• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Deer/Venison

muskymojo said:
20 lbs of venison summer snausage ready for some smoke! I did 5 lbs each of garlic, mild, hot, and nuclear. :mouthonfire:

I couldn't find my wooden dowels that I use to hang snausage, so I used some bamboo garden stakes. :)

Oh hell yes! What kinds of pepper did you use in them?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Oh hell yes! What kinds of pepper did you use in them?
I used smoked congo red powder in the mild and hot, and smoked douglah powder in the nuclear.

There was about 1/2 pound of each left after stuffing, so I mixed it all together and cooked it. I'm thinking the douglah one is going to be pretty brutal, because the mix of all 4 is too hot for most people to eat.

Dinner for tonight.
20151117_184457.jpg

20151117_185913.jpg

The steak cut as easy as the eggs, Mmmmmm!

Seasoned with Joyners 7 pot burgundy powder

I have had the best luck when I take NO scent into the woods.
Although I will admit some of the doe in estrus scents will indeed work and work really well. I have found that if you stake out a main trail and make an attempt to not add anything that is not there when you are not, your odds are just as good in getting a deer.

My odds increased 100%, twice this year.

Guess that's the dilemma then. No rifle season in Illinois and I see deer everytime out, just no presentations for a good bow shot. With a rifle everything would fall.

We have shotgun zones and rifle zones here. I've been using my muzzleloader with a scope when I hunt in shotgun zones (which is legal here) because it's much more accurate than any shotgun I own. It's also more accurate, and can reach out farther than the slug guns with rifled bores a lot of my friends have. The only downside is only having one shot, but I don't mind only getting one shot when I'm confident it will go where I want it to.

muskymojo said:
We have shotgun zones and rifle zones here. I've been using my muzzleloader with a scope when I hunt in shotgun zones (which is legal here) because it's much more accurate than any shotgun I own. It's also more accurate, and can reach out farther than the slug guns with rifled bores a lot of my friends have. The only downside is only having one shot, but I don't mind only getting one shot when I'm confident it will go where I want it to.
"You dont need 10 bullets to kill a deer"

Heh, I just had to quote that.

Back on subject though. Yeah, and I have considered muzzle loader here as we have a muzzle loader season as well as a shotgun and hand gun season. My preferred firearm is a center fire rifle though. But Illinois politicians are afraid a rifle fired at a deer in rural Illinois will some how travel to the higher populated big cities. Here is the Dunbacratic ideocracies, (I know these are not real words but they fit) I can hunt squirrel with a 30-06 shooting at them from the ground into their elevated positions in the trees, yet I cannot shoot at deer on the ground from an elevated position in the tree.

So I keep hunting my venison with a bow where everything has to be good or you get busted by the deer. Having a deer get to within 5' of you is really a trip. And I am getting really good at staring down a deer that thinks he sees me.
Lots of new venison in the freezer as I have completed butchering and vac sealing the small buck. I am aging the larger on in the fridge just a little longer. Fridge is at about 35° and all seems to be going well. I the weather make some corrections in the next month I may go out again. One can never have too much venison. Oh, BTW those back straps are some of the finest I have ever had. so tender and juicy you would think someone already chewed them for you.

I knew we had black powder and shotgun season (gotta win a lotto for that) but wasn't aware we had a handgun season. 

FishinHank said:
I dropped a 3x2 blacktail today with the .243. Backstrap for dinner tonight! Our season ends Nov 30th and I have 2 tags left, only have next thursday through sunday to fill them due to work.
Grats on you evasion of tag soup.

Man alive is this one tough! The backstrap I cooked tonight was really tough, gonna have to make a whole lot of jerky and stew meat.

FishinHank said:
Man alive is this one tough! The backstrap I cooked tonight was really tough, gonna have to make a whole lot of jerky and stew meat.
We don't have black tail around here so I can't respond with any authority. but it seems something is wrong if you have backstraps that are tough.

I need to look at the deers teeth to see how old it is. I have always noticed a difference between deer taken in august and deer taken during the rut. I ate the tenderloins tonight and they were even a little chewy......

Back