• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Scott, things around your place are looking really good. nice pods and plants. im still waiting for some production but I have some time to go, not to mention the amount of stress i put the guys through on their way to the new place. Great job, Oh and BTW, I have a lemon drop doing really well that made it through the move :dance:

tsurrie said:
Nice haul Scott and I love those garden pics. It's good to see the plants are hanging there in that heat you have. And that P. Dreadie looks like a delicious pepper.

Keep it up. Enjoy gardening. Take care.

Thanks Uros!

It's been very hot! from 97-101° for the last 3 weeks. Somehow the peppers are doing it. ;)

The P. Dreadie's are a really nice pepper; not spanking hot so one can pile it on with eggs in the morning, or on a dinner plate :P

Blitz527 said:
Scott, things around your place are looking really good. nice pods and plants. im still waiting for some production but I have some time to go, not to mention the amount of stress i put the guys through on their way to the new place. Great job, Oh and BTW, I have a lemon drop doing really well that made it through the move :dance:

Thanks Alex!

I looked at your glog yesterday and you're ready to rock!

LB and I go to a Mexican restaurant once a week; been going there for several years. They have thee best hot sauce I have ever had in an eatery. I've been bringing Eric, one of the chefs some White Bhut's, B-Goats, and B.O.C.'s for a few weeks. He bought us lunch, and we were talking hot sauce. He said the hot sauce they make there is super simple. And I was able to copy it! Great stuff!

Here's my first try:

1 28oz. can of whole San Marzano tomatoes. The one we use has no water. It's whole tom's in a very heavy sauce.
5 5" long store bought (hot) Jalapeno peppers. We're out of garden grown (they don't last), and this time of year here, they're pretty hot. So in reaching your level of heat, add what you think will work. The restaurant makes the sauce too hot for most, my wife won't eat it....but it's just right.

To make it:

Deep fry the jalapeno's until they just start to blacken, 10-15 minutes depending on the temp. Paper towel them to remove the oil. I used olive oil.
add the tomatoes and peppers to the blender and liquefy. Add some salt to taste, and maybe some water to get the consistency where you want it. I added a few ounces of water. Let it sit overnight in the fridge.
And the next day perfection! IMHO ;)  Divide and freeze what you won't eat right away as it's a fresh sauce.

Some pics:

392.jpg

Getting ready for a trip, and I want to keep the garden going. I just tossed 3 of the cheapo timers that connect directly to the faucet. They last for the vacation and just fail soon afterwards. I've even taken them apart; they're not fouled with anything, they just fail. So what you see cost around $135 for the timer and 2 valves. The timers can control 6 stations (valves). The timer was $75 and the valves $23.99 from the rainbird site. Tax brought up up to the $135. I set this up with an inline filter using the "old" well. It tested great. I have just one valve online, the other will be to water the fruit trees (later). I'm impressed with the system. The construction is solid and the valves snap with authority when cycled. I had it set to water for 2 hours this morning. Half way through the cycle the pressure dropped and the wobbler sprinklers slowed way down. After the cycle I checked the filter, a new filter BTW. And it was packed with sand. So I switched the source to the "new" well. We use it for the house, and it doesn't push the sand. It better not for what it cost...LOL

393.jpg

Something I've been working on since last weekend. Call me a glutton for punishment; I've been doing this in the 97-100° heat (hey I moved here) ;)

Between the rows I used old UPS conveyor belt material and covered it with mulch. No weeds there for sure. This stuff is indestructible. 10 years ago it was used for the walkways at the deer lease, so when it rained we had no mud issues. I wish I had more!

394.jpg

My Lemmon Drop GD plant, still a hangin' in the hella hot temps. I hope it hangs until January!

395.jpg

Somehow most of the plants are doing well. Production has stopped, or really slowed down due to the temps. I guess I'll see what they do :shh:

396.jpg

Aji Oro, not caring how dang hot it is outside and setting pods ;)  I'm amazed!

397.jpg

The container gals under the mega Live Oak. All the pubes, the P. Dreadie's, B.O.C.'s, ScotchBrain, and a few others. Speaking of the ScotchBrain. Tasted one tonight, good yellow pepper flavor and the heat was less than I expected. I was thinking it would have a burn your face off heat. Not so in this case. So another keeper! I like a hot pepper I can cut a chunk off and eat without it tearing me up. Or..maybe my tolerance is back to normal? I dunno, normal and me in one sentence just doesn't seem right....

