• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Deer Snausage

I hope so. That's like Scovie putting Egg Beaters in his eggs. :lol:

Don't give the eggman koo koo ka choo any bright ideas.

The man would take an over hard fried egg and use it as a taco shell and stuff it with scrambled eggs and pour hollandaise (more eggs) over that and top the whole shebang with a poached quail egg.

He'd pour the egg beaters into his glass of whwhwiskey and drank 'em.

:rofl:

He makes egg white omelets and drinks the yolks. He is SCOVIE! That guy.

Fresh Italian sausage is also good, and if you don't care for the flavor of venison grinding it up for making chili is a great option.

That sausage looks fantastic. DId it have heat? I saw the ingredients, but I mean is it hot with that amount of peppers?

That sausage looks fantastic. DId it have heat? I saw the ingredients, but I mean is it hot with that amount of peppers?

Thanks. The first and second batch are probably what most people would call "hot". Most people can eat it, but it's definitely spicy. The third batch is for chileheads only.

The pepper powder is the only thing I didn't measure out. I just fry up a small patty to taste and adjust accordingly.

Mojo man, how long did you smoke it for and at what temp? I'm going to be doing some up, first time and not sure whether to use the electric and smoke at lower temp, think 110 for more smoke, or crank it up into the not electric at like 250. Also debating whether to use Apple or maybe some Maple. As it's Lebaneese recipe I'm using with Cinnamon in the mix I thought the Maple might work nicely.

I smoked it at about 200-220. I don't really time it, but just judge by the color I'm looking for. That tells me how smokey it will be. It's not fully cooked when it's done smoking. In the past I've simmered and/or grilled it until fully cooked as needed, but this year I simmered (actually just less than a simmer) each batch as it came out of the smoker until fully cooked so it would be "heat and serve". I actually just had some out of the freezer for dinner and it was great. I wish I could give you a better answer to your question, but I'm always trying something new and learning as I go. Just make sure to use cure if smoking.

I used mesquite this time. I've used hickory, apple, and so on in the past, but to be honest they all just taste smokey and good to me. Maybe if I tried them side by side I could tell a difference. Again, I wish I could give you a better answer.

One thing I would suggest is leaving a small batch in the smoker until shriveled and somewhat overcooked. I did this for the first time this year. It turned out like big beef sticks and was absolutely delicious. (not pictured)

Lebaneese sausage sounds interesting. Let me know how it turns out. I'm sure it will be great. I would also be interested in the recipe.

Good luck!
MM

Nice looking snausage. I made about 20 pounds about 6 years ago. Came from my last 9 point Buck I didn't smoke it but would have if I had a smoker back then. Cut it 50/50 with pork. Made half Italian and half sweet breakfast. I gave some to my bro and friends they loved it. Deff worth the effort.

What do you simmer them in, Water? Beer? Juice?

This whole thread makes me hungry.
And hellz yes I was kidding about the liquid smoke!
Haven't y'all learned by now not to take anything I say seriously?
Unless I'm being serious.

Seriously, Egg taco shells, Hhwiskey yolk chuggers, all great ideas. Duly noted.

I haven't posted pics for several months because I lost the cord for my camera. I finally found it and uploaded some pics, so here's my first crack at smoked venison summer snausage. I made it on New Years Day. It's almost gone now, but I can't wait to make some more. It turned out great! I used cherry and hickory this time around.

That one was a prepared mix made by LEM. It came with the casings as well. The only thing I added was pepper powder. I usually like to make my own spice mixes for sausage, but this one was great. I will probably use it again.

muskymojo said:
That one was a prepared mix made by LEM. It came with the casings as well. The only thing I added was pepper powder. I usually like to make my own spice mixes for sausage, but this one was great. I will probably use it again.

Have you ever considered using juniper berries in your venison ?  It adds a excellent flavor to venison.

The recipe below is from Field and Stream ... I modified it for a batch I made for some hunters locally (actually removed the garlic and thought it was better that way)
and I used my mix of applewood smoked Scotch Bonnets, Jamaican Hot Chocolates, Fatalii and cayenne peppers for my powder additive.
I used ALL dried ingredients for this

Field & Stream's Ultimate Wild Game Rub

¼ cup kosher salt (I use applewood smoked Sea Salt)
¼ cup ground black pepper
¼ cup sweet paprika (I used smoked sweet spanish paprika)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (dried, brownulated)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed and minced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. For best results, use your fingers to fully distribute the juniper oils. This makes 1¼ cups, enough for 8 to 10 pounds of meat. Kept away from heat and light, it will last up to six months.

Back