• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

stickman said:
S'right brother... so what if the Kapijas crossed with the Urfa Bibers, like you said, it's all good! Let me know if you want clean seed though. I sequester mine so I can get those big, meaty Kapija pods for making Ajvar. :drooling:

So the fat lady sang for the 'Maters... it looks like they had a good run. What was your final tally on the harvest? Nice to see your Chinense varieties pumping out the pods and beginning to color up! Cheers!

Thanks Rick!

I may well take you up on the Kapijas seed, being both plants grew Urfa Biber type pods. Thanks for the offer ;)

Maters did OK, I pulled most, down to 5-6 plants. So far about 24 quarts canned, and we still have half a kitchen table ful..LOL
We had a rough year with a stink bug invasion, they damaged quite a few of the fruits. This is not the typical stink bug, it's one that looks similar to an assassin bug.

I'm really pleased to have pods out there ;)  I was afraid this was going to be the "3 strikes your out" year. The only plants not loaded down are the MoA's. And with temps in the high 90's + they may not make. I'm seriously considering potting 2 of them.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Scottie!

WalkGood said:
Scott,
stopped by to say hola, pics and grow look great \o/
WalkGood,
Ramon
Ramon!  So good to see your name on the forum, my friend!
The JA Red Habs you and Devv sent some seasons ago are
doing great - biggest early pods I've seen.  Hopefully the
summer pods will be as big and blocky as they have been in
the past!

You take care of yourself, buddy!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice to see some color in the garden. Hope some of your Aji Oro's set some pods. The BOC's are looking true. I think you will like that one.

I hope to see some color one of these months. LOL.

Keep it green my friend.

Thanks Chuck!

Running late this year ;)  Another lesson learned, and to be rectified next season! I have some cool ideas in my head, soon to be implemented :shh:

The color will be there shortly. The good thing is many of the plants are kinda sorta loaded up. Vacation in 30 days, trying to figure out how to keep things going when I'm away.

I'm over due on pics.....was out of town.

PaulG said:
Sorry to hijack your thread, Scottie!

Ramon!  So good to see your name on the forum, my friend!
The JA Red Habs you and Devv sent some seasons ago are
doing great - biggest early pods I've seen.  Hopefully the
summer pods will be as big and blocky as they have been in
the past!

You take care of yourself, buddy!

You run with it Paul! He's surely missed....

Trident chilli said:
Hope you have sorted out the bugs ... I can empathise with you about going away during the grow but enjoy your holiday

Hi John!

Most likely by July 20th the dirt portion of the grow will be toast. That's our first trip date. We're currently seeing 100°, I'm already tiring of that!

However, I will endeavor to keep all the container plants alive ;)

The shop is insulated, so that may be the route I take. I have 30 days to sort it out!

randyp said:
How are things holding up Scott.?

Hi Randy!

They're hanging in there despite the heat. And most are already podded up pretty well, enough so I'll be set for the season.

360.jpg

I have a few with this many pods and many with a few less. This one is a White Bhut.

The maters.....well they're done already.

362.jpg

They used to could be here :shh:

I'll have more pics put up this weekend. I'm inside hiding from the heat at the moment :confused:

randyp said:
Stay cool my friend.I will be sending a box later you will be able to supplement your saucing needs.

Always appreciated my friend!

It did cool down yesterday, a storm that passed us by brought temps down 20°, we didn't get much rain but we did get some temp related relief. And that's a good thing because the AC quit. I came inside and LB said "I think the AC quit". I went and had a look, it was froze up and then went into defrost mode, uh, which is heat (heat pump). I noticed this pretty quick whilst checking it out as the suction line was hot and the high side was cold. Long story cut short, the contactor was stuck on, now freed up and new one is ordered.

A few from the grow:

363.jpg

Here in container land, the Aji Oro said screw the hot weather, I'm not ready to quit podding yet. ;)  It's been ten days of over 97° with at least 5 @ 100°. Needless to say I'm impressed!

364.jpg

The Mini Red Rocoto is just plain happy, just now flowering again.

