• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

stickman said:
I think they OW well, but they're Aphid magnets. If you do decide to try it, I hope you have much better luck than I did.
Same here. I overwintered a Manzano and a Rocoto plant (my first time) this year. I finally gave up the aphid battle about 3 weeks ago, and threw the plants outside to freeze to death. It's a shame too, because it's warm enough now (3 weeks later) to keep them outside during the day, and I've seen a bunch of ladybugs buzzing around here lately. I was so close to making it through the Winter! UGHH!!!

Best of luck!

stickman said:

I think they OW well, but they're Aphid magnets. The little bastiges seem to like them better than any other chile variety. The winter I tried to keep 3 varieties, they were all over the Manzano and ignored the others. This winter I tried to OW the Pube I got last season from Freeport Bum... I'd have sworn I cleaned it up enough after washing out the root ball, re-potting in fresh soil and spraying the leaves and stems with Pyrethrin, but the little bastiges still came back three times!  :banghead:  I think they must have migrated from one or more of my Wife's potted plants. Each time I spotted a new infestation and sprayed with the pyrethrin a portion of the leaves died. The third time killed the plant. If you do decide to try it, I hope you have much better luck than I did.

Wow!

OK, but they will live outside and be brought into the shop if it freezes. I am NOT an Aphid fan!

MikeUSMC said:
Same here. I overwintered a Manzano and a Rocoto plant (my first time) this year. I finally gave up the aphid battle about 3 weeks ago, and threw the plants outside to freeze to death. It's a shame too, because it's warm enough now (3 weeks later) to keep them outside during the day, and I've seen a bunch of ladybugs buzzing around here lately. I was so close to making it through the Winter! UGHH!!!

Best of luck!

Thanks Mike!

I watch for the tiny black ants around here, they farm the Aphids. Sorry for your loss!

Wow, you done an amazing job, Scott. Garden looks really well, that must have been a lot of work. Keep it up, all looks top notch! I see you growing the BOC, you will love it I'm sure of it. Although don't let the looks deceive you, it is very hot :)

meatfreak said:
Wow, you done an amazing job, Scott. Garden looks really well, that must have been a lot of work. Keep it up, all looks top notch! I see you growing the BOC, you will love it I'm sure of it. Although don't let the looks deceive you, it is very hot :)

Thanks Stefan!

I thrive on being able  work play in the garden ;)  This is the first time growing the BOC, that one is from Chuck and I have a younger one from Gary in the wings ;)  I hope they taste good!

randyp said:
Looks good Scott.Weather will keep you on your toes for sure.I see you have purple jals going.I tried orange last year and the flavor did not impress maybe I had the wrong kind?

Thanks Randy!

Tis is the first time planting the purple jal, Adam (maxcapsium) sent me those seeds a few years back and I decided to give it a whirl. I let you know ;)

Been a busy week here! Will post some pics tomorrow!

Just checking in Scott put a pic or 2 up of the girls (blue Lacy fur faces) lol be great to see them in your yard mate.

If they are anything like my hound he follows me everywhere, anything planted in the garden his nose is in the hole first lol. Everything gets a over site by him.

Keep up your good work.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Just checking in Scott put a pic or 2 up of the girls (blue Lacy fur faces) lol be great to see them in your hard mate.

If they are anything like my hound he follows me everywhere, anything planted in the garden his nose is in the hole first lol. Everything gets a over site by him.

Keep up your good work.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sim,

Dogs are why I fenced the garden in the first place, because they like to "help". As in dig up anything I plant. They feel the need to "re-plant" ;)

I went and grabbed a few pics, you would think I was pointing a gun at them, and that they knew what it was..

180.jpg

This is Marli.

181.jpg

Pudding, she loves to kill pack rats ;)  It's in her genes.

182.jpg

Charli, the wild one!

Hi Rick!

We just used a tomato sauce LB came up with. Garden grown tom's, fresh basil, oregano with some olive oil, and a dash garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.

The plants are doing well, the weather is conducive to nice growth and fruit setting.

183.jpg

Large Orange Thai, ready to pour on the pod production.

184.jpg

Saw the Lady Bug, then the ants, and a few Aphids. We're expecting rain, so Ma Nature has this one.

185.jpg

Poblano had a few pods.

186.jpg

Jimmy Nardello ready for business.

189.jpg

Gochu should have the first ripe pods.

190.jpg

I believe this is the B-Goat, forking nicely with the start of some flowers :dance:

191.jpg

One of the GD plants.

192.jpg

We will have pods soon!

193.jpg

Mr. Kurt aka-Kurtovska Kapijas loading up!

187.jpg

Got the rest of the mulch down. The initial pile of mature mulch was about 7'x20'x3' high, it's almost gone now. I have a few more plants that need a final home. I may just pot them up. You can see here I scaled back some, still planted way more than we can use. :drooling:

188.jpg

The plants in the Hugel Bed are doing much better than I expected for a the first year ;)

Thanks for sharing the dog pictures Scott, Marli seems a bit camera shy :lol: Charlie looks a bundle of mischief , i love dogs that master ratting , how old is Pudding ?
My friend has a big chicken compound in our woods and his dog ( Border terrier x Staffy) kills rats as big as cats :shocked: :lol:

plants are looking good buddy and nice to see them podding up. Whats the purple foliar one looks similar to Tristan and Pauls PDN x BMJ ,lovely looking what ever it is .
How much longer before the real heat starts kickin in . ?

Back