398.jpg

The pepper gods continue to bless us with just enough keep us going ;)

399.jpg

Bhut! The pepper gods have demanded we share 40-50% of our crop with the pepper gobblers. I had one plant with 7-8 peppers that went ripe. One was not chewed on. So as Roseanne Roseannadanna always said "it's always something".

Well done, brother Scott.

Thanks for the recipe. I use one like that with dried Arbol and a little garlic. Basic taco shop. I like the fresh, fried Jalapeño recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

I'm glad the timer and valves are working out. I want to do the same next year.

Plants looking really good. Glad you liked the Scotch Brain. Yeah, it's not a melt you down pepper, but a good amount of heat as well as flavor. How did you like the BOC. I apologize if you already said so. I can't remember much these days. LOL!

Thanks for sharing. BTW, New beds look killer.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Great looking system you have there! I'm glad you are able to still grow, despite the brutal heat. I had a feeling the aji oro would thrive in your environment in the right hands. That is a seriously heat resistant Pubescens cultivar.

Thanks Dale!

And thanks for the seeds! The wife is hooked on the Aji Dulce and the Aji Amarillo. She hasn't tried the Oro's yet, as "someone" ate them all ;)

I'm hoping that system will last, and it should, I hear peeps saying 10 years out and still running. I certainly don't mind spending $$$ for good equipment, as long as it's good ;)

bpiela said:
My mind is blown.  How do you just whip out work like that while doing a tech job as well?  Inspirational!  Thanks for the hot sauce recipe.  Sounds like one I could make.

Hi Ben!

Well after working my arse off for 25 years, 60 plus hours a week as an auto tech, the change to IT, and working for a school district makes me feel like I'm semi retired (don't tell my bosses) ;)

I go in early and do my 8 by 2:30. Using the brain all day at work makes me want to do some labor :shh: On the weekends I'm out there at first light while it's cool.

Enjoy the hot sauce, it's easy to make and a winner in my book.

OCD Chilehead said:
Well done, brother Scott.

Thanks for the recipe. I use one like that with dried Arbol and a little garlic. Basic taco shop. I like the fresh, fried Jalapeño recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

I'm glad the timer and valves are working out. I want to do the same next year.

Plants looking really good. Glad you liked the Scotch Brain. Yeah, it's not a melt you down pepper, but a good amount of heat as well as flavor. How did you like the BOC. I apologize if you already said so. I can't remember much these days. LOL!

Thanks for sharing. BTW, New beds look killer.

Thanks Chuck!

You will like the recipe, and then as you choose build on it. I've been trying to find out what seasoning gives it that unique flavor for quite awhile. It's not the seasonings, it's the deep fried jals.
I'm really excited about the new system actually working for awhile. Now that would be special ;)
Now I'm wondering if drip irrigation with the new well with the cleaner water would work. It's been 20 years (time flies) since I last tried.
The ScotchBrain IS a keeper, and I have seeds drying so I can send them once dried. I left them 1 full week on the plant once they turned yellow, so I'm hoping they matured.
I have some B.O.C. in the fridge to try. It's next on my list; I have feeling it will be a hot one :dance:
The new beds are to stop me from tilling..LOL

My wife's favorites are also the aji dulce and aji amarillo. She also really likes aji pacae. I'll get you some aji pacae seeds at the end of this season. I know how it goes with the aji oros vanishing from the garden. Those are one of my go to pick and munch peppers. They taste oddly better when picked in 90+ degrees and eaten immediately. Maybe it's the warm Pubescens juice...IDK.

Devv said:
LB and I go to a Mexican restaurant once a week; been going there for several years. They have thee best hot sauce I have ever had in an eatery. I've been bringing Eric, one of the chefs some White Bhut's, B-Goats, and B.O.C.'s for a few weeks. He bought us lunch, and we were talking hot sauce. He said the hot sauce they make there is super simple. And I was able to copy it! Great stuff!