365.jpg

B.O.C., color is happening!

366.jpg

367.jpg

368.jpg

ScotchBrains...Frank, these don't have the badass tails yours have. But I'm sure the pain is there. Speaking of pain, it's taken me 2 full years since the nuclear meds dosages to be able to eat real heat again. What a blessing!

369.jpg

P. Dreadie's, what a fine pepper once applied to an egg sammi ;)

371.jpg

372.jpg

My 2 P.Dreadie's in #7 pots. I had them isolated until the 100° temps hit, now in semi shade. I will be saving seeds from the older pods.

378.jpg

I have 4 poblano plants, a great cooking pepper we use all the time. I think we need more next year ;)

373.jpg

374.jpg

Shots North of the garden, first to the East, second to the West.

386.jpg

375.jpg

I have two "beasts" this year. The Aji Lemon (top) and the Large Orange Thai.

377.jpg

Finally some flowers

376.jpg

Also setting pods, finally, and a friend ;)

379.jpg

Gochu, round 2!

381.jpg

OW JA Hab: a slow rebound with some color ;)

382.jpg

Random shot, some long day Onions still going. The short day Onions are long harvested. This was an experiment.

383.jpg

384.jpg

Aji Amarillo: first year growing this, it WILL be in the garden next year. Thanks Dale! LB loves this pepper.

385.jpg

380.jpg

Except for 2 mater plants, all I have going in the garden are peppers, those Onions, and Squash that I snipped at ground level. . As you can see the heat is rough on the maters. The one above is an Amish Paste, Eric sent me seeds. It was a late start that shows promise!

Overall I'm impressed with the gardens performance with the 10 date heat wave (97-100°). I'm gonna let it run and see what it does.

Thanks for stopping by ;)

Scott
you have some killer pods, and great to see BOC ripening up on the vine. 2 nd round of Ricks Gochu :shocked: :lol: they good tasting like Rick says.....One annum i cannot wait for this season.
Whole yard is doing your proud in nucleur heat buddy....Id be pouring a cold one :crazy: :lol: :cheers:
great effort.

Bhuter said:
Oh yeah, Scott! Showin' us how it's done! Ripening pods already? Man, I can wait for fresh pods. Nice color on the B.O.C. I grew it last year and am growing it again this year. A fantastic variety! Your 2 "Beasts" are indeed beastly! Wow! Your whole grow looks fantastic! Great work!

-Adam

Thanks Adam!

I got off to slow start this season; playing my cards a bit differently. It seems to be paying off as the plants are handling the heat much better than in years past. I can't believe I'm having pod set happen during that 10 murderous days of heat we just had. This is my first time growing the B.O.C. I can't wait to try out the pods ;)

Superhot Sim said:
Scott
you have some killer pods, and great to see BOC ripening up on the vine. 2 nd round of Ricks Gochu :shocked: :lol: they good tasting like Rick says.....One annum i cannot wait for this season.
Whole yard is doing your proud in nucleur heat buddy....Id be pouring a cold one :crazy: :lol: :cheers:
great effort.

Thanks Sim!

We use the Gochu's a lot when preparing supper. I also fell in love with the Aji Amarillo this season. A nice all around pepper. I had homemade shrimp scampi over linguini with a white bhut thrown in for good measure last night. I really need to post the recipe because it was to die for ;)

Scott, I ran across something I promised you a year ago.The opening to ACDC "Thunderstruck" Brian Johnsons last show with the band in Kc I was at.It is of poor quality but still gives me goosebumps.Hope you don't mind putting it on here for you.Happy 4rth buddy'

Now I'm jealous Randy! I should have went to see them before Brian retired. I live vicariously via youtube ;)

Been really slacking on my glog, I don't know where the time goes anymore. Anyone else out there thinking the days go by faster?

The garden has been producing, but not in large amounts.

389.jpg

Just enough to keep us in the heat ;)

390.jpg

Annuum's still a going ;)

388.jpg

A few pubes are actually setting in all this Tejas heat

Back