• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Deer/Venison

Hmm, our season don't start to Oct 1 so I can't make the same comparison. I have shoot early Oct deer and late Nov deer and never encountered what you have. Now a very young deer will provide melt in your mouth backstraps as the one I have been enjoying has done. But even my older deer's strap meat is still very delicious and tender. I assume you are serving the filets up at med rare.

CAPCOM said:
Dinner for tonight.
attachicon.gif
20151117_184457.jpg

attachicon.gif
20151117_185913.jpg

The steak cut as easy as the eggs, Mmmmmm!

Seasoned with Joyners 7 pot burgundy powder
How was the powder on it?
CAPCOM said:
We don't have black tail around here so I can't respond with any authority. but it seems something is wrong if you have backstraps that are tough.
Actually I had the toughest whitetail backstraps of my life this year. The deer was in full rut but never in 35 years of eating venison had this happened to me. My dad and brother both validated, it was worse than the toughest part of the hind quarters. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
How was the powder on it?   The powder was awesome! I am really enjoying it. I may have to add 7 pot burgundy to my grow list.

Actually I had the toughest whitetail backstraps of my life this year. The deer was in full rut but never in 35 years of eating venison had this happened to me. My dad and brother both validated, it was worse than the toughest part of the hind quarters. 

Wow, I have been blessed so far then in that I have never encountered back straps even relatively close to your descriptions

I let some age in the fridge and it is getting more tender every day. Go figure. I am heading out in the morning to try and get #3.

CAPCOM said:

How was the powder on it?   The powder was awesome! I am really enjoying it. I may have to add 7 pot burgundy to my grow list.

Wow, I have been blessed so far then in that I have never encountered back straps even relatively close to your descriptions

Pretty sure I got some seeds if you need them, though I got a feeling you have them already. 

Let me know how smoking venison works out for you. I have only had shoe leather as a result from me or anyone that tried due to lack of internal fat. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Let me know how smoking venison works out for you. I have only had shoe leather as a result from me or anyone that tried due to lack of internal fat.
Yeah, that's pretty much what you will get smoking the meat straight up. I want a smoker for many reasons but as it pertains to venison, for making sausage and venison sticks

maybe ran though a tenderizer and soaked in a marinade for a long time before smoking? I've never tried it. Not sure if i've had smoked venison jerky or not. Pretty sure most of what i've had was soiled with liquid smoke and tossed in a dehydrator. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I used smoked powders on mine to get the smoky flavor. Venison/pork andouille sausage is the bomb as is pork/venison sage sausage!
I plan to do pretty much all of the above if I can get a decent smoker. Just tough deciding what I need without ever discovering through necessity of actual use. Don't want to spend too much, but don't want any regrets either.

ram222 said:
Does anyone know the best amount of time for deer jerky in a dehydrator (which has one standard temp)?!

I can't imagine it's more than a day or two tops ram22 - being so lean you just have to wait for all the moisture to be gone.

ram222 said:
I figured it out! Pictures of the end result below! I used some scotch bonnets that I had dehydrated for an extra spice as well as cayenne pepper powder. This is teriyaki flavored as well, so it's a sweet and spicy batch!

Excellent job! looks really tasty

I figured it out! Pictures of the end result below! I used some scotch bonnets that I had dehydrated for an extra spice as well as cayenne pepper powder. This is teriyaki flavored as well, so it's a sweet and spicy batch!

[/quo

I want some of that right now! Looks amazing.

Back