Here's my first try:

1 28oz. can of whole San Marzano tomatoes. The one we use has no water. It's whole tom's in a very heavy sauce.
5 5" long store bought (hot) Jalapeno peppers. We're out of garden grown (they don't last), and this time of year here, they're pretty hot. So in reaching your level of heat, add what you think will work. The restaurant makes the sauce too hot for most, my wife won't eat it....but it's just right.

To make it:

Deep fry the jalapeno's until they just start to blacken, 10-15 minutes depending on the temp. Paper towel them to remove the oil. I used olive oil.
add the tomatoes and peppers to the blender and liquefy. Add some salt to taste, and maybe some water to get the consistency where you want it. I added a few ounces of water. Let it sit overnight in the fridge.
And the next day perfection! IMHO ;)  Divide and freeze what you won't eat right away as it's a fresh sauce.

Some pics:

392.jpg

Getting ready for a trip, and I want to keep the garden going. I just tossed 3 of the cheapo timers that connect directly to the faucet. They last for the vacation and just fail soon afterwards. I've even taken them apart; they're not fouled with anything, they just fail. So what you see cost around $135 for the timer and 2 valves. The timers can control 6 stations (valves). The timer was $75 and the valves $23.99 from the rainbird site. Tax brought up up to the $135. I set this up with an inline filter using the "old" well. It tested great. I have just one valve online, the other will be to water the fruit trees (later). I'm impressed with the system. The construction is solid and the valves snap with authority when cycled. I had it set to water for 2 hours this morning. Half way through the cycle the pressure dropped and the wobbler sprinklers slowed way down. After the cycle I checked the filter, a new filter BTW. And it was packed with sand. So I switched the source to the "new" well. We use it for the house, and it doesn't push the sand. It better not for what it cost...LOL

393.jpg

Something I've been working on since last weekend. Call me a glutton for punishment; I've been doing this in the 97-100° heat (hey I moved here) ;)

Between the rows I used old UPS conveyor belt material and covered it with mulch. No weeds there for sure. This stuff is indestructible. 10 years ago it was used for the walkways at the deer lease, so when it rained we had no mud issues. I wish I had more!

394.jpg

My Lemmon Drop GD plant, still a hangin' in the hella hot temps. I hope it hangs until January!

395.jpg

Somehow most of the plants are doing well. Production has stopped, or really slowed down due to the temps. I guess I'll see what they do :shh:

396.jpg

Aji Oro, not caring how dang hot it is outside and setting pods ;)  I'm amazed!

397.jpg

The container gals under the mega Live Oak. All the pubes, the P. Dreadie's, B.O.C.'s, ScotchBrain, and a few others. Speaking of the ScotchBrain. Tasted one tonight, good yellow pepper flavor and the heat was less than I expected. I was thinking it would have a burn your face off heat. Not so in this case. So another keeper! I like a hot pepper I can cut a chunk off and eat without it tearing me up. Or..maybe my tolerance is back to normal? I dunno, normal and me in one sentence just doesn't seem right....

398.jpg

The pepper gods continue to bless us with just enough keep us going ;)

399.jpg

Bhut! The pepper gods have demanded we share 40-50% of our crop with the pepper gobblers. I had one plant with 7-8 peppers that went ripe. One was not chewed on. So as Roseanne Roseannadanna always said "it's always something".
Great to see all the colors happening my friend !  got a long way to go yet ,    :party:

Scott things look great my friend.Love your water setup.Do me one favor.Don't play in that heat.Dirt work in morning or evening buddy.Just like scooping heavy snow, excessive heat is hard on our ticker. :shh:

Thegreenchilemonster said:
My wife's favorites are also the aji dulce and aji amarillo. She also really likes aji pacae. I'll get you some aji pacae seeds at the end of this season. I know how it goes with the aji oros vanishing from the garden. Those are one of my go to pick and munch peppers. They taste oddly better when picked in 90+ degrees and eaten immediately. Maybe it's the warm Pubescens juice...IDK.

So far all the seeds you sent me last year are winners! And it's very important to me to see LB finally using peppers in our meals. We don't eat from "the box", she really cooks from scratch. In reality I should weigh 350lbs lol. I'm thinking the pubes will really produce come September as the weather turns more favorable. Thanks again!

Back