fiber optices...ah, I mean hydro roots..and I do mean..mean looking. That's cool having tomatoes indoors. That's a crazy tile floor, haven't seen that pattern in awhile..retro looking!

OKGrowin said:
some people are getting ready to pot up their seedlings and you already got plants with pods. :shh:

:cheers:

Jeff H said:
Plants look real good Nick. ou may want to consider lowering the nutes on the Thai, the leaves are looking a bit crispy.

Really? I thought the Thai was looking great myself (for whatever that is worth :crazy: ) most the leaves have a rich green, and are pretty uniform if texture/appearance.

Maybe you are referring to this pic?
20140204_112842.jpg

These are leaves in the heart of the plant, under the canopy and I don't think even my 600w HPS is getting down to them... I thought the yellowing was just them getting cholorotic due to lack of sufficient light?

Nick08* said:
On another note... what would anyone say about this leaf? It's not the nice smooth flat look I would prefer...
20140204_084657.jpg
Leaves cupping upwards is a tell tale sign of calcium deficiency. In this case it could be either locked out or a lack of calcium. Calcium can be locked out due to a high ph level or it being out of balance with Magnesium (which should be at a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium). In your case I'm leaning towards a deficiency. Calcium is readily available in a hydro ph range between 5.5 and 5.8. Since you are already ph-ing your water down to this level you should probably add a bit of cal-mag.

I would also like to add that in my limited experience 700ppm is a bit high during the vegetative stage for chili plants. I had to reduce my nute strength down to 500ppm in order to get the leaves to flatten out. It's a bit of a different story when they are laden with flowers and pods though. I don't know how high the nute strength should be at the moment, but it is higher.

Neil

Those yellowing leaves could be lack of light...but I dunno. Your plants look very healthy overall and I would avoid making any drastic changes to what you're doing. If you were in soil my fist recommendation would be to check PH, but y'all are speaking french with all that hydro stuff to me.

Nick08* said:

:cheers:

Really? I thought the Thai was looking great myself (for whatever that is worth :crazy: ) most the leaves have a rich green, and are pretty uniform if texture/appearance.

Maybe you are referring to this pic?
20140204_112842.jpg

These are leaves in the heart of the plant, under the canopy and I don't think even my 600w HPS is getting down to them... I thought the yellowing was just them getting cholorotic due to lack of sufficient light?

Yeah, those leaves look yellow due to lack of light, but that wasn't the pic I was referring to. I was looking at the one that Blister quoted. I guess I thought that was the Thai because you were running the highest nutes in it. 700 isn't too high but it is definitely on the high side.

Not sure I agree about it being calcium though. Calcium is an immobile nutrient. It is either there when the leaf forms and the leaf looks normal or it is not there and the new growth is shrived and stunted. I'd put my money on early stages of nute burn. Lower the nutes a bit and see if those leaves flatten out.
One other question, are the PPM numbers you are quoting just the added nutes or are you quoting the total of nutes + water. That makes quite a difference. My water is around 200PPM, but I have heard of some water up over 400.

Back